Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kinda thought i was going to run a lil faster that a 9.4 I have a 04 a4 with 50,000 miles, CAI, SLP exhaust and X pipe, with new tires. does this sound right to you guy's? i was hoping for a 8.8 to a 9.2, what are yalls thoughts. it was weird geting bet my my brother in his 04 gt mustang automatic, 75,000 miles and just a CAI and Exhaust, he ran a 9.1

my reaction was .0821
60ft 2.0780
330ft 6.16
1/8 [email protected]

·
Registered
97 Posts
You were probebly spinning somewhere on the track. That 60ft isnt horrible if your on street tires. After the 60 don't know what happened to you. that should have been around a 8.8 pass at 80 or so mph. I ran 1/8 mile with similar mods plus longtubes and a tune with a 2.28 60 and stopped the clock at 8.79 with street tires spinning most of the way(horrible track prep and forgot to install the driver mod that day)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
The 2.07 60' is pretty good, you didn't spin out of the hole. Did you have it in drive, or shift it manually? Did you hit redline everytime, or did it hit the rev limiter?
As advertised, 13.0 cars, is 8.3 1/8th mile, so you're only a second away from being at the advertised numbers. Joke, I've never scene a stock GTO or Vette hit a 13.0, although all the bench racers will say they do...
1/8th mile is fun racing, you only pick up 20 or 30 mph in the 2nd 1/8th, kinda a waste of time and equipment. My buddy's pro mod runs 170 MPH in the 1/8th, 210 in the quarter, only pick up 40 in the second half with 3,000 HP.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
The 2.07 60' is pretty good, you didn't spin out of the hole. Did you have it in drive, or shift it manually? Did you hit redline everytime, or did it hit the rev limiter?
As advertised, 13.0 cars, is 8.3 1/8th mile, so you're only a second away from being at the advertised numbers. Joke, I've never scene a stock GTO or Vette hit a 13.0, although all the bench racers will say they do...
1/8th mile is fun racing, you only pick up 20 or 30 mph in the 2nd 1/8th, kinda a waste of time and equipment. My buddy's pro mod runs 170 MPH in the 1/8th, 210 in the quarter, only pick up 40 in the second half with 3,000 HP.
I ran a 12.895 with my GTO. Typically it was a 13.0 or 13.1. Guys were always asking me what I done to my car but it was stock other than a hole in the airbox and some ducting to bring more fresh air in from in front of the radiator.

When you say stock Vette's not running 13.0, I'm assuming you're talking C5 non Z06 cars right???

My C6's ran 12.5-12.8.

To the OP, your MPH is way off. Your car might have been too hot. Did you let it cool off before running? Like everyone has said, most people don't run the 1/8th. That's not where the LSX motors shine.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
When you say stock Vette's not running 13.0, I'm assuming you're talking C5 non Z06 cars right???
My C6's ran 12.5-12.8.
I was talking my LS1 99, not a Z06. I saw a stock Viper trying to bust an 8 stock. Converter below says an 7.9 is an 12.5 quarter, nice time. I haven't seen a C-6 run good... Guess I need a C-6 if they really run that strong., LS-3 I presume you are talking about.

Here is a converter to show 1/8th to 1/4 times.
Drag racing tools 1/4 mile & 1/8th mile conversion calculators

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I was talking my LS1 99, not a Z06. I saw a stock Viper trying to bust an 8 stock. Converter below says an 7.9 is an 12.5 quarter, nice time. I haven't seen a C-6 run good... Guess I need a C-6 if they really run that strong., LS-3 I presume you are talking about.

Here is a converter to show 1/8th to 1/4 times.
Drag racing tools 1/4 mile & 1/8th mile conversion calculators
I've had some bad nights that I ran real low 13's with either of the two I've owned. But what do you expect when the temperature is in the upper 80's and the humidity is just as high.

An average night and a C6 is running into the 12's. Those convertors are not always accurate. My C5 Z06 runs low 7.9's in the 1/8 but low 12's in the 1/4. You get a Lightning and the aerodynamics start to come into play in the 1/4 and the calculator is off the other way. Too many variables. Why use a convertor?

Why are we even talking the 1/8 mile anyhow. That's a guy in his 2001 Neon racing the 91 Civic Hatchie that has a fart can track.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Look on the tube there is plenty gto's runnning 12.9 best I ever seen was a a 12.6 with some blot ons'.....

I've seen a few camaros run 12.9 now thats making me happy also :D

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
One of the important things to compare is DA when looking at different runs in addition to the 60'. Still that looks rather slow. I found one of my bone stock runs with a much worse 60' that was considerably faster.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I wonder if they gave you the wrong time slip.

The mph is way too.

Plus you said you were spinning and that would indicate a poor 60' .

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I've had some bad nights that I ran real low 13's with either of the two I've owned. But what do you expect when the temperature is in the upper 80's and the humidity is just as high.

An average night and a C6 is running into the 12's. Those convertors are not always accurate. My C5 Z06 runs low 7.9's in the 1/8 but low 12's in the 1/4. You get a Lightning and the aerodynamics start to come into play in the 1/4 and the calculator is off the other way. Too many variables. Why use a convertor?

Why are we even talking the 1/8 mile anyhow. That's a guy in his 2001 Neon racing the 91 Civic Hatchie that has a fart can track.
How many Z06's have you owned, what years, and why did you sell and get a new one? Wish I had that deep of pockets..
The converters are accurate, unless you have a power adder.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Look on the tube there is plenty gto's runnning 12.9 best I ever seen was a a 12.6 with some blot ons'.....

I've seen a few camaros run 12.9 now thats making me happy also :D
All I know is what I see at my strip, and nobody is running the advertised ET factory, and I'm at sea level. Whether Vette, Viper or GTO. With Mods, all can get there.
Drag racing, you have to drive it like you stole it, and most street driving bench racers claim the numbers they see in road and track, but can't achieve.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
How many Z06's have you owned, what years, and why did you sell and get a new one? Wish I had that deep of pockets..
The converters are accurate, unless you have a power adder.
Since 2001 I've had 3 Camaro Z28's, 2 C5 Z06's, 2 C6 LS2 Vettes an 05 GTO and a 96 LT4 Vette that I should have never sold.

The converters are not accurate. If they were then we wouldn't see guys racing the 1/4 mile they would just race an 1/8. There are way too many variables for them to be acurate. Was the track clean and sticky or not. Aerodynamics above about 85-90 mph comes into play so different cars are going to go faster or slower than it predicts. How is the engine set up, does it make hp up high, that ties into gears too.

I have a friend that has a car set upto run the 1/8th. He's in 4th gear at 5000 rpms when he crosses the 1/8th. Put him on a 1/4 mile track and all sorts of cars that he had 5 car lengths on now blow by him. He runs a high 6 second 1/8 at 105-107. His 1/4 is probably 11 seconds if he doesn't blow his engine.

I just played with your calculator.

I ran an 11.501 at 118.93 in my first 02 Z06. I used the calculator for the trap speed and it told me 117.6. Don't remember any details other than that.

I pluged in 373 hp and 3311 lbs and it told me I would run a 11.972 at 113.01 mph. Sorry but a C5 Z06 with a vararam and a tune puts 373 to the wheels and runs 118+ mph in the 1/4. My stock Z06 runs 12.1's all day long and does it in the high 116's to low 118's with it's 360ish hp.

I took time slips from all over the place, Corvette forum, LS1 forum, the Mustang forum and here and plugged them in. The converter was close on a couple but it was off by as much as a second on some and more than 2 tenths on most. They don't work.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
All I know is what I see at my strip, and nobody is running the advertised ET factory, and I'm at sea level. Whether Vette, Viper or GTO. With Mods, all can get there.
Drag racing, you have to drive it like you stole it, and most street driving bench racers claim the numbers they see in road and track, but can't achieve.
I typically beat the numbers I see in Road and Track and Car and Driver in most cars.

I ran a 15.4-15.6, somewhere in that area, in my 03 Cavalier with an Ecotech. Car and Driver was the only road test I could find and they had 16.3 or 16.4.

Of my 2001 Z28 and 2 2002 Z28's they had 13.8 at 103. That's for an A4 2.73 geared car. I have several numbers, my 01 ran 13.9 but it wasn't very strong. My first 02 ran 13.6 stock at a SVTOA track event at Quaker City Raceway in Salem Ohio in August 2002. It was a very hot day and the best stock 03 Cobra ran a 13.4. My second 02 Z28 ran 13.6 with a dirty paper air filter. A clean filter dropped it to 13.5.

C5 Z06's are listed from 12.4-12.8. Stock I've always run the lower number.

My 2006 C6 ran a 12.6 with the A6 and the mag times were always 12.8. My 05 ran 12.4-12.5.

My GTO ran real consistant between 13.0 and 13.5 depending on how hot it was out. Heat and humidity kill the car so if you are out, and in Florida we get most nights like this, and it's 80-90 degrees with 80% humidity, sure the car is going to run slower. You need to understand the DA and how it affects cars.

·
Registered
738 Posts
One of the important things to compare is DA when looking at different runs in addition to the 60'. Still that looks rather slow. I found one of my bone stock runs with a much worse 60' that was considerably faster.

Umm wth is up with your r/t? I should beat you up and shove coffee down your throat for that lol......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts