Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,298 Posts
One thing t o note, and I'll do some investigating in a bit... I believe there was a change in 67, so the switches dont adjust the same, which could definitely affect the activation. It happened to me and I found out that I bought a switch for a later year.

Dont quote me on this.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,298 Posts
I was wondering about that too. My info was from a later year, but was the only bit that I could find.
It does specifically list 69 and up, so one would assume that there is a 67-68 switch out there somewhere...

Ames lists this one for 66-77, specifically stating that it worked for the 2 speed in 66, however... it seems contradictory to me that one switch covers 66-77, and another covers 69-72.

The mere fact that this issue exists, leads me to believe that we need to investigate.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,298 Posts
Not sure my switch is the same one in the diagram.

The one in the diagram looks like a switch box with a shaft that moves back and forth in it. You appear to push it all the way forward (toward the engine), then use the gas pedal to "set" activation depth when pished all the way down. I get that.

My switch is sliding switch with a shaft that protrudes perpendicularly from the switch that engages the pedal. There is no adjutability to it. Here is the thread for the one I bought and installed:

do I have the wrong switch? Or am I somehow botching this simple procedure
So... am I to assume that after all this crap, it's still not downshifting?

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,298 Posts
Thanks guys, for all the info.

Some clarifications:

1. I have to assume the car has the '66 pedal assembly bracketry, but not sure
2. the system once worked! my OLD trans was a '69 TH400 (PX-69-34722). Kickdown used to work on this trans, then stopped. I replaced the switch with the new referenced one while this trans was still in car. No workey.
3. I replaced the old kickdown switch with an identical new switch for TH400s.
4. I replaced the entire TH400 last month with a known fully functioning (including solenoid) TCI Streetfighter trans (later model case with metric bolts). Trans works great, but still no kickdown.
5. single terminal solenoid on old and current trans. Solenoid confirmed hooked up (verified this when I changed the pan)

Writing all this out makes me thing something is amiss in the wiring, so I guess I'll have to go down the test light road. :(
There would pretty much have to be, at this point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts