Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
564 Posts
The original / OEM Ram Air exhaust manifolds also had the thermally activated vent. Finding good originals is a tall order nowadays. The originals at this age tend to crack, better to go with good reproductions if you can find them with a decent lead time.

Cheers

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea... Unfortunately reproductions are scarce too. I had been waiting on Ram Air Restorations for almost a year. I finally gave up. Problem is a lot of suppliers got their stuff from Paul too. I was able to find a pair through the Parts Place. Reading through threads the quality isn't quite the same but people appear not to have problems with them. My manifolds are currently at Jet Hot in North Carolina getting the full Monty. 😁

· Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
5,322 Posts
The original / OEM Ram Air exhaust manifolds also had the thermally activated vent. Finding good originals is a tall order nowadays. The originals at this age tend to crack, better to go with good reproductions if you can find them with a decent lead time.

Cheers
As far as I see, Ram Air restorations has everything in stock.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope just cancelled my order order with Ram Air 10 days ago. They don't have the RH manifold. Unsure when it will be back in stock. there is a chance that's changed in the past 10 days.
Hey Army (or anyone), quick technical question. I don't use gasket sealer for oil filter housing is that correct?

· Registered
7,374 Posts
Nope just cancelled my order order with Ram Air 10 days ago. They don't have the RH manifold. Unsure when it will be back in stock. there is a chance that's changed in the past 10 days.
Hey Army (or anyone), quick technical question. I don't use gasket sealer for oil filter housing is that correct?
You shouldn't need any gasket sealer BUT, today's gaskets are not always the best as the ones back in "the day." So if me, I would use a very thin even coating, nothing heavy that will squeeze out, on both sides if going with a silicone sealer.

This has been pointed out before, but a good product for such use is Indian Head Gasket Shellac. It is about like syrup in consistency and is applied with an applicator that is built into the cover - like what some of the liquid shoe polish used to use way back when when people actually wore shoes and not tennis sneakers, crocs, and flip flops. LOL

The stuff is easy to apply thin and seals well. The down side is that it can be a real bear to separate parts once this stuff has cured for years. It is almost like a glue. Of course not impossible when separating 2 surfaces, just may fight it a little, so not an issue where you don't plan on pulling parts off anytime soon - like a fuel pump. Do NOT ever use it on threads as you may break the bolt off before you ever get the bolt to break free - happened to me on a Ford 302 intake bolt that someone had put this stuff on the threads.

Brown Liquid Bottle Fluid Bottle cap

· Registered
1,502 Posts
As far as I see, Ram Air restorations has everything in stock.
The website says they have everything in stock. Place an order and see when they ship. I cancelled an order after waiting for a year. I ran into the same thing on all the supplies a year ago. I reached out to everyone and no one had them, and no one seemed to know when they would be available (Ames, Butler, Parts Place, Year One, OPG, etc).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts