Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my car I was told the trans was rebuilt w/ a shift kit. The car sqwacked the tires in 2nd and third. One day when it shifted in to 2nd instead of sqwacking it shifted real smooth and mad a sqeeling sound and has been doing it since. Now I have tranny fluid leaking. I have not had a chance to get under there. Now the car no longer chirps em. The sound it makes when it shifts at high rpm sounds like a belt squeel. Could it be the vacuum modulator??Any ideas would be appreciated..

Mike

·
Registered
155 Posts
usally not the modulator. where is it leaking fluid? what rpm did it shift at, what rpm now? if the paasanger side round cover it is the govener, they have springs and weights in there sometimes they break, it would shift at a lower rpm. if leaking out of the front, where torque convertor goes you may have balloned the convertor and need a new convertor. if it is leaking out of the top over flow you probaly crack a clutch sheel and need a trans rebuild. when getting rebuilt pay the xtra for race proven parts, extra clutches. then you will never have to rebuild again and add the largest external trans cooler you can get

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
It sounds like you blew a front pump seal. It would be leaking at the front of the trans, near the torque converter. Auto trannies use hydraulic pressure to shift: the higher the pressure, the firmer the shift. If the pump is leaking, you won't have enough line pressure to apply the clutches with enough force to cope with the engine torque: results: soft shifts, noises. It sounds like a teardown and inspection is in order. Good advice from Auburnconsulting, also. Once properly gone thru, TH400's are pretty much bulletproof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts