Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
297 Posts
I like stories like that. It's funny, because I've never shopped for a new car for myself, and I avoid dealerships, but I like talking about what guys were ordering back in the 60s before I was born. And I like shopping for 60s cars because I like old stuff way more than new stuff. I'm a big fan of 8 tracks right now. I think they're making a comeback.
The dealership was downtown at the junction of the two main thoroughfares that passed through the town of 15,000. There were two cars on the showroom that were fully loaded. Ten total parking spots inside. So there were 5 cars or less you could drive. The showroom cars the sales guys would take the people out and show the options before they ordered. On delivery day they had the spots on the street saved with salesmen cars, The semi would unload six on a good day and the over flow would be out on the street. They were nose to tail parallel parked, they were a sight. Us kids would go by and check them out.
It operated the same way until the owner died in the *80's.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
The other thing to think about Owen, is that the first owner probably wanted manual steering for the feel it gives you. I know a lot of true and race car drivers preferred it over power steering in those days. What part of SC are you at? I’m on the GA/SC border

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The dealership was downtown at the junction of the two main thoroughfares that passed through the town of 15,000. There were two cars on the showroom that were fully loaded. Ten total parking spots inside. So there were 5 cars or less you could drive. The showroom cars the sales guys would take the people out and show the options before they ordered. On delivery day they had the spots on the street saved with salesmen cars, The semi would unload six on a good day and the over flow would be out on the street. They were nose to tail parallel parked, they were a sight. Us kids would go by and check them out.
It operated the same way until the owner died in the *80's.
That's awesome, I love stories about small town America. 21,000 in the town i grew up in. Way bigger now, but I haven't lived there since 1990. When I was a kid in the 70s, all it took was a construction site to entertain us, riding our bikes around town. I can just imagine the spectacle that dealership must have been. We had several dealerships on moderately sized lots, so no such spectacle for us. Cars came in quietly and cars went out quietly. I started driving in '85, and I bought a car built in '65, and I never grew up. I love '60s cars, and to this day, I've never owned anything newer than my 1975 Bronco. Work cars, daily drivers, beaters, road trip cars, and occasional dragstrip and off-road cars, they've all been built in the 60s or 70s since day one for me. Mostly 60s. Love those 60s cars, but I recently bought a '55 Pontiac, and I love it. It's been my daily driver for the past two years. Fantastic car! Also, I think kids today don't have it nearly as good as we did.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I had no idea that the 572 front bench was 42 bucks. Good number, but big money back in '68, using an online calculator, that's $322 in today's money. Here's the thing though, my PHS report doesn't say 572 front bench. It says option 236 front bench, and the only other front bench option is 235 for the same bench in black. So I'm confused, is that a deluxe upholstery bench, and that's why the 42 bucks, you'd think bench would be free? Did they really charge this guy $42 to put a bench in his GTO? He's already paying for the GTO package, cut him some slack. You'd think they'd give him the bench for free, after all, Pontiac gets to keep their buckets. I'm guessing he got the notchback bench for free, and that's what's in the car, I just can't figure out what they mean by notchback, not without seeing photos of the 572 bench for comparison. So that's interesting.

There were three different bench seats for the Tempest/Lemans/GTO. The first was for 4 door cars and had a solid back. The second was a split bench for the two door Tempest and Base LeMans, then the Notchback for the LeMans (with decor option) and GTO. The notchback had the armrest and had a notch in between the seats backs.
The bench seat in the GTO was a no cost option.

Option 572 was not a seat option but for head rests which were a $42 option for 68 Pontiacs.
If you have the headrests they were uncommon for 68 models.
Headrests were required by law as of Jan 1 1969 so they were standard equipment on all 69 and up models.

236 and 235 were trim codes for the interior
235 black interior with a notchback bench
236 Parchment (white) interior with a notchback bench
Those were the only two colors available for the notchback bench in the GTO

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The other thing to think about Owen, is that the first owner probably wanted manual steering for the feel it gives you. I know a lot of true and race car drivers preferred it over power steering in those days. What part of SC are you at? I’m on the GA/SC border
Oh yeah, no doubt. He ordered a weird GTO. I've seen lots of weird station wagons and sedans, but a weird GTO is an oddity, most guys that wanted a GTO, wanted a typically bad-ass GTO. This April Gold GTO isn't very bad-ass, but I love how it's optioned. I look for cars with no power steering, no power brakes, just four wheel drum is fine with me, and driving these cars since I was 15, I've never been tempted once to upgrade anything to disc brakes. I like drums, they work just fine for me. I also look for 4 speed transmissions. So yeah, I'm looking for cars that were ordered by guys that just wanted a decent V8 and 4 speed, and not much else, and this GTO fits that bill for me just fine. The GTO's A/C compressor is long gone, so for me it's just like my two cars with V8, four-speed, and nothing else, it fits right in. And I've also got cars with automatics, but ATF is more prone to leak than the gear oil in a Muncie, so I'm not a huge fan of automatic transmissions. Also, once, just once, I had an automatic car blow the front pump seal, and 11 or so quarts of ATF exited the transmission real fast. Busy intersection in Albuquerque, NM, multiple lanes each way, and I was just sitting there in the left turn lane at a red light, so that sucked. When that happens, you're just done. I've never had a manual transmission leave me stranded like that, even when something bad happens to a manual, you can usually still limp it home. And I've got cars with power steering and power brakes, but that's just two more things to break, and again, that power steering is one more thing that can spring a leak. So I totally agree, I'm all for cars without those options. Oh and this GTO drives great, turn a tight corner in a parking lot, and then let go of the steering wheel, and the wheel spins itself right back to center, so that's fun. My Chevy and Mopar non-power steering cars do that too, but somehow the GTO does it a lot better better. The GTO does lots of stuff better. It's a really good car, and I love how it goes down the road. My son was driving my '75 Bronco the other day, tight turn in a parking lot, and he let go of the wheel, and nothing happened, he said, oh yeah, forgot, power steering. He's learning. My Bronco has power steering and that's it, non-power four wheel drum and power steering. It was nice for rock crawling when I was stationed in Las Vegas, but I don't need that Bronco's power steering at all, here in South Carolina.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I had no idea that the 572 front bench was 42 bucks. Good number, but big money back in '68, using an online calculator, that's $322 in today's money. Here's the thing though, my PHS report doesn't say 572 front bench. It says option 236 front bench, and the only other front bench option is 235 for the same bench in black. So I'm confused, is that a deluxe upholstery bench, and that's why the 42 bucks, you'd think bench would be free? Did they really charge this guy $42 to put a bench in his GTO? He's already paying for the GTO package, cut him some slack. You'd think they'd give him the bench for free, after all, Pontiac gets to keep their buckets. I'm guessing he got the notchback bench for free, and that's what's in the car, I just can't figure out what they mean by notchback, not without seeing photos of the 572 bench for comparison. So that's interesting.

There were three different bench seats for the Tempest/Lemans/GTO. The first was for 4 door cars and had a solid back. The second was a split bench for the two door Tempest and Base LeMans, then the Notchback for the LeMans (with decor option) and GTO. The notchback had the armrest and had a notch in between the seats backs.

Option 572 was not a seat option but for head rests which were a $42 option for 68 Pontiacs.
Headrests were required by law as of Jan 1 1969 so they were standard equipment on all 69 and up models.

Good info, thanks! That clears it up, and explains why a bench would cost $42, because it's not the bench, it's the upgrade for the bench, and that makes sense, and 42 bucks is big money in '68 for simple head rests. It's no wonder so many cars were ordered bare bones, all those little things add up real quick. My son's GTO has the 236 code bench, according to PHS, and that's the Parchment notchback with armrest, no headrest, and the guy that ordered the car got it for free. Good to know. Thanks!

Do you happen to know when shoulder belts were required by law? I think lap belts showed up around '56, because my '55 doesn't have them, my '55's owner's manual doesn't even mention lap belts, so I don't think they were even an option back then. My '55 owner's manual doesn't tell you where or how to check the brake fluid either, just tells you to take the car to the service dept immediately, if anything goes wrong with the brakes. How do you like that? It's a power brake car, and the length of the booster puts my master cylinder right under the power steering box, it's jammed in there tight. I had to weld up a special tool to remove the hex head cast iron cap, then you add brake fluid using a long and very flexible funnel, or two normal funnels, not easy, I need to rig up a remote brake fluid reservoir. Anyway, back to belts, two of my '70 cars had the after thought shoulder seat belts, that no one ever used, they just clipped up out of the way and stayed there. None of my '69 or earlier cars have had those shoulder belts.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Front shoulder belts were required as of Jan 1 1968 with the exception of convertibles. I believe convertibles were required to have them for '70 models. GM started installing shoulder belt mounts in the middle of '66 production and they were an option until Jan 68.
Rear shoulder belts were also an option starting with the 68 GM models.

IIRC front seat belts were required for 65 models, rears in 66. Ford was the first manufacturer to offer seat belts in 1956 and they had a big safety advertising program to push them

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Front shoulder belts were required as of Jan 1 1968 with the exception of convertibles. I believe convertibles were required to have them for '70 models. GM started installing shoulder belt mounts in the middle of '66 production and they were an option until Jan 68.
Rear shoulder belts were also an option starting with the 68 GM models.

IIRC front seat belts were required for 65 models, rears in 66. Ford was the first manufacturer to offer seat belts in 1956 and they had a big safety advertising program to push them
That's interesting, thanks! Come to think of it, my '69 Mustang did have all the belts in it, shoulder and all, and they were in good shape, so I stole them and put them in my '70 Mach 1 that had been missing the shoulder belts since i bought the car in '89. I had forgotten that, until I read your post just now. I guess I grabbed the belts out of the '69 about 22 years ago. Funny how you forget stuff like that, until something jogs your memory.

My son's '68 GTO was built the third week of October, 1967. A few months later, and it would have had shoulder belts. Fun stuff, I never would have known that.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts

My bad, you are correct. I got that out of one of my books. Looked at an order sheet and got this:

1968 Seats.JPG

·
Registered
120 Posts
I found this article to be quite entertaining, and slightly familiar.

I heard that buzz word “rare “about a dozen times when I looked at my 72 before I bought it.
Almost NO options – no power anything, 3 speed floor shifter and a bench seat…..The guy who makes repro window stickers said it was one of the lowest optioned cars he has seen.
Cant confuse rarity with desirability…….

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
yeah Jim, thats a Bonneville/GP optional bench. Mostly seen in the higher priced B cars and Eldorado/Rivera/Toronado. Design is similar to the Strato Buckets. Armrest would fold up into a small seat back for the middle seat passenger. I have read that the Rivera Strato-Bench will fit into an A body car with minor mods.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I found this article to be quite entertaining, and slightly familiar.

I heard that buzz word “rare “about a dozen times when I looked at my 72 before I bought it.
Almost NO options – no power anything, 3 speed floor shifter and a bench seat…..The guy who makes repro window stickers said it was one of the lowest optioned cars he has seen.
Cant confuse rarity with desirability…….
Totally agree with everything you said, but what if your car with almost no options and no power anything, also had A/C? Seriously, it's something we never think about, but I've been into 60's cars since the 80s, and when I ask myself right now, how many of those 60s cars that I really knew well, had factory A/C, and no power steering and no power brakes. I can' think of one. Cars that my friends had in high school, cars that I owned. Cars that my Air Force buddies owned. Cars that are in my town right now and make it to car shows, with their hoods up. Not too many 60s cars with factory A/C at all really, because it was expensive. $360 for A/C in 1968? That was big money back then, when I was a kid we rolled the windows down, that was our A/C, that was most people's A/C back then. For some reason, the guy that spent $360 for A/C, usually spent 40 bucks for power steering, and sometimes he also opted for power brakes. I don't know why, I just know that when I see a car with no power steering and no power brakes, but it has A/C, it's Vintage Air, and not factory. Personally I don't like PS or PB, but it's nice to keep cool, so I might be so inclined to order a GTO like my son's GTO with no PS and no PB, but A/C. I'm a cheapskate though, so probably, I'd just grab the four-speed, and that's it, and since I was already paying for the GTO package, I'd take those sweet bucket seats as well, thank you very much, since I'm not paying extra for them.

My son's GTO was ordered with a bench seat and four-on-the-floor. I've learned from the bench seat GTO discussion on this forum, that's a rare thing in the GTO world. I didn't know that when I bought the car. I've got a four speed bench seat Road Runner, and it's common with Mopars. If I did know that it was rare to see a four speed bench seat GTO, before I bought the car, it wouldn't have mattered to me one bit. Let's face it, I bought it because it was a GTO with a four speed. I like that sort of thing.

So it's rare to see a bench seat four speed GTO, they're out there, but look at 100 random '68 GTOs, and you won't see many. That's the definition of rare, "not common or usual, not often done, seen, or happening", according to Merriam Webster. I don't use rare as a "buzz word", I use rare the same as I'm using all these other words right now, just a regular word with a regular definition.

My my son's GTO is a rarity inside a rarity, because it's also a non power steering, non power brake car with A/C. Search 100 random 60s vehicles that are for sale right now on the internet. Any make, any model, and how many have factory A/C, but no PS or PB? Not a lot right? It's not common or usual among 60s cars, it's not often seen. Take a sampling of 100 GTOs on this forum, how many have factory A/C, but no PS or PB? Not a lot right. Some of them do, because my son's '68 has it, but not a lot. It's just an oddball thing that you normally don't come across. My son drives his GTO a lot, and he loves it. I rarely drive it, but when I do, I love it too, because that is one great car, not because of it's oddball optioning, it's just a great car...........still I wouldn't have ordered it the way someone ordered it, it's just weird.

I totally agree that rare doesn't mean valuable, and rare doesn't mean desirable. In the case of my son's '68 GTO rare just means there can't possibly be many like it. Add the April Gold paint, and I'd guess that this car doesn't have a twin. We'll never know for sure. Now the guy that doesn't like where I'm coming from, he'll say, so what, no one cares that your car is weird. And he's right......almost. People want the car because it's a GTO with a four speed, no other reason, just that, and if it was a GTO with an automatic or three speed, they'd still want it because it's real 242 car. But he's also wrong to say that no one cares that my son's GTO is an oddball. I care. I like oddballs. I like the muscle cars on Misfit Island that don't fit in with the mainstream muscle. I like the fact that GTOs are badass, but someone made this GTO a lot less badass than normal, that sort of thing is fun for me. I'm allowed to like stuff, it's a fun hobby, and I'm allowed to have fun. I like your low optioned red '72 GTO. Those '71 - 72 hoods are the best, love them. So smart to put the scoops up front, instead of right where the carb is. Most of my '60s cars don't have hood scoops, and I've watched bugs crawling around the center of my hood, while I'm doing around 25mph. I know it's slow, but still, you'd think that bug would get ram air'd the hell out of there, even at 25. Way more airflow up front, before all that air gets knocked up and over most centrally located hood scoops that just aren't tall enough.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just a quick scan on the internet, I found several 68 GTOs with bench seats, 4 speeds, and A/C (all factory installed). Now I will say I didn’t find the exact combination of having no power steering and no power brakes but of those cars that I found they either had no power steering and had power brakes or vice versa. So we’re only talking one option off to have these exact options you’re talking so much about. So common sense would probably say your clone existed at one point in time with the bench seat, 4 speed, A/C, no power steering, and no power brakes.

Now having those exact combinations of options in your exact color combinations of paint and interior is different story. Anyone that specials orders a car could be in the same “rare” definition that you define. I’m sure my car could be 1 of 1 as well as the rest of the members on this forum as well.

Welcome to the GTO club, we all have rare GTOs!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just a quick scan on the internet, I found several 68 GTOs with bench seats, 4 speeds, and A/C (all factory installed). Now I will say I didn’t find the exact combination of having no power steering and no power brakes but of those cars that I found they either had no power steering and had power brakes or vice versa. So we’re only talking one option off to have these exact options you’re talking so much about. So common sense would probably say your clone existed at one point in time with the bench seat, 4 speed, A/C, no power steering, and no power brakes.

Now having those exact combinations of options in your exact color combinations of paint and interior is different story. Anyone that specials orders a car could be in the same “rare” definition that you define. I’m sure my car could be 1 of 1 as well as the rest of the members on this forum as well.

Welcome to the GTO club, we all have rare GTOs!
I appreciate your research, and you were polite about it. I'm just having fun here. If you look at most of the videos on my youtube channel, you'll see that I don't take myself very seriously. Mostly I'm just a weird dude. I like old cars, and my flip phone, and my 200 plus 8 tracks, all rebuilt with new pads and splices. I can talk 8 tracks for about as long as I can talk cars and have just as much fun doing it. I've never owned a car that was newer than 1975. I'm not normal. When look around at everyone else, I think I might be marching to the beat of a different drummer. Also I wasn't allowed to march in the parade at basic training, back in '90, TI said I bounce too much.

I was trying to be controversial with this post, I'm not new to the hobby. I know it gets feathers up, mostly I'm a nice guy, but sometimes I like to say things that aren't socially acceptable to spark a more interesting conversation. As controversial as I may have been with my opening post, I did label my post, "The rarest '68 GTO, that isn't worth anything." That was supposed to be a joke, every GTO is worth something, GTO's rock! I've always loved GTOs, even when I was a die hard Mustang guy. Also, this is my first post in the "Member's Introductions" section. This isn't general discussion or technical discussion, this is just me letting you guys know who I am and what I'm like. I feel like this one little spot on the forum is mine. It's my introduction, and I'll say what I want. So if I'm attacked, I'll argue in my own defense, and I like to argue, but mostly I'm a nice guy.

I like everything you said, and I love your GTO, after '64, that's my favorite body style.

Yeah, I couldn't find a car like my son's '68 GTO on the internet either and I spent days looking. I learned that 4 speed and bench was rare to GTO, only because of the "bench seat GTO" discussion on this website. No big deal, just kind of cool. Then I got my PHS and it struck me as odd, that this car was ordered with A/C and no PS no PB. I figured that years ago, when this car lost it's A/C compressor, it lost it's PS pump as well, and someone converted it to non-power steering, but the PHS report showed otherwise. Like you said, find a factory A/C car, and it usually has either PS or PB, or both. I think that's a fact, and I think there's a logical explanation for it. I've been around 60s cars since the 80s, and I only recently started thinking about this. And not just GTOs, not just Pontiacs, any 60s car. If a 60s car has factory A/C, it normally has PS, PB, or both. Look at a hundred 1960s cars for sale right now, and you'll see what I'm on about. It doesn't matter one bit, it's just an observation. Obviously cars were sold in the 60s with factory A/C and no PS and PB, my son's car is proof of that, but how many? No one knows, but not a lot, if you look for one, you'll find that it's "seldom occurring or found", and that's the definition of rare. Mostly weird, but certainly rare. I figure it's because most people couldn't afford $360 for A/C but they had forty bucks for power steering, or they had the money for all three, or A/C and whatever they liked better between PS and PB, but what about rich people that wanted to stay cool and hated power steering and power brakes? I've got cars with PS and PB, and I'm not a big fan, it's just more stuff to leak, and/or break. Also, I'm guessing that the cars that weren't special ordered, the ones with A/C, also got PS, PB, or both, simply because that's what the Big Three assumed would sell.

