Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have an 06 auto and I was wondering from the auto owners whats the best way to launch or race? When I mean race more on road and street kills..I put it on d3 at the light and then just punch it to drive then I guess I am off. I was curious for those auto owners whats the best tip to get the best result from us auto owners?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
If your computer is stock, the car won't let you spin the tires while holding the brake down. If you mash the gas down, the ass end just squats and the car sits there at 600 rpms or so. Hold the brake down, push the gas pedal all the way down to the floor then bring it up about an in inch or 2 and hold it there. Light goes green, let off the brake and keep it pointed straight. You'll get a feel when the car digs in and gets traction, that's when you can give it full throttle.

If you have a flash tuner or a dyno tune, the torque management and wheel spin inhibitor is removed so you can't mash the gas down at a light with the brake pressed in because it will light up your rotors and pads like a Christmas tree, not to mention melt expensive rubber.

At highway speeds, if you sense that there may be a confrontation about to come up, all you can do is downshift into 3rd and wait. If you're driving less then 80, you can downshift into 2nd. My car holds 2nd gear until 80 mph and 3rd gear until 120, I don't know how long it holds 1st gear, that's the intense-just trying to keep the damn thing pointed straight-moments of racing that I don't have time to glance down at the gauge panel for.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Stay out of the dead spots. 20-29, 55-65 are really good starting points from a roll. Any other speeds she'll probably be at low rpm's in that particular gear and it'll take her awhile to build up momentum. Obviously the GTO A4 is at best from a stop. From a stop instead of stabbing it roll into the throttle with ease and you'll get decent results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
from a stop , i do a light brake stand .
i always use 3rd to launch , the shift points are better in the trans than drive
roll into the gas ,watch for a step out on the 1-2 shift .
my car almost always jumps about a foot to the right on the 1-2 .

·
Registered
48 Posts
power brakeeeeeee lol. ya power braking is easiest way

·
Registered
53 Posts
usually i keep the tc on and tap it and first to get moving then punch it and usually that works other wise u get wheel hop
A little confused on this.. So from a stop you leave the traction control on and then after the vehicle is in motion u quickly turn it off before it reaches second gear?

I usually turn the traction control off and do a quick power brake, stop, put it in Drive, then try and slowly get into it till the pedal is floored. So far, I've had mixed results.
My bro has an 02 z28 6 speed rag top that he pulls a consistent 13.1 in. Only one time can I remember getting a good launch and actually beating him. Maybe he just had a bad launch?:eek:
So any more detailed tips anyone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
you talking about automatics, Im comming from Automatics to a Manual and damn i really Do need Hardcore practice at manual. But im afraid ill fry the clutch.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If your computer is stock, the car won't let you spin the tires while holding the brake down. If you mash the gas down, the ass end just squats and the car sits there at 600 rpms or so. Hold the brake down, push the gas pedal all the way down to the floor then bring it up about an in inch or 2 and hold it there. Light goes green, let off the brake and keep it pointed straight. You'll get a feel when the car digs in and gets traction, that's when you can give it full throttle.

If you have a flash tuner or a dyno tune, the torque management and wheel spin inhibitor is removed so you can't mash the gas down at a light with the brake pressed in because it will light up your rotors and pads like a Christmas tree, not to mention melt expensive rubber.

At highway speeds, if you sense that there may be a confrontation about to come up, all you can do is downshift into 3rd and wait. If you're driving less then 80, you can downshift into 2nd. My car holds 2nd gear until 80 mph and 3rd gear until 120, I don't know how long it holds 1st gear, that's the intense-just trying to keep the damn thing pointed straight-moments of racing that I don't have time to glance down at the gauge panel for.
+1

This pretty much sums it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts