Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!
I have introduced myself previously but for those who missed it, my name is Scott and I have been a long time GTO lover and multiple GTO owner. I was introduced to the perfect car by a friend, he had a 70 Judge RAIII .... wow what a car. I got my first GTO when I was 17, a green 68. She was rough and had no motor or tranny which I quickly remedied with a 1975 police interceptor 400 out of a junked grand prix. I drove her daily up to the college years and then sadly parted ways with her due to the high cost of maintenance. Next up was my white 1969 GTO GOD I loved that car, I only had her for a little over a year when she was destroyed by a hail storm. I was unable at that stage in my life to bring a car back from that kind of devastation, so she too was sold. By 22 I felt it was time to try again so I bought a 1972 numbers matching GTO that had been partially restored, poorly. When I got married at 25 my wife made me get rid of her as it was not a responsible vehicle. I should have known that marriage was doomed from the start :D

That brings us to now, some 19 years later, a new wife, a new life and....my new baby. Marilyn. Rachel, my new wife, decided we needed a "project car" and she loved the 1969 GTO Judge in Carousel Red. We are not independently wealthy so we found the next best thing, a 1969 Tempest Custom S .... in Minnesota. Here she is the day we picked her up.

LOTS A JUNK IN THIS TRUNK! :D

Here she is on the way to her new home.

So Now finally at this stage of my life I don't need my classic GTO for a daily driver because I have a 2005 GTO for a daily driver WOOT! So, dis-assembly begins...and the restoration is ON!
:party:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day one of the "Project" 7-2-11

we got started over the holiday weekend with the dis-assembly.

Got the seats, carpets and door panels out, looks good so far....

Solid floor and trunk...

Dash is out, and all trunk and nose wiring and lighting is out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's always something.....

So far, all in all she's been in great shape. the only spot I am worried about so far is the package tray and back window, I am hoping after media blasting I don't find signs of poor body work there and that this is all just surface rust.

Speaking of, can anyone recommend a good media blaster in the Kansas City area?

I am optimistic, so far I have found one patch panel, welded in correctly, and it's obvious someone has used a rust inhibitor in the trunk and on the floor boards (POR 15 or something similar), so keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Looks like a real solid project you got there. Congrats.

Good move on having your lady involved. My wife soon learned if she wanted to spend any time with me, she knew where I was. :lol:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wife-----Car?????

I love Car.

The wife is cool also, but.

Congrats on the Car and a car friendly wife. I think it is 300 to 1 on GTOs vs wife that lets you spend time and money on them. The wife is a very rare option. I have had many many cars offered to me that where not practical any more for said husband aka friends.

If only I could get her out and work on them more then twice in the last decade. You are blessed my friend.

Oh and she loves the junkyard :rofl:.

"Nurse's shouldn't have to go to the junk yard" has a guy is walking by laughing. Why she is sitting in the gravel next to the parts car I am working on. With a screw driver she found, drawing who know what. Wearing pajama pants and Tee Shirt, and mouth a flapping. It was a kodak moment for sure.

Your barn looks super cool also.

Good luck on the project, hope that is all the rust that you find in on her.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wife-----Car?????

I love Car.

The wife is cool also, but.

Congrats on the Car and a car friendly wife. I think it is 300 to 1 on GTOs vs wife that lets you spend time and money on them. The wife is a very rare option. I have had many many cars offered to me that where not practical any more for said husband aka friends.

If only I could get her out and work on them more then twice in the last decade. You are blessed my friend.

Oh and she loves the junkyard :rofl:.

"Nurse's shouldn't have to go to the junk yard" has a guy is walking by laughing. Why she is sitting in the gravel next to the parts car I am working on. With a screw driver she found, drawing who know what. Wearing pajama pants and Tee Shirt, and mouth a flapping. It was a kodak moment for sure.

Your barn looks super cool also.

Good luck on the project, hope that is all the rust that you find in on her.

Barn... :lol:no that is my unfinished side of the garage. I am thinking about insulating it and air conditioning it after the past week or 10 days here in KC. It was so hot (how hot was it?) I was so hot over the weekend all I did was paint a few little parts (in the basement) and dream of what I want to do next. I wish I had the funds to do all I want to do to it NOW instead of having to do a little at a time. It drives me batty.

·
Registered
686 Posts
You got a silo on your house(1st pic barn and silo, or am I seen things)? I was in St. Louis till a few days ago and felt that heat!!! Came back to Ohio and it is hot but not that hot.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
You got a silo on your house(1st pic barn and silo, or am I seen things)? I was in St. Louis till a few days ago and felt that heat!!! Came back to Ohio and it is hot but not that hot.
I think the silo was at where he got the car at.. Nice project and great progress, looks like a non frame off build, clean car! Good luck and awaiting more pics.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I think that pic (silo) is where he GOT the car, not his house. Imagine the shop you could have in that barn though!!!!! Of course you would have to eat all the beef cows first!.....E:cheers

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
nice looking foundation, like Jet said not all of these cars require a frame off, looking back i am so glad the Tempest did not, no way i would have been able to get it done in 10 months by myself otherwise. At least you have the new Goat to fall back on when you need a little Pontiac Excitement. Keep plugging away at "Marilyn" (great name, classic and curvy) when the heat gets you have some basement projects set aside and do the big stuff as money allows. I was lucky enough to have a little windfall and get all my parts (or most of them) on the shelf before final assembly. Nice to have the wife involved also, that way the car is not your "Mistress".

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The barn and silo...

