Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the h3ll is this in the owners manual about not tinting the rear window of an 05 cuz it will booger up the radio antenna? Is that for real?
If it is I guess I won't be listening to the radio.
Terry

·
Registered
222 Posts
My Tint installer asked to see my owner's manual : once he read the disclaimer on the read window - my only choice was to purchase NON-METALLIC tint ( which is always more expensive). I have Non-Metallic tint on the back window and have no radio antenna problems . I even run the XM radio antenna thru this tint and get 3 bars... Hope that helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have my back glass fully tinted top to bottom with metallic film (the installer that has been around for years, very reputable said they couldn't warranty like they do for the non metallic ie dyed tint). I kind of went along with the belief of some on here that.. the antenna is in the glass, the signal for the most part is coming in from outside the car not inside so I wasn't too concerned about losing reception.. and I haven't. I put in Sirius and really don't seem to have any trouble with the antenna receiving the fm signal from there except that the radio (even before the tint) seems to pickup stations from way beyond what I always thought was fm range so sometimes I have to change the frequency on the sirius if a far away station comes in a little too strong. That's my 2 cents. And for what's it's worth... I understand there are no inputs to the Blapunkt unit.. is this true based upon a) some literature, b) someone actually pulled the unit and looked

·
Registered
53 Posts
my tint

I used 3M Carbon Fiber based tint ,I've had no problems what so ever.

:D

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
3m tint and I get stations from Tampa (90 miles away) and Jacksonville (110 miles away) with little distortion. I was told the dyed tints fade to a purple and you can't use windex on them. That was definately deal killers for me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just got an XM Roady Xt receiver. Can anyone offer up any suggestions for the best place to mount the antenna? One of the posts here implied they have the XM antenna through the rear window tint, does that mean they have this mounted inside the car on the rear shelf? I understand you have to mount the antenna on a metal surface. If anyone can suggest the best place to mount and more importantly, details on running the wiring with minimal "pain", it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an XM "Roady2" and simply put the magnetic antenna on the rear speaker shelf. Wanted tp put on the truck lid but was not comfortable pulling wire thru the rear seat in to the trunk. So far I have not had any problems...the reception is as good as it was externally on the roof of my old '87 T/A GTA. Hope this helps

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for the info Goat! I will give that a try. I am the same as you in not wanting to pull wire to the trunk. If I have to, I would rather mount the antenna on the trunk rather than the roof, however, if it will work in the back window, that is the plan! Where did you run the wire from the front to the back? down the side and up under the door step (for lack of a better terminology?) then up beside the back seat?

R

·
0 Posts
What I did with my satelite antenna and to run it through the back seat, (there is a nice listtle hole in the interior next to the rear seat back) then i ran it under the weatherstrip (just had to make a notch) then I ran it up the inside of the window molding, ( had to use a screwdriver to get it under) then over to the top of the window in the center. Then i used 3M double sided tape(it's thick) and stuck it to the top of the window.

I didn't want to put it on the paint due to my last car, i had it on the center of the roof, and it ended up getting scratched to ****.

·
Registered
53 Posts
tint

You may want to look into 3M's new carbon fiber based tint.
I had 15% applied to all windows except the front.
No problems with reception and it looks awesome.
It was about $40 more than the Lumar metal based film.

·
Registered
233 Posts
So I take it that the install instructions saying it needs to be mounted on a metal surface at least 2" from the edge is not necessary. That sounds like a nice install on the rear window surface. I took a look and if can find that hole in the back seat, may run it through and mount it on the bottom center of the window. Running it around the window frame and across the top looks like a pain. Across the top it does not seem there is enough molding to run it under. Thanks for the input.

B

·
0 Posts
There is a place I go to, down in Fredericksburg, VA that will do any percentage tint as long as you pay cash. I used to get 5% on all my windows (limo tint) and after paying over $600 in tint tickets, decided to go legal at 35% on the cavalier. Havent been pulled once!

Oh, and they charged me $200 for all 3 windows on my vette (VERY hard back window) and only $160 for all 5 windows on the cavalier.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts