Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been a Mustang fan/owner for a while, and on a whim, started looking at GTO's. Drove one for the first time today and absolutely fell in love. The power, fantastic ride, the whole package.

Anyway, I found one locally, an '04, 6sp manual...It's extremely clean, spotless interior/exterior, though its a bit "brighter" than I'd normally like (torrid red).

edit: one thing I didn't like was the shifter - vague, longish throws, and seemed disconnected, had what I thought was alot of play. If I buy it, that will definately be the first thing to be replaced...

What are some things to look for that are tell tale signs of abuse, problem areas, that sort of thing? I don't know much about these cars, and can't find too much historical data on them. I'm going to stretch out on a limb here and say that parts for it can't be cheap...

Thanks for the input :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
well no not all parts will be cheep in most cases you get what you pay for. You are right about the the shifter but a quick GMM ripshiftswap will cure that. Highly recomended. As for wear and tear on the car, any one that has had one of these has done at least a little bit of ripping up the pavement. it is hard to resist:cool But these motors are pretty durable and can handle a good bit of ragging. and as for the carI am sure you oticed the interior is much more refined than your mustang. the lines are tighter and the rattles are almost non exsistant the materials the interior is made of isn't near as cheep as the mustangs. I think you will be very happy with a GTO. If you are a do it yourself kind of the mustang will probably be easier to work on and maybe cheeper but these cars have alot of natural power and get alot more and IMO it is built 10x better than ford does the mustang.
Sorry didn't mean to go off on a rant but it is hard to dislike this car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.