Yea the barn and silo were up in GOOD THUNDER Minnesota where I picked her up. Yea Good Thunder, can you think of a better name of a town to find an old Pontiac? :lol:

I wish I had that guys set up, he had an awesome shop (along with the barn and silo) if I had that kind of room I'd probably be building a rotisserie for this project.

So do you guys really think I can get away with NOT doing a full frame off restoration on this? I mean I'd like to save the money but I do want to do it right. When I found her I had dreams of not pulling the body off the frame and going full tilt but the more threads I have read on here it seams to do a disservice to these cars to not do it right and stop all the rust in it's tracks and make sure it's done right from the start. I want this car to out live me, or to be buried in it :D if at all possible.

Once it cools off a little I will have more pics up. I want to get the wiring out, pull the glass and then pull the motor and tranny and see what I have there. I am interested to get it pulled apart and see what shape it's in on the inside.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback, it's very motivational. :cheers

·
Registered
686 Posts
OK here is the skinny. Cage nuts suck and the bolts brake easy. If the floors and trunk are solid, leave it on and work around the frame. The less you have to disassemble the better. It is cheaper and faster to get it going that way. I have been working on my frame off for 9 years. It keeps getting a back seat to everything else. It had to have a frame off do to the floors, trunk, quarters, and window channels. Just trying to make one less parts car. If it had good floors then I would have just replaced the quarters and painted it up. Made the engine compartment look like new and freshen up the interior.
It does take lots of time and money even if you do all the work. Keep it simple sometimes is the best steps. Its up to you on what you want.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I guess media blasting will tell the tale then. If I get her back and she's clean I will scrap the frame off idea. I'd of course prefer to skip the extra work and expense and I am sure I can get her jacked up enough to get under her to seal the undercarriage with POR15.

And to answer one of the earlier posts yea I like the chrome nose too (the 68 version I got with her) BUT...I have a 69 endura and some of the hideaway components, including the elusive, super special, heavy duty, un-findable, hideaway headlight bumper brackets. So .... she will have a GTO nose and she will have hideaways. Anybody want a chrome 68 bumper? :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Damn that thing looks really solid! Good job on finding a wife that gets involved. Mine hates my hobby pretty much. But I aint chasing women, laying out drunk or getting high so thats my excuse!

Looks like you pulled her home with an Avalanche? I miss mine so much best vehicle I've ever owned.

Good luck with the build looks like you have a great project.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn that thing looks really solid! Good job on finding a wife that gets involved. Mine hates my hobby pretty much. But I aint chasing women, laying out drunk or getting high so thats my excuse!

Looks like you pulled her home with an Avalanche? I miss mine so much best vehicle I've ever owned.

Good luck with the build looks like you have a great project.
Hey Orbit, thanks man! She is a keeper for sure (the wife) :D
And Marilyn ain't bad either. We actually brought her home behind a Ford f-150 Lariat Edition with the Triton V-8 ....good truck.

Yea I am hurtin' cause I have not been able to work on her for the past 2 weeks been too damn hot. But I am getting out there this weekend for sure, gotta pull the engine and tranny ... found a 400 I am trading the tranny for.
So I will have some updates and more pics coming up next week.
:cheers

·
Registered
668 Posts
Keeping the wife involved is the best thing you can do, not making it a chore, but something fun to do will keep both of you motivated. My wife knows how I am about cars, and she knew going in that is the main focus of my life. Sure there are other priorities and kids and home come before cars, but cars are my passion. However, my woman doesnt like the shop or doing car work, but she doesnt try to prevent me from doing this and she encourages me. A huge difference from my ex. The only way it could be better for you is if she was an expert at body, paint, and transmissions.

I didnt do a frame off on the 70, mostly because I wanted to stop it from rusting and make it look better in the yard. Eventually it will get it, but it is no small task and I want that car to get the best possible rebuild which is currently out of the price range and the shop is busy. Until then, it is drivable and looks much better.

As long as it isnt rusty under there, dont worry about it. If the bolts come out easy then you can replace the bushings, but even that isnt mandatory. Not stripping the car to a bare shell saves time if everything is in satisfactory shape and you only replace the parts that need it. Something like Eric, Too many Projects, and my 65 takes lots of space, time, and equipment.

The first one will always take longer than the ones after it, if you do another one or even finish the first one. Most people dont finish a huge project, but they can finish one like you are doing. A big part of it is remembering where everything goes, but the hardest part about it is motivation. Staying focused and working even when it doesnt look like there is any progress is something you have to learn to do. Its not 'Overhaulin' speed when you are doing it yourself on a budget.

The car looks great, and its had some work done already so chances are it will be easy for you to finish. Keep posting pics.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I got a front clip for my 67 Camaro from a guy in Danville Illinois back in 1991. He had bought new for his 67 RS convert. All the body work was done and he keept putting off the painting. He was an over the road truck driver. So why he was out for most of a month his wife went out to the garage and painted it why he was gone. It looked great. I was in love!!!! Lucky SOB!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Thumpin covered it..
I've owned 90 some cars, 8 currently, and have never done a frame off. I dont' want to do one honestly, looks like a lot of work.. And my body work sucks, lol.. I have painted 30 or so cars, but handed that over to a buddy's shop, they take care of me, I do mechanical work for them. I bought body bushings for my 66, don't know if I'll install them or not. I have never felt body flex while driving a car, don't know what it feels like, lol.. I do poly suspension and sway bars. Do what the car needs and meet your wants, just don't take it beyond what is fun to you./:cheers

1 - 20 of 133 Posts