Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried one of these? Do they actually increase HP?

Designed for PONTIAC GTO 2004-2006

PART# 1075

Specifically created for the PONTIAC GTO, the AR power chip is built and designed with horsepower in mind. 20+ to be specific. Amazingly small and simplistic, this mod is guaranteed to increase your engine’s horsepower and torque output.

Accelerate faster. You can be guaranteed to feel a difference. 20 horsepower is exactly the type of performance upgrade you could expect from more popular yet more expensive modifications. The AR power chip gives you this exact same performance boost out of a small, inexpensive chip. And best of all it’s easy to install. NO MECHANICAL EXPERIENCE IS NEEDED. You plug and play this chip.

No soldering wires. No splicing wires. No cutting wires. No welding. No disassembling and reassembling required. This allows YOU to install our chip. Even cold air intakes require some sort of mechanical knowledge to install. With our exceptionally detailed instructions you can be rest assured to have the chip installed in less than 5 minutes by YOU! Don’t pay a mechanic $60 an hour to install an expensive modification that has exactly the same effect on performance as the AR power chip.

With such a small price tag you might think this mod is nothing but an ebook with instructions to modify your engine as it is. But the AR power chip is an actual electronic chip that is plugged into a sensor near your vehicle’s air box. It’s a simple plug and play installation that is guaranteed to provide results. It’s small. It’s simple. It’s amazingly effective.

Many of our customers tell us that the price and performance promise of our chip seemed simply too good to be true. Paying less than $20 for a modification that will have the same effect of a brand new cat-back exhaust just seems mind-boggling.

So how can we sell you such an effective modification at such a low cost?

First of all, we manufacture and distribute our chips in extremely large quantities. Add in the fact that we avoid overhead costs associated with keeping a storefront, and you can quickly see that we can sell a valid product at an extremely low cost.

Maybe you’re looking for just a little added horsepower to get rid of your car’s sluggish engine. Maybe you’re looking for a little bit of added torque to tow your boat. Maybe you’re just interested in more horsepower for as little $$$ as possible. In any case, you simply cannot go wrong with the AR power chip.

So what are the facts?

Complete AR power chip kit including the chip and instructions for under $20 shipped

At least 20 added HORSEPOWER

Increased TORQUE output – increased TOWING CAPACITY

Improved ACCELERATION

100% satisfaction guarantee backed by our 100% money back guarantee. NO FINE PRINT. NO HASSLES.

Q: Do you have a chip for <insert vehicle make, model, and year>?

A: If you find this auction and are looking for a chip for a different vehicle simply go to our eBay store and use the store's search function to find your particular vehicle in our inventory. If you still do not find your vehicle listed feel free to e-mail us and we will be happy to check whether we carry a chip for your vehicle.

Q: What is your return policy?

A: Our 100% satisfaction guarantee includes a full refund if you are not completely satisfied with the chip.

Q: You have a listing for my particular vehicle but I have done some modifications to it already. Will your chip still work and be just as effective in conjunction with these mods?

A: The AR power chip works alongside most popular modifications like intake or exhaust. The chip will not work with a turbo or supercharged motor. E-mail us if you want a specific answer.

Q: Do you use UPS, FEDEX, or the USPS for shipping.

A: All orders are shipped via the USPS.

The AR power chip is backed by our unmatched 100% satisfaction guarantee.

If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase simply e-mail us a request for an R#

After we receive your return, along with an attached R# you will be refunded the item's cost + the cost of shipping the item to you.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Based on what I have read about the mild tune set up for the GTO, it would make sense that a chip that changes the setting to a less conservative set up would increase the performance. I have heard about several people gaining well over 20hp just by getting a good tune. I doubt this would be as good but it seems possible.

Where did you find this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found it on ebay by typing in "2004 Pontiac GTO". I always like to look out on ebay to see if they have anything interesting that I can't live without. Its only like $10 or $12, so I thought I might give it a try, but I don't want to if it may hurt my engine or performance, but I definitely would if it will increase HP.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've never heard of these before, haven't tried one, and haven't heard of anyone who's tried one. However, the way that ad runs, it really really sounds like a scam of some sort.

At first I was thinking it was one of those ECU modifier things, but then I read this part:

NO MECHANICAL EXPERIENCE IS NEEDED. You plug and play this chip.

No soldering wires. No splicing wires. No cutting wires. No welding. No disassembling and reassembling required. This allows YOU to install our chip. Even cold air intakes require some sort of mechanical knowledge to install. With our exceptionally detailed instructions you can be rest assured to have the chip installed in less than 5 minutes by YOU! Don’t pay a mechanic $60 an hour to install an expensive modification that has exactly the same effect on performance as the AR power chip.
That, to me, sounds fishy. I cannot think of any way to install a chip that doesn't require some fiddling around inside. As they say that installing a CAI is harder, they are basically making it sound like you lift the hood, plunk down this piece in a groove, and shut the hood. Doesn't make any sense to me.

With such a small price tag you might think this mod is nothing but an ebook with instructions to modify your engine as it is. But the AR power chip is an actual electronic chip that is plugged into a sensor near your vehicle’s air box. It’s a simple plug and play installation that is guaranteed to provide results. It’s small. It’s simple. It’s amazingly effective.
"a sensor". Notice they do not name the sensor. Intentional vagueness is often a sign of a scam. As is overblown, too lengthy descriptions of just how great their product is (which is what this add does). Notice that if you check ads for legitimate parts, it is usually short and fairly to the point, with some description of factual stuff (manufacturer, color, what year and type of vehicle it fits, etc) along with a smaller amount of "fluff".

It is possible that this device works by disabling an emissions sensor or some such thing, in which case they could claim it really works but meanwhile it either is screwing something else up or putting your vehicle in the "not going to pass inspection" state. Or it could be a total scam. I lean toward one of these two possibilities.

So how can we sell you such an effective modification at such a low cost?

First of all, we manufacture and distribute our chips in extremely large quantities. Add in the fact that we avoid overhead costs associated with keeping a storefront, and you can quickly see that we can sell a valid product at an extremely low cost.
The above wording is another thing you frequently see in shadier ads. I see this in unproven natural/herbal medicine ads, MLM scheme ads, etc. It always seems to be at least semi-borderline products that use this wording for some reason. Granted, that in and of itself doesn't mean the product is bogus, but is another thing that puts me on guard.

Maybe you’re looking for just a little added horsepower to get rid of your car’s sluggish engine. Maybe you’re looking for a little bit of added torque to tow your boat.
This is an indicator that this is a blanket article and that they sell these things for plenty of other cars. Not many people are going to tow a boat with their Goat, and not many will say the engine is sluggish stock (even those who would prefer a quicker engine.)

The AR power chip is backed by our unmatched 100% satisfaction guarantee.
They say there is a money back guarantee. The thing is, almost 100% of the time that I hear someone purchase a product that is borderline snake-oil or otherwise dubious, when they go to return it for that "100% satisfaction guarantee", there is always some catch or some hoops that make it impossible to get their money back.

So to sum up, knowing nothing about the actual product, my impression is that this is not legitimate just by the way the article is written. The fact that this product is apparently only sold on eBay also enforces that conclusion.

I went out and did a search just to see if I could find any reviews of it, other stores that sell it, performance sites showcasing it, or things like that. No luck-- it does seem to be limited to eBay. I did however see an ad for it on eBay with a picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20HP...categoryZ33597QQihZ019QQitemZ8069634963QQrdZ1

That picture at the bottom is not a "chip" in any such way, but a resistor on a wire. So the fact that they are calling it a "chip" when it is not indicates that there is some deception going on right there. Granted, the version for the GTO could be different, but I get the impression it is a blanket product (and if it is a resistor on a wire, it can easily be a blanket).

Altogether, my impressions could be wrong, it could be a new company starting out who only have an eBay store now and don't know how to write ads so as not to trigger people's suspicions. But, my personal opinion is that there is something not quite as described about this--and calling a resistor on a wire a "chip" sure enforces that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
sounds like it hooks into the intake air temp sensor, essentially fooling the computer into thinking the air temps are lower than they really are. The higher the temps go the more timing is pulled, so this would give no benefit when the engine is cold, but should improve performance once warmed up. It can also cause pinging or knock retard, as there's a reason the factory pulls timing with higher air temps.

All in all should work, not sure of 20 HP, but splicing into your harness sucks. I'd rather have it done in the tune, but that is more money.

Jody

·
Registered
45 Posts
camcojb said:
sounds like it hooks into the intake air temp sensor, essentially fooling the computer into thinking the air temps are lower than they really are. The higher the temps go the more timing is pulled, so this would give no benefit when the engine is cold, but should improve performance once warmed up. It can also cause pinging or knock retard, as there's a reason the factory pulls timing with higher air temps.

All in all should work, not sure of 20 HP, but splicing into your harness sucks. I'd rather have it done in the tune, but that is more money.

Jody
I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Pretty popular scam on ebay. Open it up, and all it is is like 3 wires and a resistor.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I know exactly what they're doing: By putting a resistor on the AMM (MAF sensor), they're spoofing the ecu into thinking there is more air entering the engine. More air, and the ECU will pump more fuel in making way too rich. Great for more power, crappy for other things like fuel ecconomy, reliability and longevity.

We do this all the time with certain model years (read: OLD) of Saab Turbo engines when we turn up the boost in order to get nominal mixture.

What this will do to a normally aspirated engine is make it way too rich and in the long run, screw up the cats, among other nasty things.

Not only avoid it, but run away. True chip tuning adjusts the entire fuel mapping, whereas this just puts a blanket up-tick of fuel across the entire map. ECU chugs away dumping fuel, but can't figure out why the second o2 sensor is giving odd readings.

Guarantee the CEL light will come on.

Just my $.02 worth.

Jim Miller

'06 M6, Phantom Black, 18"
'02 Saab 9-5 Aero Turbo, modified
'93 Saab 900 Turbo, modified
'91 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible, Stock

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks - good point. Here is the email response I got from the chip manufacturers...

Hello,

The chip is installed into the Intake Air Temperature sensor of your vehicle. It modifies the sensor, telling it to send the message that you are receiving optimal air temperature into your air box. This message is relayed to the ECU, which in turn tells your engine that conditions are optimal and it can therefore perform at optimal conditions. This allows your engine to perform better, which results in increased horsepower and torque. This process does not harm your engine in any way.

What we are selling you is the chip that is installed onto the IAT sensor. Along with the chip you'll receive detailed instructions that will tell you exactly how to find your IAT sensor and how to install the chip. The chip plugs right into the sensor so you don't have to worry about cutting wires or soldering. It's very simple with the instructions we'll send you. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

AccelRacing

·
Registered
45 Posts
goatballs said:
Hey Blue Guy - I see you are in minneapolis - where abouts? I am in Maple Grove and I work in Plymouth. What are your Goat specs?
Very south end. Pretty much right across the street from Richfield.

Don't have a goat yet. My current employer sold off our division to another company and I have to wait until later this summer/fall to find out if I still have a job. It's looking good so far. Once I know for sure, I'll be getting an 05 or 06. All I can do for now is research, learn, and watch the market for going prices, problem areas, stuff like that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun on the job front. Good luck to you on that. What is fun is picking out your goat. Just make sure you get what is right for you. For me, the right choice was an 04 Phantom Black Metallic A4. I really like the black, but it certainly requires pampering.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sucks waiting, but if I do get the offer, it'll be better for me for quite a few reasons. A) Don't need to work downtown anymore, which leads to, B) Don't have to pay for parking every day. C) Better benefits. D) won't have to work for a company that sold us :D

I'd like to get black, but I'll take a blue. Red would be a last option and only if it's a great deal. I know what you mean though about pampering the black. My GTP is black. Getting it buffed and waxed in about a half hour to get rid of some of the swirl marks it's collected over the years.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.