Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the stud on the left is where the engine hoist lug goes, ok, what if anything goes on the front of the other one?
(this cheesy little stud seems way too small to hold the weight of a GTO motor?)
Also, where is the 2nd point that is used to hoist the engine?
thanks as always

Attachments

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I know the stud on the left is where the engine hoist lug goes, ok, what if anything goes on the front of the other one?
(this cheesy little stud seems way too small to hold the weight of a GTO motor?)
Also, where is the 2nd point that is used to hoist the engine?
thanks as always
I wouldn't use the timing cover stud to lift it, you don't want to risk bending it and not having the timing cover and water pump aligned. Just use any bolt hole in the front of the motor, then bolt the other end of the chain to a tranny mount hole on the back of the motor.. Once the heads are on, use the head holes to bolt the chain to, or use a carb plate adapter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
There is a cast hole at the back of the block for lifting the engine in the rear. It is better to use a carb plate to lift the engine. It will lift it level and they have adjustable holes to get the angle correct with the bell housing. Getting the engine level side to side and the right angle for the bellhousing makes removing and installing the engines very simple. i would bolt the heads on first. Installing and getting the correct bolt torque is difficult on the right side if its an A/C car and the steering shaft makes the left difficult.

·
Registered
704 Posts
factory used stud for lifting and those studs are stronger than bolts. Engine was installed with carb in plate, so no way then to use carb lift plate. Also, some blocks did not have a cast lift hole in rear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts