Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd never re-think my decision to insist on a manual-equipped GTO, but I'm wondering if others think this Tremec unit is as much work as I do. I've spent the better part of my adult life in one gym or another, but I'm tellin' ya--if I could rig up one of these six-speeds for each hand, I could skip lat pulls.

I'm exaggerating, of course. It's fun shifting this thing. But prior to purchasing my car a few week ago, when I was reading the now-infamous Car and Driver article and reviews in other motor mags, I wondered if the writers were just being whiny when they described the shifter as "notchy" or as having "long throws." Or maybe they'd just gotten out of a Honda S2000. I'd read the same things about C5s, and I thought the manual in my C5 was great.

But darned if it didn't turn out that this Tremec six is a little notchy. Out of curiosity, I revisted the Pontiac Web site to see what they had to say about this manual. Here you go:

A race-proven unit known for short, crisp throws and perfectly spaced gears, the Tremec turns shifting into a martial art. A combo of double- and triple-cone synchronizers, plus needle bearings on all forward gear sets, makes shifts smooth and precise.​

I'm wondering if by "martial art" they meant those guys who whack a stack of blocks in half? Kidding!

Actually, I'm just assuming it takes a fairly stout transmission to handle the torque load of the LS2, and that those rugged internals account for the hefty feel. And while rowing this six-speed in traffic isn't a job for the inattentive or lazy, the thing works exactly as you'd want when the road ahead is empty and the light turns green.

Still, I think my right shoulder is getting disproportionately larger than my left one. . .

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It does have long throws, and may be a tad notchy at times...but I became spoiled from my old BMW 323i 5-speed with a UUC short-shifter. BMW makes the best manual trannies on the planet, and that short shifter just took wrist motion to shift.

I definitely want a good short shifter kit...I was hot for a B&M Ripper but now I'm hearing conflicting info on how good that product is. Still, I think the Tremec is a decent tranny, and I have no showstopper complaints about it. :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
:D :D There's a guy named Lou. Lou makes "Lou's Short Stick", you can search it on the internet or www.chirpthird.com

Just putting that stick in replacement of oem makes a big difference.

Pro 5.0 (originally designed for mmmmmmmmustangs) is oddly a fav with fbody dudes for replacement shifters

My SS had a Hurst (SS order option) and yeah, it too had some rubber buillt into it, so people complained, just like our oems have rubber to reduce vibration.

All in all it's not bad, at all. If you wanna keep oem, get a short stick.

Size matters :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
short throws

There is currently a thread going on the "other forum," that is supposed to address the issues for a B&M rep. to check out.
I personally like my B&M, but I have done some mods to it. IE: bolts w/nylock nuts instead of screws to hold things together, etc.. I've had to keep tinkering on my cars most of my adult life to have a car that was on the road, ($ issues,) so a little tinkering to tweak things and make them work the way I want is not a big deal. I've also found that once a car doesn't need work for a while, like a year or more, I get kinda bored w/it and want something else. Wierd, huh? Or maybe not so wierd if you understand the nature of the mod. bug. :cool

Happy motoring,

Maximental

·
Registered
316 Posts
HA HA you guys think this thing is hard, if you ever get the chance to drive a Shelby Series 1 you will think shifting the GTO is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Personaly I like the way it shifts but that is just my oppinion, I have noticed that in many cases the higher the HP the more you will have to work when shifting.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Braman'sGTO said:
I have noticed that in many cases the higher the HP the more you will have to work when shifting.
That's what I was thinking. I've never driven a Lamborghini, Ferrari or, for that matter, a Kenworth, but I imagine the more grunt an engine has, the beefier the transmission. I did drive a co-worker's '65 Sting Ray once, and that was a trip. Compared to his gearbox, the GTO's is like a hot knife through butter.

This Tremec tranny isn't difficult, it really isn't. It's just that it requires more of a positive, forceful push or pull before it ka-THUNKs into gear. Coming from the Vette, it surprised me a little. I just feel it pushing back at me a little more than I was used to.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I was surprised at the effort the Tremec requires. Even the spring loading for centering the lever is higher than other cars I've owned. My vette slipped into gear much easier and a Supra I owned was smooth as silk and very light compared to the T6. The T6 really requires a deliberate pull and still sort of bumps reluctantly into the gate. Of course, I've only got 1,500 miles on the car so far. I'm hoping it will loosen up a little as the miles pile up. Still, the car is great overall.

Edit to original post.

We finally got a nice day here, in the 70's. The T6 behaves much better in warmer weather. Maybe you guys in So Cal never encountered it but, in 40 degree or colder weather, the T6 just never seems to loosen up. Even after driving for 30 minutes. Today it was just like any other manual tranmission I've owned.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Braman'sGTO said:
I have noticed that in many cases the higher the HP the more you will have to work when shifting.
GM Kid said:
That's what I was thinking. I've never driven a Lamborghini, Ferrari or, for that matter, a Kenworth, but I imagine the more grunt an engine has, the beefier the transmission.

Hehe, try driving a Road Ranger in a nice tractor/trailer one day. I tell ya, sometimes I catch myself wanting to double clutch in my GTO. Anyway, that takes a bit more effort than the Tremec

:lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.