Between me and my kids, we have 10 classic cars, 1955 to 1975 (not that you'd call a '75 Bronco a classic car, but bear with me here). Of those 10 cars, I would only dare make the 1 of 1 claim about my son's GTO. That GTO is a rarity inside a rarity. I think it's too weird to have a twin. I don't think anyone else ordered a GTO like that. And I don't think Pontiac made it on their own, just to see if that combination of options would sell. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? No, because anyone could special order anything and deliberately attempt to make it 1 of 1 (by all probability) but I still find it interesting, and that's why I'm here talking about it to anyone that's willing to listen. Now, some of my other cars, I can simply do a google search, and there's that car's twin, so that debate end's quickly, not 1 of 1, not even close, and I mean identical twin.....every single option, exact same interior and paint, same engine, same transmission, same 4.11 gears with posi, same exact car, just in better shape than my car. I tend to buy cars that need work, a guy in my old car club asked if I pulled that '68 GTO out of a junk yard, I had just bought it, and driven it home from St Louis. Solid burn, I had to laugh.

Muscle cars tend to have what muscle car guys want. Here's an example, I've got a '70 Road Runner, V code engine, 4 speed and black bench interior (Mopar did that all the time....super not rare), built in St Louis, Lemon Twist Yellow, no vinyl top, 3.54 posi in the Dana 60, 3 speed wipers, hood pins, tach, air grabber hood, hood stripes, and an AM radio, but no power steering, no power brakes, and no air conditioning. Now if I went around saying that it was a 1 of 1 car, based on all of that, people would say I'm being silly, and way too specific, and they'd be right. But I'm not saying that my Road Runner is a 1 of 1 car, I wouldn't even suggest that it might be a 1 of 100 car. I doubt it was even a special ordered car. I think Plymouth just threw some kick-ass options onto a '70 Road Runner that they figured the muscle head crowd would want. So that's not rare. I think they made a bunch of cars just like it. And that's my whole point really, because most every car I've ever owned is like that, and the only way I could even imagine the possibility that could be 1 of 1, is if I count the sequence number as an option. :) Does that mean I don't want my Road Runner any more, because it isn't weird enough? Of course not, I'm just here to talk about cars. Doesn't have to be my cars, what's up with yours?

"Welcome to the GTO club, we all have rare GTOs!"

Well said brother! And thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
You mentioned your you tube channel so I looked, A sunbeam? A friend at work has had his since high school. Three engines and a couple trannies in the barn for that. There is some guy in KC that use to race them. So my friend had him rebuild the motor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You mentioned your you tube channel so I looked, A sunbeam? A friend at work has had his since high school. Three engines and a couple trannies in the barn for that. There is some guy in KC that use to race them. So my friend had him rebuild the motor.
Yeah, I had a red '67 Sunbeam Alpine that I sold a year ago. It ran good, fun to drive, cool little car, but I prefer a V8. Still, I only sold it so that I could buy a '61 Studebaker Hawk that doesn't run, and that I absolutely had to have......that Studebaker still doesn't run, but I'm glad I bought it. I still have a grey '66 Alpine, it was originally Midnight Blue, I put a V8 in that one, but it's not running yet either. I gravitate towards project cars. I like having stuff to work on. I'm registered on an Sunbeam forum, and a Studebaker forum, and a Vette, Mustang, and I think a Mopar forum, but I can't remember. I'm all over the place. You'd be surprised how many guys there are like your friend that are lifelong Sunbeam guys, those guys are all over the Sunbeam forum that's some serious commitment and there's a lot of them. I guess every car has it's devoted super fans. I put my red '67 on ebay, and my Chevy buddy with a blue '67 Camaro and a blue '71 Vette couldn't believe how fast it sold. He had no idea people were into those. Those little 4 cylinder Sunbeam Alpines were raced successfully all over the world, but it's a car that most Americans don't know about. Sean Connery drove an Alpine in Dr. No, and it was Connery's personally owned car at the time, it's the only bond car that was actually the actor's car in real life. I tell that to people that say they've never seen an Alpine, because if they've seen Dr. No, they've seen an Alpine, and everyone's seen Dr. No, at least I hope they have, it's a great movie. I have to admit that I kind of got tired of my red 4-banger Alpine, but mine wasn't nearly as nice as some of the others I've seen. So maybe that's it. I never invest in quality cars, I'm too cheap, so I buy cheap cars and hope I get lucky. I got lucky when I bought that '68 GTO, some cars just survived better than others, sure it needed a new interior, and body, and paint, but that GTO goes down the road so much nicer than most of my other cars. It's a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hey, you didn't say if your friend has a Sunbeam Alpine or a Sunbeam Tiger. If it's an Alpine, and he's hasn't swapped to V6 or V8, and if he wants even more spare parts, I've got a bunch of 4 cyl Alpine stuff he can have for free. A couple standard bore blocks, a couple 4 speed transmissions, and some other smaller parts. I filled the trunk with spare parts when I sold my '67 Alpine, but there wasn't room for all the small parts I've got laying around. I'll never need that stuff, I don't have the time to sell it on ebay, and I can't scrap parts that someone might need, so I just hang on to them, even though to most people it looks like a bunch of junk. None of it is pristine, but it's rebuildable, and i keep everything out of the weather.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I will ask him. It says you live in Sumter? I was stationed there at Shaw in the 90s. I lived out on Peach Orchard rd. Rembert address. I was in the ASOS mobile telephone switching systems. We had to put 50 miles on the dueces every month. By the end of the month we had 30 miles to go so we would convoy up to Camden for ice cream. They told us not to go the same route every moth so we were pretty creative and found all sorts of thgings to go visit.. Land navigation training. Night navigation through the woods I bounced my duece of a pine tree. A friend at the motor pool said they used a cumalong and pull the bumper back into postion in 15 minutes. Three days I was doing paper work for that.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
If I remember it right, Sunbeams were a Chrysler of UK product. When imported they were sold by Chrysler/Plymouth dealers. When the Tiger came along you had C/P mechanics working on Ford 260/289 small blocks.
I can't recall why they didn't use the 273 Chrysler V8.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I will ask him. It says you live in Sumter? I was stationed there at Shaw in the 90s. I lived out on Peach Orchard rd. Rembert address. I was in the ASOS mobile telephone switching systems. We had to put 50 miles on the dueces every month. By the end of the month we had 30 miles to go so we would convoy up to Camden for ice cream. They told us not to go the same route every moth so we were pretty creative and found all sorts of thgings to go visit.. Land navigation training. Night navigation through the woods I bounced my duece of a pine tree. A friend at the motor pool said they used a cumalong and pull the bumper back into postion in 15 minutes. Three days I was doing paper work for that.
Ha! Fun stuff! I got the motor pool at Shaw all pissed off at me because I signed out a GOV and stopped at BK for lunch with a guy that was deploying. You can't do that! I should have parked across the street at the Education Center I guess but I didn't know that was even a rule. I can't believe that someone saw the GOV at BK and reported it. Some people! It was funny, because I was a MSgt, and the UDM, and a good buddy of mine was a MSgt and the Additional Duty First Sergeant, so some SSgt at the motor pool reported me to my my buddy, the Shirt. Hell I didn't even want their GOV, but they won't let you drive a guy deploying and his M-4 around in your '75 Bronco. Most guys I deployed didn't need to bring a weapon, because they were mostly prepositioned by 2012, but a few did, depending on where they were going, and I'd have to go and sign out a GOV and chauffeur them around base for qualification training, and then again, when it was time to take them to the airport. So, yeah, I live in Sumter, halfway to Bishopville, the Air Force brought me here in 2007, and I retired in 2015.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts