Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading on some other forums that all these Cobra owners are saying that a stock Cobra can destroy a 05 GTO. Well a buddy of mine owns a stock 03 Cobra, been trying to get him to race , he says he will but we just haven't got together yet. I'm calling him right now and to tell him to meet me at the track tonight for the "test and tune"!!!! If he shows up I'll let you know how it turns out!! :cheers

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
gameover said:
I've been reading on some other forums that all these Cobra owners are saying that a stock Cobra can destroy a 05 GTO. Well a buddy of mine owns a stock 03 Cobra, been trying to get him to race , he says he will but we just haven't got together yet. I'm calling him right now and to tell him to meet me at the track tonight for the "test and tune"!!!! If he shows up I'll let you know how it turns out!! :cheers
Hell yeah!!!!! Let us know how it goes!!!!! :cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hate to say it, but if the driver of the Cobra is good, it'll probably pull the GTO. It won't "destroy" it, but it'll pull a carlength or two on it is my guess.

·
Registered
96 Posts
lookin for fellow goats

just moved to greenville S.C. I have seen one other GTO and it was leaving the other way,,,this place is Bimmer heaven(BMW has a big distribution plant here),,,GTO dealer,,any ideas on where to find a reputable go shop or dealership for repairs? really very few performance cars arond me,,think I saw an old Z28 yesterday,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
badtmpdgoat said:
just moved to greenville S.C. I have seen one other GTO and it was leaving the other way,,,this place is Bimmer heaven(BMW has a big distribution plant here),,,GTO dealer,,any ideas on where to find a reputable go shop or dealership for repairs? really very few performance cars arond me,,think I saw an old Z28 yesterday,,,,,,

Waitaminnit.

You're in "Bimmer heaven" yet thereare "Really very few performance cars arond me?"

:confused

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
gameover said:
I ran a stock 03 Cobra a week ago. He took me out of the hole. I quickly caught him. At the end it was still me, but he was running faster and gaining. The air was not good that night, so we were both way off our bests. My car is not broken in yet too.
From what I have seen, the Cobra varies a lot. I went to an SVT event at Quaker City Raceway in September of 2003 with a group of invited GM guys. Bone stock they varied from 13.3 to 14.2. The temp was high and everyone was off by .2-.3. I managed a 13.75 in my bone stock 02' Z28.
Two things to remember, 1 for a $1000 bucks in mods he will run mid 11's, 2 His car is still a Mustang. Your car is competition for a BMW or Mercedes.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Groucho said:
Waitaminnit.

You're in "Bimmer heaven" yet thereare "Really very few performance cars arond me?"

:confused
In places other than California BMW = Snob car that people baby and drive real slow so everyone sees them. F-body/Mustang = Performance car, or better yet a Hemi pickup. Hope that clears this up for you Groucho. :rofl:

·
Registered
8 Posts
badtmpdgoat said:
Try www.scfyb.com. They can help with a local dealer recommendation.

As far as performance shops, there are several in Atlanta. Around you, there is Hawks Third Gen (they do LS1 work as well) and in Charlotte there is MORE Performance and F-body motorsports.

For tuning and great installation, you have to go to Durham NC. Jeff at Carolina AutoMasters is the best in the area.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I hate to disappoint everyone but his wife wouldn't let him come out and play!!! I'm leaving for Montana Sunday so when I get back in town I'm going to try to set it up again! Sorry! :rolleyes:

Rockit : Thanks for the info about Jeff w/ AutoMasters in Durham! :cheers

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Let me do some checking into this and I will see if I can find you a good dealer there. I will get back to you soon. I do not know many other dealers out your way but will try.
With the holiday this Monday it might be Tuesday before I can get you an anwser.

·
Registered
96 Posts
what I meant is that everyone here seems to think that you have to own a bmw(there are more here than I have ever seen in one place) to equal what is their interp. of a performance car that is of high quality,,I get a bunch of "snob" looks,,one guy even had on "racin" gloves. Mostly they just look out of the side of their eyes at me. I have not seen very many other GM V8's out here,,maybe because I am new here,,but :rofl:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Around here you can't throw a rock in a parking lot without hitting three of them... of course, this is just a theory. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like it when the driver comes up to you at the light and literally turns in his seat to look at the car(even more now that I am wingless) :cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
My friend has an 03 Cobra. I challenged him and told him what track to go to and he never showed up. I new I would get beat, but I still wanted to race.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read an article where they put an 03 Cobra against an 04 GTO. Yes the Cobra won most of the performance part, but it was not by a commanding amount. The interesting part of the article came from the person writing it. He said after driving the Stang and Goat, performance wise he would have a Stang, but after driving the Goat in real world situations, the Goat is what he would have in his garage. Why don't we take the Goat for what it is. A damn good perfomer, with decent looks and one helluva badass engine. Excellent comfort with performance. I'd take that any day over a rattle trap stang anyday. Even if I may get beat by .2-.4 tents of a second.

·
Registered
28 Posts
gameover said:

i have 3 friends with cobras...2 04's and an 03....all have exhaust and intake....my 05 gto gets them all by at least 1.5 cars....from a dead stop and from a roll....400hp naturally aspirated...to a blown motor....sorry cobra owners, but its not worth it

·
Registered
28 Posts
fergyflyer said:
I ran a stock 03 Cobra a week ago. He took me out of the hole. I quickly caught him. At the end it was still me, but he was running faster and gaining. The air was not good that night, so we were both way off our bests. My car is not broken in yet too.
From what I have seen, the Cobra varies a lot. I went to an SVT event at Quaker City Raceway in September of 2003 with a group of invited GM guys. Bone stock they varied from 13.3 to 14.2. The temp was high and everyone was off by .2-.3. I managed a 13.75 in my bone stock 02' Z28.
Two things to remember, 1 for a $1000 bucks in mods he will run mid 11's, 2 His car is still a Mustang. Your car is competition for a BMW or Mercedes.
My friend has an 03 cobra with exhaust, intake, pulley, off road x pipe, and a 315bf goodrish drag radial....hes going like 12.2's.....and thats a lot more than a grand...the exhaust and intake are a grand alone.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts