Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post on GTOForum, been lurking and reading for a bit now. I currently own a 91 Dodge Stealth RT/TT (Twin Turbo) and am getting ready to sell and move on to something new, even though I do love the Stealth. a GTO is near the top of my list, but would just like to get some general feedback on it from members here. I would most likely be buying an 04 because of cost issues, is this wise or is the 05-06 THAT much better? I know they have a larger engine and increased horsepower, but I don't really race anymore, and I might be OK with the 350HP (about what my stealth has now). Thanks for any advice and opinions!

Remy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I need to get on a test drive in one of these beasts :). How is the gas mileage difference between the 04 and 05? I see people on here talking about 12mpg and being pretty happy with 18mpg, is that something the 04s suffer from as well? 18 city isn't bad, but for highway or mixed, that is a bit rough.

·
Registered
78 Posts
as far as gas mileage goes... I have an '06 and I have 16.7 mpg and I pretty much only do city driving... I recently went to PA for the weekend and was able to get 22 mpg on the trip so depending on how u drive... gas mileage is manageable.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Stealth has a pretty bad tune right now and is getting about 15-16 MPG mixed driving, and its pretty annoying, not to mention costly. Is there a significant difference between the 04 and 05-06 in mileage because of the difference in size and power?

·
Registered
47 Posts
ZUMin3K said:
My Stealth has a pretty bad tune right now and is getting about 15-16 MPG mixed driving, and its pretty annoying, not to mention costly. Is there a significant difference between the 04 and 05-06 in mileage because of the difference in size and power?
Not likely to be significant - the car weighs the same and the engines aren't wildly different designs, Anyway, you don't buy a muscle car coz it gets great mileage

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a friend with a Modded 91 Stealth. Its was a nice car, but if you like the Stealth you will love the GTO. Also the GTO is kind of Stealthy in a way, because a lot of people don't know its a GTO with a beast under the hood.

·
Registered
84 Posts
With the amount of performance equipment available for these critters, it is unlikely that you's going to leave it stock for long anyway. The 2004 look pretty smooth and have do have a slightly smaller engine. But the difference in price is enough to pay for a much bigger engine in the crate. Have fun. I agree, the GTO is about the best bang for the buck performance coupe out there at the moment. The next question is the trans. Automatics have come a long way and a decently built slush box with a good converter makes a very strong street racer. The M6 (of which I own one) is fun and I'm pretty darn good with the shifter, but I'd be reluctant to put money against a car exactly line mine with a well done auto. Just my two cents worth and before others yell at me I BOUGHT THE M6!!!! (but I still think the auto with a converter will win at the stoplight 500)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I buy one, I will probably keep it pretty stock minus maybe intake and exhaust parts down the road a bit. Its not going to be a racer, just a daily driver that I can have some fun and speed in, hence my concern over gas mileage :) I will definately be buying a manual trans, no matter what car I decide to get. And I agree, the GTO is probably the quickest car for the price, especially used. I need to go check one out in person, I appreciate everyone's help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
basically which ever one you deside be it the 04 ,05 or 06 you cant go wrong. if you can afford the 06 go for that if not go for what ever is affordable. gas miles for the 05 i get anywhere from 16 to 20 something no exact couse for some reason ive got this lead foot and with the m6 well that doesnt help any ether . just enjoy what ever you get and good luck in what ever you deside.

·
Registered
569 Posts
LS2lover said:
you might want to jump off a cliff before you buy one of these junk cars

Who the hell is this guy? This is the second post I have read in 5 minutes where you bitch about the GTO. You either have one and hate it or are a troll and want to talk trash- either way, you need to get a life. I'm not saying this as a GTO lover or fan, just somone who can't believe you have absolutely nothing better to do with your time but talk trash on a message board. Try getting laid once in a while. I wouldn't know since I have gotten married, but I hear it's interesting...

Isn't there anyone around to ban this scumbag?
Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MoreMoonShine said:
Yeah....he's probably one of the "protestors" who got extra credit in school today for promoting illegal entry in our country. :willy:
Bah, screw that crap:willy:
Anyways, I checked out the 06s on the dealer lot yesterday, and damn these cars are nice. I didn't drive it, because it was an 06 Auto and I will most likely be getting an 04 6spd (or 05 if I can find one at the right price), but my mind is pretty much made up. The interiors are excellent. I don't think there is a better car for the money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kilboy said:
Smart move man... now its just a matter of finding the right car and pulling the trigger...Keep us posted
Yeah exactly. I'll be selling the Stealth for around $9K and probably financing the rest (other than a couple grand I might put down on top of the $9K), which is why I'm leaning towards an 04. I really appreciate all the support, I can't wait to be a part of the community.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.