Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this probably been answered in various fashions in the past but I need specific assistance on tire selection

The 2005 GTO has the 245 40zr17 stock wheels.
Big Mike mentioned that I could upgrade to a 275 40 17 and that would work fine. Is that regardless of the manufacturer or does it vary?
I have a guy who found me a couple BFG 275 40 17 but they were not sure if they would fit. Thats my first question.

second - I will be having the procharger installed within the next two weeks. With the extra HP I need wider tires with more traction to take advantage of the power (obviously). What do you guys recommend for mainly street driving (some street dragging) and a little track work? I can keep my originals for winter. I've heard Nitto's are very good (not sure if they make 275 40 17 - didn't look like it) or the BFG drag radials.

So I need to know what will realistically fit and what tire would be optimal. Please be as specific as possible
Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey all, Newbie here, Just to make sure, is any 275/40/17 acceptable on the GTO?
Is this size ok for front and rear?

·
Registered
910 Posts
big_mike said:
Only use Nitto's so you dont have to roll your fender. They can be found here:

http://www.nittotire.com/tires_555r.asp

Sizes can be found here, and they DO come in stock size and 275-40's:

http://www.nittotire.com/popup_555r_sizes.asp

They spin enough to where you wont break anything but still hook hard enough to give you a good time.
Mike..........on the size chart, recommended wheel width is a min. of 9" for the 275-40. Will these tires still be OK on an 8' wide wheel? Hopin I dont have to get new wheels again just for the rear.

118 Posts
I had Nitto 555Rs in 275/40-17 on my rears for 13,000 miles with no rubbing problems and great traction! Looks and feels fine on the rear stock rim. Leave the fronts with the stock size . . .

·
Registered
228 Posts
Umm...I am not sure if you just answered this, but the 275 will fit on the STOCK 17" rim?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.