Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to start a new thread and see who is running what brand and model tires.

I'm still on the OEM's but it's getting about time and trying to decide. It is summer time and I am probably just going to just MELT whatever set I buy. So I'm considering the cheap Kuhmo's or Avon's from TireRack. But I've also been looking long term at the Firestone's. My brother runs a Z down in Fla and has had great success and life with them.

Any horror stories or successes?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Didn't care for the factory wheels. Ordered a set of 18s from Boyd Coddington -- and needed new tires as a result.

Had money in the budget for whatever tire I wanted -- but the thought of buying a new set of really expensive skins after something like 8000 miles just goes against my nature.

So I went cheap and bought a set Falken Ziex 512s because they were something like $125 a corner. They basically keep the rims from sparking and that's about it.

Purchased them through tires.com and had one of their retail stores, America's Tire Company, do the mounting and balancing. Kept getting a vibration -- and had them rebalanced a couple of times. Finally talked to a manager -- who was really cool -- and looked the tires over. THEY WEREN'T ROUND. Tried different positions on the wheel, etc., but nothing worked. So he just kept bringing tires over from the warehouse until he got 4 that were right. He went through something like 12 of them.

Meanwhile, I called Falken technical support -- and the clown who answered the phone was so rude that I called Hideo Honda, the president of the company, and threatened to call NHTSA if somebody didn't call and apologize. The same guy who was rude called back the next morning -- so I hung up on him. As for the round Falkens -- they're actually not too bad -- but they're slightly buzzy -- particularly in the back.

Bottom line? Falken Tire Corporation stinks. Falken Tires stink. tires.com is great. America's Tire Company is really great. Good luck. Heard really good things about the Avons, Fuzions (off brand Bridgestones, BTW) and, believe it or not, Cooper Tire, of all people, actually makes a pretty decent performance tire. Be careful of Tire Rack -- some of the product they sell is over 4 years old. Some of the BMW guys have been getting those old tires -- and having belts break after 500 miles.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had just put new wheels,and tires on my goat. The brand I went with were Sumitoma su htr +. They w rated, and perform much better than the stock tires. I bought them from Tire rack for 102.00 each. The size is 245 40 18.:cheers

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Falken 512s b_a_betterperson. I had been considering those. I don't need tires yet for the GTO but I'm not impressed with the stock KDWSs. Plus I've needed to buy a set of new 205/55-16s for another car in my stable so have been looking at what options there are to consider. I ran Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP on my Camaro Z28 with great satisfaction after a disastrous experience with Bridgestone RE730s which hardened in the summer heat and would not even hold the back-end down on dry pavement and became treacherous in the rain. The Firehawks are now only a run-flat tire so I’m not up for paying $250+ a tire. The Kumho ECSTA ASX and Pirelli PZero Nero M&S became my top choices. Then the 205s Michilens I had on the car separated so I had to buy last weekend and got the Kumhos because that was what Discount Tire had in stock. I'm pleased and they are rated very well so my next set of GTO tires will be the Kumho ASXs or Pirelli Pzeros. Discount Tire is a great place to buy tires. I’ve bought all my tires from Discount Tires in the last 25 years, except for two – both of which I've had to go back to Discount and trade them in because I was dissatisfied with their performance. Also, when you look at the final package price, Discount has always beaten TireRack for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm running stock tires on my 04 GTO, but I also have a Vert Vette and just put Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's and they ROCK !! I would highly reccomend you check them out. They are not cheap, but worth every dime.
Steve :cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.