Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car gets shipped across the big pond with the tires bulging at 60PSI - the dealer is supposed to let them down to the normal 35PSI - mine did not.

I only had a couple hundred miles on 'em, so not that big a deal, but all owners may want to take a quick check.

---Larry

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you notice how the ride sucked ass? At that tire pressure for a couple thousand miles you would definitely be able to see un even tire wear, can we say crowning! Good lookin out LARRY!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Larry, thanks for the info, picked mine up on Monday and noticed it road like a brick. Sure enough, 55PSI in all of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine was deliverd to me @ 45psi. At least they were all -exactly- 45psi on my digital gage, which says someone used something precise, although wrong.

Set mine to 32psi as the manual lists 30psi for loads up to 450ish, and 35psi for max loads.

- Dieter

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What ? RFM?

I looked at the little sticker in the door, perhaps I should have put my glasses on? I thought it said 35/35 was "normal".

Larry

·
Registered
18 Posts
LarryM said:
What ? RFM?

I looked at the little sticker in the door, perhaps I should have put my glasses on? I thought it said 35/35 was "normal".

Larry
In an unusual step, I actually covered most of my manual. There is a chart in there that lists more detailed pressure info than the door sticker (which only says 35psi). It details the 235 and 245 width tires (based on load) and the spare. I usually just look at the door sticker as well, so this is why it stuck out on my mind. I just picked 32psi, even though 30psi would be 'correct' based on how I'd be driving 99% of the time.

OK, what does RFM mean?

- Dieter

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xp800 said:
...OK, what does RFM mean?

- Dieter
Sorry, that one's oldie I guess, its: Read the F'ing Manual - a derogator term, as you may guess.

So I should RFM.

Speaking of that, did everybody get the owners manual on CD as well as the regular paper one? How cool is that?

---Larry

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you look at the pressure printed on the sidewall; it is 300 KPA or 44PSI at max load. That may be why one of the cars was "set" at 45 PSI. That said, as soon as I read this thread I went out and sure enough 60 PSI !!!!!!
We might want this thread to be highlighted somehow so others will know enough to check !!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up my purple Goat last night, just now checked the pressure after reading this thread - 56-58 psi all the way around. Thanks for the heads up!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
LarryM said:
What ? RFM?

Larry
Good heads up about the air pressure... thats what forums like this are all about. Larry, you want to go by the sticker in the door. Tire pressure goes by the weight and load of the vehicle. A stripped down lighter weight may require a different tire pressure. The manual may cover information in a more general sense.

The pressure listed in the door sticker is... Cold pressure measurement. After tires heat up they will gain about 3 or 4 psi.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For stock tires the pressure should be 30 to 35 PSI depending on the load. It's in the manual....Don't get confused they also list the pressure for the 18 in. that we don't have !!!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
TORRIDONE said:
52 psi all around sheech! was anyones pressure right?

Robert

I just checked mine and yes, one was right, the rear passenger was at 35. The rest where around 55 psi which would explain the harsh ride. The dealers are dropping the ball as test drivers are feeling an untrue ride.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
muohio said:
I just checked mine and yes, one was right, the rear passenger was at 35. The rest where around 55 psi which would explain the harsh ride. The dealers are dropping the ball as test drivers are feeling an untrue ride.
Doesn't this make you wonder how the heck ONE would be right? :confused

·
Registered
590 Posts
Since this wasn't "sticky-ed", I'm just bringing it TTT (to the top)

as mine too, 55 psi all the way around, digital.

That really pisses me off since the ride was so dramatically different and better once you drop down to the 35 / 30 as sticker / manual suggests.

I drove around for 2 days starting to think the ride was worse than my SS Camaro.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks to you guys, I borrowed a guage from the service dept before I even drove off the lot and to my surprise they had the tires to 35psi already.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow! That's the only one I've heard of as being right!

I did report this back to my sales guy who promised to wail upon the service dept, so hopefully at least one dealer is catching this now.

---Larry

1 - 20 of 42 Posts