Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That is what my friend told me the other day. "Dude, this car doesn't like you!" Everything I tried didn't work or fit. She has fought me every step of the resto. I don't get it. I rescued her from pawn shop h*ll, and brought her back from the dead. She was my daily driver for five years with a junkyard motor from a 76 bonnie. I could only work on her enough to get me to work on Monday, so she didn't get the full resto untill now. So far plan A has never worked, so I'm calling her PLAN B until she picks a better name. The Chevy and Ford guys have no idea how easy they have it, I could have built two Mustangs, Chevelles or Camaros by now. I have built several cars and trucks in the past, and this one is by far the biggest PITA. I will win, the sooner she knows this, the better for both of us. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
It is probably because your GTO is a "she"!:lol: They (GTOs) all fight when getting worked on, but in the end you will be rewarded. Eric

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Wrestle her into submission! :lol:

Trust me, by the time you finish it will be more like "Plan 9 from Outer Space".

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
69Goatee, hang in there. I ran into the same thing. It happens in stages. When I frist bought my '65, it was my daily driver for over two years, and my only transportation. This was early '80's. I had a terrible, long commute from Oakland to San Francisco in bumper to bumper traffic every day. Every weekend, I was repairing something else on the car: bent pushrods, broken transmission bearing retainer, broken u-joints, etc: all products of an old car that had been used hard and put away wet many times. Gradually, I repaired things as they broke the RIGHT way (as money and time allowed) and ended up with a reliable car that didn't "hate" me anymore. Then, I bought my '67 convertible and started the process all over again. It took a long time to sort the bugs out and fix all of the glitches. But now, the car is as reliable as a rock. It takes skill and patience to undo the damage that time and multiple owners have done to these cars, but, they are machines, and as such, are fully repairable to workable condition. Hang int here!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Hoooo weeee! Does that ever sound familiar!

I have a theory. It's because the GTO's are selective. Not just any wannabe gearhead who only has experience with ::cough spit:: chevys is worthy of "the Great One". The cars, knowing this, make sure that only those who have the courage, tenacity, and most of all the ability to THINK through problems will be successful in restoring the beast to it's full (and deserved) glory. Any self respecting GTO would rather remain rusty and undrivable over having to suffer whims of some fool who thinks doing water "burnouts" in front of all his moronic buddies in some parking lot until the tires blow is "cool".

Yes, they will try you and test you. It's not easy. You have to understand how things are supposed to work and possess more than just the knowledge of how to navigate through the "pick one part from column A, one part from column B" Chinese menu mentality that the "brand c" guys use. But, it is SO worth it.

Bear

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
think of it as breaking wild horses, hell of a lot of work and expense, often think why in the Hell am i doing this to myself, everyone will think your crazy, theres no "wild horse breaking for dummies" book, usually not many knowledgeable people to help you (except on here), but when all is said and done you will be amazed every day you walk in your Stable (garage) at what you have accomplished and the Horses at your disposal.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Don't feel bad ....... I had many a battle with "Murphy." Everything was the worst case scenario or the most expensive fix. I lost many a battle but won the war I KO'd him in the last round.... he rises now and then to let me know he's still around.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
My Pontiac has been good to me, and I rebuilt everything on the car. Although, I do had have a cough, spit 468 Chevy and a LS1 Vette.. At least it's not a Ford.. I do have a LS Lincoln oops.. Poncho isn't the fastest car in my stable and it's gets to live inside the barn, while the others are in the driveway, but still cool..

·
Registered
686 Posts
I do have a LS Lincoln oops..

My younger brother sales cars and when he was at the Lincoln dealership. They had an on going bet that the service bay would always have an LS in it. He said one day it got close. The last one was leaving the back of the shop the exact same time a new one was entering the front. They always had 2 on the lift getting fixed. The next runner up for always broke was the Explorer also known as the exploder to the tech guys.

The LS is a beautiful car but it is notoriously broke all the time.

We have a 99 Cougar and it is a POS also. It has been broke since 2002 with 40,xxx miles, it is always something. She loves it and I like it's looks and the way it drives. It has enough power with the double overhead cam V6 and the 5speed. But I am tired of it being broke and how much of a PIA!!!! it is to fix. Worst car I have ever wrenched on. I can't even talk the one guy I trust to work on cars for me every once in a while into touching it. He has a professional shop. It has 99,xxx on it and looks like new.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Heh... well, I painted the grilles and all the bracketry last night, and the headlight buckets --- and headlight trim. The plan for today was to get the front bumper assembled and installed. Notice I said: "was" :eek:

First things first. I still needed to install the GTO emblems on the front fenders, and the trim around the rear of the hood and tops of the fenders, and the radio antenna. All the bright pieces hadn't been buffed yet so that took an hour or so to do. Then I remembered the bracket on the base of the antenna broke long ago so I needed to repair that, and to mock that up the passenger side fender needed to come off so I could get to the back side of the mount. So that meant the hood had to come off first. While I was in the midst of all that, my new less than 6 months old Ingersoll Rand SS5 compressor kicked on and sounded sick - it was running veeeeryyyy sloowwwwwwly... and making a squealing noise. Ut oh. The oil in the sight glass on the pump was dark green. I drained it --- dark green and full of metal. Looks like the pump has eaten itself. Good thing I'm done painting! Looks like I get to find out how good their warranty service is. :mad:

Welp, got the trim on, the antenna on, the emblems on --- and figured since the hood was off it'd be good time to run the cables for the Ram Air system and also reconnect the neutral/park interlock linkage between the transmission and the steering column. Of course, with the headers on - it wouldn't go back on and hit just about every place that it was possible for it to hit something. Several hours later after test fitting it and re-bending the rod about a bazillion times, it's on and working. It's 1:30 in the morning, the hood's still sitting on saw horses, and the bumper still isn't assembled. I'm going to bed - after I shower. Maybe I'll get the bumper on tomorrow night - but I probably should re-install the wiper mechanism before I put the hood back on. :willy:

Bear

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Likethat, when I got the Lincoln I went on the forum. The rule with a LS is not to buy it untill it hits 60K, by then everything should be fixed.. I lost COPS weekly for a while, I keep spares COPS and plugs in the trunk now. Now, I have 116K on it, got it at 58K, and knock on wood, it runs good. Sounds like the calipers are going to rattle off the car. It has the Jag 3.9 V-8 and is a great highway car, just a PITA to own.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I like to think of it as something I havent learned yet when I have problems. Once you are intimate with every piece of the GTO and how they work, things will go easy. I hardly ever have problems with mechanical stuff on these old cars, mainly because I know what to expect and how to get around issues.

If you still have problems, just rub the dash lovingly and say "Come on baby, Start" but you have to say it with feeling...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts