Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I hope this isn't old news, but I got my March Motor Trend today. In the new Camaro article is said "The next-generation GTO is Definitely dead." Disappointing?,,, somewhat, but it makes our cars more rare. I may buy the new Camaro in a few years. We will see.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Maybe not "dead" but gone for a few years for sure. No '07 is what I was told at the dealership last week. Guess they should be in the know on this.

JET

·
Registered
700 Posts
I REALLY like the looks of the new Camaro. I hate that they'll be axing the GTO again, but I'm not sure they could top the camaro design. I have heard these rumors of a 4-door GTO, I would rather the GTO disappear altogether again than become a 4-door failure like the Charger. Either way, by '09 whenever the Camaro comes out, I should be about due for a new car...hopefully it won't be butchered much compared to the concept. Things have a way of changing for the worse between concept and production. What I'd really like to see is our engine (or the LS7) in a lighter car, priced at or around $30k. It would surely be a mustang GT500 killer and would allow GM to hang on to the performance crown for a few more years. Plus, getting 30+ mpg on the highway thanks to being able to shut some cylinders off will make the Camaro virtually irresistable when compared to the Mustang. Even the whimpy 6-banger mustang doesn't even get 30 mpg!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I must add that if anyone can afford to get rid of this vehicle in 2009 three years away from now and pick up another toy to replace this one more power to them. I cannot imagine getting rid of my new 05 for at least the life of my loan 6 years even if I wanted to I would probably be so upside down. Six years from now I think this will still be one of the hottest vehicles on the road and beyond that. I plan on keeping mine for a long time because even if I did not I would have no choice. My truck which I traded in for the goat was a 2000 silverado which until this day would roast a lot of vehicles on the road today and was still fun to drive and I am multiplying that excitement x 100 with the GTO.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have heard the next gen. GTO is a go from some sorces and it is not from others. :willy: Time will tell.I do agree with lotaguts who was talking about keeping the car for awhile because he is stuck in payments.(beats being stuck with a Cobolt or a Focas payment) It'll be 6 years from 2004 when I own my 04. When I see a 6 year old Trans Am on the road:STILL PRETTY COOL!!
I'm sure in 6 years I'll get a similiar reaction to my goat,even though there will be newer stuff out there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don't think I'll go with the Camaro, but that new Challenger sure looks sweeeet! But I wouldn’t trade the goat for it...but that's what I said when I took my Silverado in for some warrantee work and drove the GTO home, I guess never say never!

·
Registered
700 Posts
In 2009, I will have 1 year left on my loan, if that. I typically make double payments to help keep down the interest as well. Either way, the way I drive, it'll be a miracle if the GTO holds up 5 years unless they're built a LOT better than I think they are. I've had my GTO about two months now and I've put 7100 miles on it. Most of my cars end up with 75k miles on 'em within just 2-3 years.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yeah, that's what I meant earlier, it could change dramatically by the time it goes into final production. More than one car has been ruined between the concept and production phase.
I've owned 3 Trans Ams in my life and I'd own another one in a hearbeat if they continued to be one of the fastest, coolest cars around.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Groucho said:
More evidence that GM is planning on kicking the plug out from the machine keeping P-P-Pontiac alive....

One of the smarter things they can do.
It's smart not to keep Pontiac alive?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I gotta agree with LOTAGUTS about keeping my car till it's paid off, I also traded in a 2000 Navigator with over 100k and I hadnt even paid off that yet, (it was used).

But I certainly hope the General keeps the GTO there is room for a real 4 passenger coupe in their Lineup even with the Camaro, Gotta give people a choice. If they had done it right and designed the GTO using only the Holden platform but putting the sheetmetal on it that would have nailed the GTO look and making it in the states, we wouldnt be having this discussion and these things would have sold 10 times the numbers they did. But I still think my Goat is a awesome ride.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
What if it was never labled GTO in the first place, but was called the "Pontiac Monaro" Think it would have sold any better or worse?
:confused

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Groucho said:
More evidence that GM is planning on kicking the plug out from the machine keeping P-P-Pontiac alive....

One of the smarter things they can do.
A year ago you and I got into it over Pontiac. At that time I thought it was a mistake to kill it. It had some heritage that was worth saving. I still feel the same way, but I don't think GM can pull it off in their current shape.

Look at the writing on the wall. Pontiac has the Solstice, but Saturn has the Sky. Pontiac didn't get a full-size this go around. The G6 isn't selling as expected. The GTO is done for at least a year and a half and there is talk it is gone for good. The Grand Prix isn't doing too well. There really isn't much else to say. If Pontiac went away after 2006, most of the models and the sales they generate could be recovered at other GM brands. Why keep the added expense of a brand that doesn't generate increased sales and might be hurting GM's bottom line?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
PEARL JAM said:
What if it was never labled GTO in the first place, but was called the "Pontiac Monaro" Think it would have sold any better or worse?
:confused
I'd bet the whole Holden line brought into the US as a Brand would have helped GM. The only thing stopping that was an agreement with the UAW limiting the amount of Australian cars to 18,000.

The Pontiac GTO was the right name for the car though. It is true to what the original was for it's time, a mid-sized high powered GT car.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I dont care if this thing was called a sunfire if its got 400 horses, incredible interior, awesome ride I would of still bought it. Who cares about retro I think its a cool design although would not base my purchasing options on it. Dont you guys like the sleeper effect this car looks sorta like a Grand Am/Prix on steriods I love it when I pull up someone at a light and they have no idea what this thing is and I roast them. If this car had a retro look everyone and there mother would no what it was. :)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.