Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucky for us we're fortunate enough to have a forum to share issues. I picked up my goat last Saturday. On the way home, I thought the ride seemed really bouncy and I remembered reading here that the tires come really pumped up from the factory to avoid flat spotting the tires on the long boat ride over to the U.S. Sure enough, I got out my tire pressure gauge and the readings were 50 p.s.i. all the way around. I promptly dropped the air back down to recommended specs. Big difference in ride and handling. I don't understand how some dealers keep missing these things. At least they took the blocks out of the springs. :willy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My tires were at 25 PSI when I get home. I figure the dealer did their job and originally had them at 30 PSI as recommended. With the cold in PA, I could see why they had dropped to 25.

It made me feel good about the dealer. I had test driven a Goat at a different dealer a month and a half before I bought mine, and I remember it being hellishly jarring when going over bumps in the road. I'm pretty sure I know why.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thrashed said:
Lucky for us we're fortunate enough to have a forum to share issues. I picked up my goat last Saturday. On the way home, I thought the ride seemed really bouncy and I remembered reading here that the tires come really pumped up from the factory to avoid flat spotting the tires on the long boat ride over to the U.S. Sure enough, I got out my tire pressure gauge and the readings were 50 p.s.i. all the way around. I promptly dropped the air back down to recommended specs. Big difference in ride and handling. I don't understand how some dealers keep missing these things. At least they took the blocks out of the springs. :willy:

Mine were at 44 psi all the way around when I got home.. I just happen to check mine though I really did not notice a difference in the ride

·
Registered
42 Posts
Same here...mine were 42lbs all around. My car seems to sway more than expected though. By this I mean the steering is not as tight as I thought it would be. Or am I just being too picky? Anyone else feel this way? Or is it normal? The steering seems tighter on my GTP and I had a 96 Cobra that felt like it could out corner my goat no problem....maybe I'm getting off topic here though

·
Registered
50 Posts
MY05GTO said:
Same here...mine were 42lbs all around. My car seems to sway more than expected though. By this I mean the steering is not as tight as I thought it would be. Or am I just being too picky? Anyone else feel this way? Or is it normal? The steering seems tighter on my GTP and I had a 96 Cobra that felt like it could out corner my goat no problem....maybe I'm getting off topic here though
I brought my air down to 36 lbs in each is that about right??? I have not had BF Goodrich tires before so I am not sure how they are gonna wear (unless I slam the gas and then I know what will happen to the rear tires :lol: )

I agree with you on the swaying of the car. I was describing in a different thread that the goat really shows it weight in the corners it feels heavy and does not feel like it could corner very well.. My TA was better in the corner than the goat. I think it has a lot to do the IRS.. This is the first car that I have driven with complete independant suspension so I may be wrong in my thoughts.. I do know that the car reacts well in the corner with the right throttle response.. so no I don't think you are picky I just think it is gonna take some getting used to Any other opinions out there ???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just FYI but per the placard on the inside of the door, the recommended pressure is 35 PSI cold, all the way around.

Another thing to keep in mind as well, is that for every 10* of ambient temperature change, there will be 1 PSI of change as well. So if your dealer prepped the car in the shop at say 70* and put 35 PSI in the tires, then it sat outside in 20* air it will drop to 30 PSI as that is a 50* drop in temp, meaning a 5 PSI drop in pressure. The reverse is also true in the summer.

Moral of the story, you should check your tire pressures once a week, but at the very least once a month and pay close attention when the temps change.

Oh and one other note. A tire that has been driven on usually gains 4 PSI as well, so if you are checking the tire pressure after driving (even just a few short miles) make sure you take that 4 PSI into consideration and set them to 39 PSI. That way when they cool they will be back at the recommended 35 PSI.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Doesn't anyone read the manual? On page 5-59 in the 04 GTO manual it recomends the correct tire pressure for various load conditions. The door sticker recomends 35 psi. The manual recomends 35 psi for heavier loads. Normal loads should be 30 psi. As an after thought I was wondering if anyone complaining of wheel hop in the quater mile tried different tire presures or different tires?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.