Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is masked, clean, and I'm waiting right now for the induction period on the sealer so I can start applying it.

With a little luck and the Lord willin', today's the last day anyone will see this GTO "nekkid". :party:

Bear

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sealer's on. I've got some ooops spots to fix but nothing that's too bad, I don't think. One small run on the passenger door by the A-pillar, one spot where the hose got into it and another where a big ol' sweat drop landed on the trunk lid right at the edge of my spray pattern - argh! Mostly ok I think. I'm going to give it an hour or so and see if I can gently wet sand those spots out so I can continue with color.

I keep telling myself not to expect perfection on my first paint job, otherwise I'm never going to get this thing done.

Bear

·
Registered
659 Posts
Keep at it man, you will get r done. You did pick one of the hardest colors to get right, so give yourself some slack. Remember that you are going to have a grin on your face that can't be slapped off when your done.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I did. I was trying to make sure it got down the A-pillar behind the door and tarried just a tad bit too long.

Everything's fixed though, and the first coat of color is on with nary a mistake nor a run. I bought some "coverage" tape that has a checkerboard pattern on it you can use to tell when you've got hiding. One coat darn near did it, and I wasn't putting it on heavy either - "medium wet" just like the doctor ordered. PPG's tech sheet for this stuff says "two medium wet coats" and man they ain't kidding.

Can't wait to see what the clear does.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
looks great, what brand paint did you go with

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's PPG DBC 9700, activated with their DX57 hardener, with Southern Polyurethanes slow reducer. When my supplier went to look up how to mix the color, it turned out that there's no mixing - it's just pure black base.

I just finished up the 2nd coat. I reviewed the tech sheet one more time and it says "2-3 coats or until hiding is achieved. Avoid thick films of DBC". I might go with one more depending on how this one looks after it flashes. I'm planning on 4 coats of clear. It's going to be a long night :)

Bear

Addendum: putting on one more coat of base was definitely the right thing to do. It's really starting to get there.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
lookin good Bear, those 4 coats clear are gonna make it deep and leave plenty of meat for wet sanding, after a week and a half i have to lean into it to get the clear to cut with 1500 and no worries about sanding through by hand. Looking forward to seeing it shine later today i know you had a smile on your face when you hit the sack.....:cheers

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Excellent work, Bear. Looks like you really did your prep and homework well. Straight as an arrow and mean as hell. Congrats!!! I can't get over the high quality body and paint work done by "amateurs" on this Forum. Really impressive.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Yep, beer and drying paint, doesn't get much better.
Bear isn't the quietest guy, hope he's OK, maybe too many fumes..
Long last night, church today, maybe doing the family thing.. NOT..
Can't wait to hear the excuses, lol.. Hope it went good and his computer just crashed.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's done. I didn't get to bed until almost 8 this morning, after finishing the last coat of clear and cleaning my gun, etc. I think I dozed off sometime during the night waiting for one of the coats to flash and lost an hour or so.

I now have a healthy appreciation for paint booths. It's got more trash in it than Lindsay Lohan's closet. :eek:

I "worked" on a couple of the worst ones earlier with a razor blade and some 1000 grit though, and they cleaned right up so hopefully it'll all be ok.

All in all though, not too shabby for a first ever paint job done in a garage. It ought to perk right up once it's color-sanded and buffed. :D

Bear

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
looks great Bear....congratulations, 4 coats of clear should leave you plenty of meat to cut into, i finished cutting mine down to 2000 today and fixed the last few runs, then wheeled out the drivers side, after 2 weeks cure the clear is hard as a rock and takes a firm hand to get 1500 to start cutting....but the sanding and buffing made it a mile deep and made most of the debris nearly invisible....:cheers

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Are you sure you haven't done this before, Bear???!!! Looks better than some of the so-called "professionals" jobs. You give hope to all amatuers. Looks fantastic!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts