Pontiac GTO Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
Its healing nicely. Most the bruising is gone. Swelling is nearly gone, havent lost the nail. WHich the DR. said I probably wouldnt. I actually wore a shoe yesterday and was able to do some yard work.

ouch!!!!!

On my 69 I had just finished welding in a patch on the filler panel between the trunk opening and the rear window, in the corner close to one of the trunk hinges. The hinge was in the way so my bright idea was to take a heavy pry bar and wedge it across the corner of the trunk opening so that it would hold the hinge down and out of the way. Worked great. After I finished welding I needed to work one of the seams just a little bit with a body hammer. Taptaptap... taptap... tap.. WHAM!!!! The lights went out, I saw stars, and the left side of my head hurt like all get out. I put my hand up to the side of my face and it came back bloody --- not good. It took me half a minute or so to figure out what had happened. The work with the hammer had bounced one end of the pry bar loose, whereupon the full force of the trunk hinge spring was free to hurl it up 'side my head. It missed my eye by less than an inch. Ow.

Bear

I almost caught a trunk hinge myself, had a wood rod holding it, I got lucky. My buddy caught a hood hinge from an old Monte Carlo in the Chin... Yep, he ended up in the ER with a cracked jaw, really painfull and dumb. I hate hinges.. I use a 1X6 now, holds them down good for the trunk and "shouldn't" slip..

Bear that reminds me of the time I got blindsided running a drag route in high school football practice... I never even saw the linebacker running up, just a flash of white light and then everything went black. It felt like I was falling through the air forever and it took me a while to get up.

ouch!!!!!

On my 69 I had just finished welding in a patch on the filler panel between the trunk opening and the rear window, in the corner close to one of the trunk hinges. The hinge was in the way so my bright idea was to take a heavy pry bar and wedge it across the corner of the trunk opening so that it would hold the hinge down and out of the way. Worked great. After I finished welding I needed to work one of the seams just a little bit with a body hammer. Taptaptap... taptap... tap.. WHAM!!!! The lights went out, I saw stars, and the left side of my head hurt like all get out. I put my hand up to the side of my face and it came back bloody --- not good. It took me half a minute or so to figure out what had happened. The work with the hammer had bounced one end of the pry bar loose, whereupon the full force of the trunk hinge spring was free to hurl it up 'side my head. It missed my eye by less than an inch. Ow.

Bear
At least you know you can still take a punch! :shutme:eek::willy:

In 1996, when I first got my 69 Goat running after it sat for 15 years, I kept hearing a ticking sound coming from the passenger side of the engine. I looked and saw #4 spark plug moving back and forth a little bit. So I thought hey, a loose spark plug, and then I grabbed the plug wire to see how loose it was. Well the car was still running, and I had button fly jeans on, leaning over the fender. ZZZZZAP right through the buttons! I had to sit down for a while, that is a feeling I will never forget! To this day I am VERY careful around ignition systems.

In 1996, when I first got my 69 Goat running after it sat for 15 years, I kept hearing a ticking sound coming from the passenger side of the engine. I looked and saw #4 spark plug moving back and forth a little bit. So I thought hey, a loose spark plug, and then I grabbed the plug wire to see how loose it was. Well the car was still running, and I had button fly jeans on, leaning over the fender. ZZZZZAP right through the buttons! I had to sit down for a while, that is a feeling I will never forget! To this day I am VERY careful around ignition systems.
Never pee on a running lawn mower spark plug.......just a heads up.:willy::willy::willy:

69Goatee, I have nothing for that except sympathy, that's terrible. I had a 90 5.0 mustang that had issues, so I grabbed on the fusable links wiggling them right next to the coil. When I pulled my hand out I pulled the coil wire off the coil and the car ran for a second using my wrist as a conductor, that sucked..
Bear, I used a couple of round 1/2" pipes to hold my trunk hinges down, and they rolled out, that's what taught me to use wood with grippage so it don't slip. Hinges will kill you if not carefull..

On my Camaro I have a 6AL and a blaster2 coil. The car wouldn't turn off. So I got a bright idea, I pulled off the coil wire at the coil and Thor reached in and touched my soul. I felt it in my teeth.

On my Camaro I have a 6AL and a blaster2 coil. The car wouldn't turn off. So I got a bright idea, I pulled off the coil wire at the coil and Thor reached in and touched my soul. I felt it in my teeth.
:eek: :eek: :eek: OUCH. That makes my fillings hurt just thinking about it.

OOH, that hurts, you win..
My buddy left the ignition module in the dizzy, and an MSD box. Something happened with the car, so he went to pull the wire off a plug and got the full charge from the coil and MSD.. He said he will never wire it with a module in the dizzy again.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.