Pontiac GTO Forum banner

The crap we go through for our cars

7K views 57 replies 15 participants last post by  jetstang 
#1 ·
Yesterday I was out in the garage moving my welding cart away from my car where I had been doing some welding on the inside the night before. While I was moving the welding cart the 1 of the argon bottles fell over and landed on my big toe and I was wearing flip flops. Now I wasnt going to be working just moving the cart away from the car otherwise I probably wouldnt have been in flip flops. Thought it broke my big toe and possibly still might have but it busted my toe open under the toe nail and gushed blood for a few hours. Got it all bandaged up. Feels alot better this morning though, I think the swelling has gone down some so Im gonna remove the bandage and see if its quit bleeding finally. But the toe nail is definatly going to be coming off.

#5 ·
Same here.

I was cutting up an old junker with the hot wrench and a ball of molten metal fell on the top of my foot. I just kicked it off. It burnt the piss out of me, but if I had shoes on, I might have not got it off. I had sandals on and my buddy was making fun of me and telling my I was stupid. (well that's a given mister obvious :p) Now if I had on heavy leather work boots like I should have, nothing would have happened.

I always say if your not bleeding your not working hard enough.

When it fell.....
Did you get into Orbit. tada-bah!

#3 ·
OUCH!

Not long ago, I was moving some items when I saw a drill falling from a shelf and heading for one of my cars. I reached my hand out to block the drill, which had a bit in it that went right through my hand.

I'm sure your toe hurt more though :) A toe getting busted under weight is 2nd only to a kick in the nuts.

#12 ·
Well I have 2 bottles the one strapped to the cart is empty. So I had the regulator hooked to the full bottle. And just didnt bother swapping the bottles out on the cart.

Here is the picture for the proof. And I finally went to the ER and the toe is broken in 3 places. Technically broken in 1 spot, fractured on the tip and chipped the bone in another spot.

I wasn't even going to do any welding. My neighbor brought some headers over to weld up and I was moving the welder away from my car where I had been welding the day before and thats when I tipped the argon bottle over. And I wear flip flops all the time nearly unless Im at work where Im required to wear boots.

#16 ·
I partially tore my thumbnail off yesterday trying to pull apart the connectors of a stereo wiring harness in my truck. It's throbbing and I can still feel every single heartbeat. Of course, I don't have a break, so I can only partially relate. Heal up, bro!

#26 ·
ouch!!!!!

On my 69 I had just finished welding in a patch on the filler panel between the trunk opening and the rear window, in the corner close to one of the trunk hinges. The hinge was in the way so my bright idea was to take a heavy pry bar and wedge it across the corner of the trunk opening so that it would hold the hinge down and out of the way. Worked great. After I finished welding I needed to work one of the seams just a little bit with a body hammer. Taptaptap... taptap... tap.. WHAM!!!! The lights went out, I saw stars, and the left side of my head hurt like all get out. I put my hand up to the side of my face and it came back bloody --- not good. It took me half a minute or so to figure out what had happened. The work with the hammer had bounced one end of the pry bar loose, whereupon the full force of the trunk hinge spring was free to hurl it up 'side my head. It missed my eye by less than an inch. Ow.

Bear

#29 ·
I almost caught a trunk hinge myself, had a wood rod holding it, I got lucky. My buddy caught a hood hinge from an old Monte Carlo in the Chin... Yep, he ended up in the ER with a cracked jaw, really painfull and dumb. I hate hinges.. I use a 1X6 now, holds them down good for the trunk and "shouldn't" slip..

#30 ·
Bear that reminds me of the time I got blindsided running a drag route in high school football practice... I never even saw the linebacker running up, just a flash of white light and then everything went black. It felt like I was falling through the air forever and it took me a while to get up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.