Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't condone any street racing, but two days ago a damn rice burner Civic wanted to race. Of course, I had nothing better to do then teach this guy a lesson. So I beat him out of the hole, but then this damn Civic caught up to me around third gear and stayed with me the rest of the way until we both slowed down. I don't think I heard him spraying or heard any turbos but what the heck? :willy:

It was a hatchback of some sort, anyways... I was pretty shocked that something like that could have even kept up. Do I need to be weary of these cars? I am assuming because they are so light, and that couldnt have been a stock motor he was running. His license plate said B18C5HB, what ever the heck that means, maybe ya'll know.

Still love my GTO and never looking back.

Cheers!

·
Registered
103 Posts
He had a B18 engine in his car, this is one of the faster rice rocket engines that you can put into a light weight car like that, so its likely he had a high amount of power coming out of that little car, and thats why he was keeping up. Ive had the same **** happen to me before to, and it scared me stiff that that little piece of crap hung with my GTO!

·
Registered
212 Posts
yup, I must agree. My old Civic could probably beat my GTO as it stands for now... It's all about the power to weight ratio.. my motor would've dynoed somewhere around 200whp, in a 2100lb Civic. My GTO weighs over 4000, and dynos arouned 275-280whp.

Don't worry, highway pulls are where it's at!

·
Registered
197 Posts
the problem is all the gto's 04 05 have a system that won't allow the car to accelerate faster than what it's programed to ( this is big brother at it's best ) so even is your car had a 700 horse motor it won't be a 9 sec car till you have the computer reprogramed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
GNX231 said:
the problem is all the gto's 04 05 have a system that won't allow the car to accelerate faster than what it's programed to ( this is big brother at it's best ) so even is your car had a 700 horse motor it won't be a 9 sec car till you have the computer reprogramed.

What ARE you talking about? Traction control? That you can turn off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think maybe he means torque mgmt...only exists for A4's...tune will take care of it.

No other super-secret government control device :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Having an 01 Grand Am, those little ricer engines are my #1 nemsis. The B18 engine in a Civic hatchback is going to keep up with a ton of cars. That's the problem with the AutoZone generation (nothing against AutoZone, I love any place that disposes of my used motor oil for free), the damn cars are so cheap you can drop a high power engine in the car.

His plate probably means B18 engine, C5 (Corvette) Heart Breaker or if it was B18C5H8, then it's probably C5 hate. Damn 16 year olds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My roommate runs a B18C5 (1.8 litre DOHC vtec blah blah) in his integra. stock internals, full bolt-ons, 75 dry shot, and he is making 1/8m ETs good for high 12s on 205s street tread. Point being; you cant underestimate anything these days. I'd say that the guy was spraying.

·
Registered
307 Posts
B18C5 is the engine from an Integra Type R.

Very high-revving, all top-end motor. Not a lot of torque down low, but a Civic Hatchback (or CRX) is a lightweight car. The VTEC engines don't take forced induction well due to a lot of cam overlap, but a 50-shot isn't out of the question.

I used to own a couple of CRXes. Wrecked one, and blew the motor in the other. Still have a piece of the rod around here somewhere.

Wouldn't trade my '04 GTO for anything (except another GTO) though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The B18C5 and B series are not the most potent motor that you can cram into the civics these days. Everyone is moving onto the new K series motors, which come in the Acura RSX type S. Put a 200HP (flywheel HP) into a 1700 lb Hatch with bolt ons and you have a mid 13 second street car that will molest a GTO. That guy was not spraying probably, if I were to speculate and going off my knowledge of being a Honda tuner for the last 5 years, I would say he was running a B series motor, since the K20A swap is about 6 g's complete. He probably had minor bolt ons I/H/E and that is about it. A GSR B18C1 motor in a HB is good for low 14's to high 13's on streets. The GTO is rated at about 13.8 or so in the 1/4 mile with a good driver in the 6 spd manual. I love racing you guys, I have only ran one '04 GTO in my Neon (SRT-4) on a freeway pull and stayed right next to him, until about 4th gear where he started to creep away. and both cars were bone stock. As said before it's all about power to weight ratio, or a forced induction motor, ah yes that is the best!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aHH..

2tirefire you are right. I actually got to talk to the guy that I had raced last week. I saw him on base and asked him if he remembered racing me. He was very nice and explained what was in his car. He has a 92 Civic HB with a Japanes Type R tranny, motor, and a GSR head. He has a lot of bolt on parts and the car's motor and suspension have been professionally tuned. His car was seriously clean and very well built. I was very surprised about this Civic because most of what I see on the road are pure crap.

He told me that most don't suspect his car of being that fast and that's why he likes it, but he did give me props on my GTO. He is not running any nitrous, nor turbos, his car was all motor. Very nice Civic and a cool guy. Maybe when I see him next time I will ask for a ride and I will let you guys know.

Cheers :cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
well i dont care what people do to those rice burners..or them old tangs...but as you always notice they have to go out and put on more stuff to out run a stock gto. so the way i look at it. let them spend all they want. for what they have in those cars they could have one nice goat.....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.