Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2006 GTO M6. Let me start from the beginning. I had a coolant leak from the tank on the original radiator, so I replaced it with an orielly radiator. I later plan on getting a nice all aluminum one that will fit with my Vararam CAI. Anyways, I took my car to the drag strip and made a pass, and when I had gotten back and shut it off. I noticed antifreeze on the ground. The car was a little hotter than normal. I waited for it to cool down added water then drove home fine. Today I was driving home from work stopped at Lowes. When I came back out I noticed antifreeze on the ground. I wasn't far from home. So I started it up and began driving home. I noticed the temperature gauge rose above the normal temperature and I pulled over. Right as I was about to shut it off the temperature gradually drop to normal operating temperature. Do you guys know what is causing this?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Most likely the radiator. My AutoZone replacement lasted about 6 months. Ordered aluminum radiator from GTOG8TA dot com and put the matter behind me. Radiator was a direct fit. Minor issue with the brass drain petcock with its tabs that had a clearance problem with the fan shroud. Instead of trimming the shroud, just bend the ears on the drain valve so it can turn without hitting the shroud.

Now the car is called "Cool Thunder (...from Down Under)"
:)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Did you properly bleed the cooling system after changing the radiator?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Did you properly bleed the cooling system after changing the radiator?
^ this is a good suggestion.
I missed the part where the system cooled back down after running warm. Air in the system could cause that symptom...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Yeah, I went through that when I changed the thermostat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes, getting the air out after replacement is a must. To check this, run your heater on warm up. If the heater gets hot, the radiator should be bubble free.

I went with a Mishimoto as a direct fit and it works perfect with my 06 M6. The aluminum radiator from GTOG8TA looks like it is for an auto transmission with the extra trans cooler inlets and outlets on the GTOG8TA. Make sure you get the new one for a manual tranny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts