Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm glad I like this car without even driving it....some of you are way deeper than me. but I'm staring at 10 grand in receipts not including the cost of the car and many tools purchased to assist in the cars progress. and I haven't done paint, trim, the new front end, or some glass work. no power windows yet, no console yet, will need a new hood most likely, gotta find some rear tail lights.

I hope I never lose interest :eek:

in hindsight, I've got over 20 in my 03 cobra....so...ya :willy:

just wondering what you all have into your cars.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I have $4800 in my '65 GTO bought 29 years ago, including engine/trans overhauls in the early '80's and paint work in the mid '80's. This includes the price of the car, which was $1200. It's a real tripower/4 speed/gauges car. I have about the same amount into my '67 GTO, including two repaints and an engine overhaul, and two tranny rebuilds. Purchase price in '83 was $1800. Neither car has been restored or out of service since new. I'm glad I was into these cars when I was young.....it would be hard to afford them now!! A friend of mine just spent over 10 grand on just a paint job for his '65 GTO...things have sure changed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
So how long does a 10 thousand dollar paint job take?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd hate to know the answer to that question.

I was debating about going after a newer viper as I've wanted a viper all my life, but stumbled on this car and thought, I can do this for cheaper.....I'm only 15k off from my viper I was looking at. wondering what I can get out of a nice restomod once it is a little further along....hoping 12-13 without paint or more with paint.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
November of '11 will be 3 years I purchased my '70. I have in it as of now over 11K in parts and some labor, most of the labor is from friends, factor in a hundred or so for beer and eats.. Still not done.

I guess I am in the accelerated Git R Done program.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sometimes I think it would be better to just spend 20K on a cherry car. Let someone else loose the blood, sweat and benjamins. A resto project is like an anchor on your bank account.

I especially hate spending money on things that you can not see. I am 3K in and the car looks the same. I figure another 8K to make it look decent with a cheap paint job.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
The ten grand paint job took over two years (was promised to take 3 months). This was a straight california car that needed no floor or trunk work. Needed wome metal repair in the windhield channel and in the back window lower chanel. No rust or dents in any of the panels, and all panels original. In fact, an original paint car. Good door gaps, excellent body fit....never hit or wrecked. The job had to be redone because it was not color sanded before the clear was applied, so the paint looked like crepe paper. Also, the clear never got hard, so you couldn't toch the car, or you'd leave marks and prints. It's all "done" now, still in pieces, but nice and shiny (way too shiny for me....like wet glass). I'm trying to help the owner get motivated again to put the car back together. The paint on my '65 is starting to show its age, and I think I'm going to have to man up like some of the folks on this forum and redo it myself.....I can't go without my car for 2 years!!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Sometimes I think it would be better to just spend 20K on a cherry car. Let someone else loose the blood, sweat and benjamins. A resto project is like an anchor on your bank account.
wiser words never spoken (or typed). people think they can buy an old car for 5000 or less and a do it yourself restoration and be sitting pretty for less than 10 grand. then five years, 10 grand, and a completely disassembled car later and still no car to ride in. buy one already done nicely and ride the same day.

·
Registered
574 Posts
wiser words never spoken (or typed). people think they can buy an old car for 5000 or less and a do it yourself restoration and be sitting pretty for less than 10 grand. then five years, 10 grand, and a completely disassembled car later and still no car to ride in. buy one already done nicely and ride the same day.
I got 3 more grand to go. hahahahahahahaha

·
Registered
574 Posts
Wait... I don't have to add in my labor do I? Cause depending on who ya ask... I'm worthless...

·
Registered
460 Posts
How much?

Well lets see....
Initial investment (car and gas to get car home from MN) $2300
bunch of GTO parts to convert car to GTO (includes hood, endura, hidden headlights, grilles, tail lights and bezels, console and his&hers shifter, hidden headlight bumper brackets, A/C, seats, gauges and a bunch of other stuff too) $2000
455 & TH400 $500
So...so far not counting labor I have invested and time ... $4700...
BUT
I sold....
1964 389 $800
LeMans hood for $300
Chrome bumper and grilles for $350
traded my original TH400 for a 79 400 which I pulled the heads off of and sold the block for $300
Sooo... grand total so far, about $2950.
BUT it's not a REAL GTO even though she will look like one and all the parts are original PMD GTO goodies, no repo, all in all I am happy.
But I have about 25-30grand to go. I assume.
:D
But it's a labor of love right? I mean we don't do this as a SMART investment?
It's something to leave to our kids, or to have on our grave stones...
Here Lies Scott, the "goat guy" may he rest in peace and may he forever be behind the wheel of his favorite GTO.

Right?
or am I crazy?:willy:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I bought my "beat to hell" numbers matching 69 from pawn shop on March 14th, 1996 for $1400. Put a junkyard 400 in it and made it my daily driver. I drove and fixed it for 5 years, then parked it, got married and had kids. I started the resto 3 years ago, and have about 2 or 3 years left at the rate I'm going. I have done everything myself so far except have the original short block rebuilt, heads ported/polished, trans rebuilt and rearend rebuilt. I have 8-12K in it now total including purchase price. As it sits, another 3-5K to go if I paint it myself. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Well I just made a list of stuff I COULD REMEMBER- hold on
car 8000
drive train 5000
paint a bargain at 7500
posi rear end 1000
suspension 3500 (coil overs,tubular control arms,pinion adjusters,swaybars,tie rods etc)
wiring 500
stereo 1500
new interior 2000
fuel system 500 (new tank,electric pump,braided lines,pressure regulator)
heating and cooling 2000 (vintage air,radiator,ac compressor hoses ets)
expert mechanical labor 1800
that total is $33000-
building the car itself I have approx 1000 hours- I am not an expert by any mean so many things took longer
the one thing I am an expert in is carbon fiber work and heres that breakdown
grill surrond 30hrs
dash 40hrs
grab bar 6hrs
center console 80 hrs
rear center console and speaker box 40 hrs
package tray and sail panels 10 hrs
rear tail panel 20 hrs
total is 266 hrs of carbon fabrication if I billed out at $80 per hr thats 21,280 plus about 6000 in material
GRAND TOTAL $60580 (with out including the 1000 hrs of labor for the rest of the car)
This of course is not what I spent since my brother bought the car and drive line and maybe another 5000 in parts before he passed away and i inherited the car.
So I would put my ACTUAL out of pocket cash money between $20-$22k. still a nice chunk but I cant think of anything else I would have rather spent my money on

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's something to leave to our kids, or to have on our grave stones...
Here Lies Scott, the "goat guy" may he rest in peace and may he forever be behind the wheel of his favorite GTO.

Right?
or am I crazy?:willy:
I want to be buried in my goat. Or cremate me and let me ride on the dash...

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Just beginning mine. 1970 with very minimal rust. New front end $350, driver front fender patch $90, body and radiator bushings $100, front coil springs about $100, and the car for $7500. So far est. $8140 and disassembly begins.... Hope to keep it under $35k in the end and on a 3 - 5 year plan.

Just bought new air compressor ($350 smoking deal) and about to plumb multiple hook ups in garage. It all starts to add up at an exponential rate. Gotta love it!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Traded for it 7 years ago, motorcycle worth $6K(3 months old). Paint was 3 months old, motor rebuilt 1 year prior to my purchase(or was it the other way around?). Haven't touched the motor except for a new alt and installed a pertronix module and plug wires. Replaced wheels/rims, had tranny rebuilt for $1K, etc, etc. All in all about $5k in parts/labor, so far. $11k total invested...................

1 - 20 of 61 Posts