Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem guys. I had a run in with the dealer yesterday. They told me I voided my warranty b/c I removed my cats. The last time I checked the damn clutch has nothing to do with my cats being removed.

·
Registered
456 Posts
RipTheSix said:
Does Turbocharging or Supercharging void the warranty?
Only if you break something because of it.

Defective paint wouldn't have been caused by a Turbo or a supercharger and, I would think, should be covered.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I had a B&M LeakShifter on my transmission for a couple of thousand miles (just a couple of weeks) when the T56 grenaded on the freeway. After a pathetic initial stab at fixing the problem-- a simple drain / fill on the tranny, which did nothing and put my wife and daughter at risk-- it became obvious that they were completely incompetent. The dealer floated me a raft of sh*t, saying first that someone had put gear oil in the tranny (which was crap) and then that the shifter caused the failure and thus voided the warranty. I called bullsh1t and asked them to document the failure mode and tell me exactly why & how the shifter contributed to the failure.

Turns out that the tail bearing had failed first, taking the rest of the transmission with it. After a good old-fashioned Mexican standoff, they replaced the Tremec under warranty...even remounting the B&M.

This was a grand lesson. My car has not seen the inside of a P-P-Pontiac service bay since, and nor will it, barring a catastrophic failure such as a rod swinging freely through the case as it oozes chocolate mousse.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Groucho said:
This was a grand lesson. My car has not seen the inside of a P-P-Pontiac service bay since, and nor will it, barring a catastrophic failure such as a rod swinging freely through the case as it oozes chocolate mousse.

Aren't you a bit outside the factory warranty anyways?

Nice description of the engine. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
dealernut said:
Aren't you a bit outside the factory warranty anyways?
Nope...got the 100k coverage...and I'm nearly 70k into it now.

I haven't done much to the engine either.

Post warranty, however....muhahahahaha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
39 Posts
as far as voiding my warranty with mods im worried because from what ive read so far on this board most goat owners experience there problems within the first 10k miles...or am i way off on this one?

dude

·
Registered
39 Posts
Working at a dealer comes in handy. We dont really mind covering things under warranty. Unless is obvious that the aftermarket part caused the failure. We have a few people comming in here with full exhaust, superchargers etc on there GTO and other vehicles. But in some cases if we were to warranty a part that was damaged due to lets say a supercharger or something, and GM asks for the failed part or parts back. Which they inspect, and find something they shouldnt have, they can charge the dealer back or even have the customer bring his car back for a GM rep to inspect.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Defective paint wouldn't have been caused by a Turbo or a supercharger and, I would think, should be covered.

Well, maybe they could say that the car is now soooo fast that the speed is causing the paint to come off.........:lol:

Seriously, I had one of the injectors making a nasty ticking noise, I thought it was a lifter it was so loud. I told the dealer that one of the lifters was ticking and they told me it was because of the headers......:confused WTF?!?!?!? It took some looking into and I found out what it was on my own.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
my cars in the shop now.3k on it, loose bearing...haven't seen it in two and a half weeks...you guys are scaring the crap outa me!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
my cars in the shop now.3k on it, loose bearing...haven't seen it in two and a half weeks...you guys are scaring the crap outa me!
How bad was the noise (I'm assuming it was making a noise)when you brought it to the dealer? Did it increase with RPMs?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Aftermarket Wheels and a Dead Link

I don't have a lot of experience with forums, in general, and this is only my second post, here. So, I don't know if it's all right to resurrect this old thread. If I should start a new one, then let me know. Thanks :)

Anyway, I was happy to see this sticky, because I just bought a '06 GTO, 1 1/2 weeks ago, and I want to do some modifications. My concern is that it still has about 3 months of original bumper-to-bumper warranty, as well as another 12 months from GM certification.

Unfortunately, the original link ( http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8124 ), that started this thread, is no longer working. I tried a few google searches, but could not find anything more than other forum posts on the subject. It would be great to have another, working, link to some verifiable/trustworthy information.

From what I found in these forums, the Lingefelter CAI, that was on the car at purchase, as well as the catback exhaust I just ordered, are highly unlikely to void any part of my warranty, beyond the replaced parts. However, I am researching a staggered wheel setup, with 245 front and 275 back tires, along with some sort of suspension work. I'm considering a full Pedder's system, or I might just take it piece-by-piece. How could these changes affect the rest of my powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with forums, in general, and this is only my second post, here. So, I don't know if it's all right to resurrect this old thread. If I should start a new one, then let me know. Thanks :)

Anyway, I was happy to see this sticky, because I just bought a '06 GTO, 1 1/2 weeks ago, and I want to do some modifications. My concern is that it still has about 3 months of original bumper-to-bumper warranty, as well as another 12 months from GM certification.

Unfortunately, the original link ( http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8124 ), that started this thread, is no longer working. I tried a few google searches, but could not find anything more than other forum posts on the subject. It would be great to have another, working, link to some verifiable/trustworthy information.

From what I found in these forums, the Lingefelter CAI, that was on the car at purchase, as well as the catback exhaust I just ordered, are highly unlikely to void any part of my warranty, beyond the replaced parts. However, I am researching a staggered wheel setup, with 245 front and 275 back tires, along with some sort of suspension work. I'm considering a full Pedder's system, or I might just take it piece-by-piece. How could these changes affect the rest of my powertrain warranty?
You'd have better luck in a new thread.

I don't see how the suspension would cause an issue. If you broke something like a drive shaft or clutch, it's possible the dealer could point to the wider back tires/added traction as the cause.

BTW, I have a Pedders Street II and 245/275 staggered setup. The Pedders is great. My first time truly pushing the car to its handling limits, I had the "fastest Pontiac" around the autocross last weekend at Pontiacs in the Park, and I'm not a frequent auto-x participant. I blew it in the 1/4 though....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts