Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking bout a procharger but dont know the benifits or downs to super chargeing as to a turbo. you know life of the engine gas mileage things like that what kind of effects will doing these mods have on my new baby.
just searchin for MORE HORSE WITHOUT BUYING AN 05

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Supercharger

Prochargers are good. Magnachargers are good as well. Vortech and Kenne Bells are good, too, but I think of them more as Ford vendors than anything else. Vortechs always used to push the head gaskets out of the FoMoCo 302 V8.

If you go to http://www.magnacharger.com -- go to the pulldown menu that says "Quick Site Navigation" and go down to GM 2004 LS1 GTO and download the PDF from there. Its a step by step instruction manual -- and it is really, really well done. With one of their units at reasonable boost, you're looking at close to 500/500 on 91 octane pump gas. Don't remember the price off the top of my head, but you're probably looking at $6K or $7K at least, plus installation if you're not going to do it yourself. What's nice about this unit is that it's intercooled. Can't do any better than that for bang for the buck.

As for turbos, I just don't care for them. They're much more complicated than superchargers -- and the on/off nature of the boost is kind of a pain, particularly with a manually shifted car. You can get around that somewhat via twin turbos -- one smaller unit for smaller shots of fast responding boost -- and another, bigger unit for higher top end -- but life is complicated enough.

That said, your best bet is to simply wait a few months and hope to purchase an '05 with heavy discounts. It's a bit of a risk, but if it doesn't pan out, you can always go to Plan B.

·
Registered
38 Posts
tha joker said:
im thinking bout a procharger but dont know the benifits or downs to super chargeing as to a turbo. you know life of the engine gas mileage things like that what kind of effects will doing these mods have on my new baby.
just searchin for MORE HORSE WITHOUT BUYING AN 05
The cost of putting a blower assembly on your 04 GTO including labor for installation and the need for providing adequate fuel pressure with a new in-tank fuel pump, fuel tank basket modification, custom blower cam and tuning would probably run in excess of $8,000. You also have an alternative way to increase engine horsepower with a H&C installation which would also include a CAI system along with LT headers and an exhaust sytem to get maximum benifit. How much you are willing to spend and how far you go just depends on whether you want to stay within your states exhaust emissions standards as a street legal machine or an off road track or drag strip monster!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
If it wasn't such a pain in the rear to install a turbo system on the goat, I'd say go for it. The STS kit looks kind of cheezy IMO, the Australian twin-turbo kit almost looked better.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Supercharger. Very streetable, I think they all come with warranties and they sound MEAN!

·
Registered
267 Posts
i am thinking about the pro charger as well, but can get past the 10.5 to 1 cr and 7 lbs of boost having so much head pressure, with a non o ringed block? i realy like the streetability of thr procharger and the ease of installation, but reliability concerns me. i wish someone would talk me into it. :cheers

·
Registered
194 Posts
In short:

SuperChargers
Maggie - $6000 for a reliable upgraded kit + install. 385-400Hp

Vortec - high $5000's + intercooler + install. 450 Hp

ATI - $6000 + install. 450+ Hp

Turbo - STS - $4200 + Upgrade FMIC (?$1000) + install. 467 Hp

Heads/Cam/Headers - $2500/$350/$900 + install. 400-500 HP

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Actually I'm selling the Procharger for 4999.00 through the end of Feb., we just finished installing one and it made 455.2 whp and 412.7 ft lbs tq to REAR WHEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing else is done to this car, not even exhaust!! If you have any questions pm me and I'll go over them with you. :cheers

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so what is the street reliability on this charger my car is just stock but i want to keep the reliable part of it. is it a pain to install just the simple questions that would normally come with this kind of mod

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
So far no reliability issues, it takes about 10 to 15 hours to install w/basic tools. We highly recommend this kit for its driveability, relatively quite, makes awesome power and it comes pre-tuned! Its just plug and play, very nice air/fuel readings on the dyno! If you have any more ?'s pm me! :cheers

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dealer, Looking for something similar for the '05 M6. I want to be able to compete with the Z06 when it comes out. There's a lot of competition here in California. You just have to stay on top of your game if you want to have fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.