Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to big states, there can only be one king (sorry, New York). The real competition comes down to California vs. Texas -- a battle of red vs. blue, good vs. evil, surfboards vs. 10-gallon hats, avocados vs. Texas toast.

Texas sucks. California is king. Here are 10 reasons to prove it.

No. 10 -- People Want to Come Here

Would you rather see the Golden Gate Bridge or the Alamo? How about Hollywood or the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum? The San Diego Zoo or the Fort Worth Zoo? People don't really visit Texas. You can only go to Cowboys Stadium so many times.

Come to California and see Yosemite, Fisherman's Wharf, Wine Country, Lake Tahoe, Disneyland, Joshua Tree, Alcatraz, the Gaslamp Quarter and Sequoia National Park.

In the mood to see it all, hop in the car and take the Pacific Coast Highway in any direction.

No. 9 -- Big States Don't Cry

When political life gets tough, we call emergency legislative sessions. We make tough cuts. If things are going south, we hold a recall election. Make fun of budget woes if you must, but we'll get through it -- and we'll do it with dignity.

When things get tough in Texas, Gov. Rick Perry throws a hissy fit and threatens to secede from the United States.

Grow up, Texas. Plus, Perry's just crying wolf.

No. 8 -- Our Waistlines Are Under Control

Everything in Texas is bigger -- including Texans.

When it comes to 2008 state obesity rates, Texas scored a 28.3. California scored 23.7.

Dear Texas, call us when your pants fit.

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach

Texas has a few beaches, sure. (We know, we know, 600 miles of shoreline.) But there's a reason we're famous for ours and they're not famous for theirs. The California coastline is host to the most beautiful beaches in the country. Dare we say it -- the world.

Plus, our best beaches are generally a short drive from where people actually live (think La Jolla, Malibu, Santa Barbara, Half Moon Bay). Texas' biggest claim to beach fame is probably South Padre Island, and while it is admittedly quite lovely, it's also a major spring break destination (yuck) and really difficult to get to.

No. 6 -- World's Toughest Governor

Despite Texas being the land of unadulterated machismo, our governor can beat up your governor. So, there.

No. 5 -- We Have Options

Californians have options. Getting bored of San Diego? Drive an hour and try Mexico. Got a case of the Sacramento blues, you're just moments away from Lake Tahoe.

Los Angeles not doing it for you? Within an hour's drive, Angelenos can hit mountains, the Pacific, or perhaps the desert. Not in the mood for those options? Extend your driving time and make a break for Vegas.

Oh, sweet Vegas. Seriously, Texas. Our neighbor is Las Vegas. Your neighbor: Oklahoma.

No. 4 -- Plenty of Eye Candy

Texans have gun racks. We've got guns. And racks.

We're hot, we know it and just in case, there are enough plastic surgeons here for every Californian to look gorgeous.

And if cosmetic surgery isn't your thing -- don't worry -- we have plenty of therapists too.

No. 3 -- We Actually Invent Stuff

Yes, Texas is enticing businesses away from California to its land of fewer tax headaches, but send us a telegram when Texas invents something.

Sure, it makes financial sense to set up shop in Texas, but the ********* State will always live in our innovation shadow. Google can put its headquarters anywhere in the world -- they put it in California. Apple, HP, Twitter, Intel, YouTube, MySpace, the Gap, eBay, Facebook, Levis -- companies that actually changed the way the world does business are in California.

We may not cut the best tax deals, but we have a lock on creativity.

We make movies, music, theatre and television. Hell, we invented blue jeans.

No. 2 -- It's All About the Weather

Texas wins! But only in the number of tornadoes, with an average of about 140 per year. Words like "Mediterranean" and "I can't believe it's January" are used to describe California weather. If you like cold, we have mountains for that, too. Arid, humid and "I miss California" are terms often used to describe Texas' weather.

No. 1 -- California Isn't Home to George W. Bush

We gave the world Ronald Reagan, and you gave us George W. Bush.

Worst. Trade. Ever.

Despite our pretty convincing case, Texas doesn't seem to agree. Check out the ********* State's arguments for supremacy on NBCDFW.com.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Here is a few reasons why California trails the rest of the country:

San Francisco and Gavin Newsome
A state so far out there in their agendas are cancerous.

You may despise George Bush...
But you got:

Nancy Pelosi

And by the way..... I don't see a bankrupt Texas. What I do see is every tax payer in the land helping bail out California.

Whomever wrote that paradox is a float in Kool-Aid

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
Top 10 Reasons Wisconsin Is Better Than Everywhere Else

No. 10 -- People Don't Come Here

Where the hell is Wisconsin? Isn't it cold there? Who wants to go look at a bunch of cows and cheese?

No. 9 -- Big States Suffocate Under Their Own Weight

Wisconsin has been an industrious state since it's inception, with the largest number of machinists per capita. Unlike several of our neighbors, every last bit of arable land hasn't been bulldozed into subdivisions full of McMansions for John Q. Public to lose his ass on through the ARM he took out to buy the cookie cutter house.

No. 8 -- Our Waistlines Are Fine

You drink a thirdy case of beer every day, we'll see how you look der.

No. 7 -- Hit the Beach

Lake Michigan is cold. But that doesn't stop us from trout and salmon fishing. Or sailing.

No. 6 -- World's Greenest Governor

Has your state secured a sustainable, viable future with making international watershed pacts, protecting our most important resource, fresh water?

No. 5 -- We Have Options

Can't stand the city? Go north, young man. The farther you go, the more rural, and the more quiet, it gets.

No. 4 -- Plenty of Eye Candy

Get out of those filthy cities, and find yourself a few unmolested nature preserves and state parks. You don't have to go far.

No. 3 -- We Make the Worlds Best Beer

And it isn't Miller. Its the sleeper beers like Schlitz, Pabst, Huber Bock, Sand Creek, Sprecher, New Glarus, and so forth.

No. 2 -- It's All About the Weather

Where else in the world can you hit -40 and 105 in the same year? We enjoy ourselves no matter what... we did invent the snowmobile, after all.

No. 1 -- Wisconsin Isn't Home to anyone famous

Except for Ed Gein and Jeffrey Dahmer. :eek:

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Here is a few reasons why California trails the rest of the country:

San Francisco and Gavin Newsome
A state so far out there in their agendas are cancerous.

You may despise George Bush...
But you got:

Nancy Pelosi

And by the way..... I don't see a bankrupt Texas. What I do see is every tax payer in the land helping bail out California.

Whomever wrote that paradox is a float in Kool-Aid

Have to agree with you Judge. The "Peoples Republic of California" has many good qualities, but also has many issues, as follows: (i) Misguided (I'm being charitable) politicians (i.e., Nancy Pelosi, Harry Waxman, Maxine Waters, Barbara Boxer, and on and on.....); (ii) Ridiculous taxes that will eventually chase away business; (iii) Too many referendums that get nothing done (iv) Public school system that used to be Top Five and now is in the bottom third of the nation, (v) Leaky borders; and (vi) Earthquakes and mudslides.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
........The "Peoples Republic of California" has many good qualities, but also has many issues....... Public school system that used to be Top Five and now is in the bottom third of the nation........ Earthquakes and mudslides.
API scores in my town is well above the national average.

Los Altos School District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In case you don't know, Los Altos is one of the few cities that is red in california. Just look at the average home price.

Los Altos Real Estate Market – August 2009 Update | Silicon Valley Real Estate Info

Still pretty good for the following reasons:

• API scores near perfection
  • epi center of silicon valley
  • climate (write now it's 75F - no humidity)
Earthquakes? Last time it was anything news worthy was back in 1989. That's 20 years ago.

TX and other places get pummeled by more wraths of mother nature every year. Floods, Tornados, Hurricanes, and other extreme weather conditions.

I'm convinced that real estate prices really has more to do with climate than anything else.

Good climate attracts people that eventually attracts a talent pool where they create industry....

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
My middel daughter and her husband mover to Cali a few years ago. Cost them a pile of cash to convert their car so they could get plates on it, housing costs were through the roof, grocries were higher, everything costs more. That only lasted 3 months and they moved back to Wisconsin.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alot of people here that got in real estate prior to the Dot Com days are laughing about selling their homes around here and buying in places like WI and rolling in a Ferrari.......

·
Registered
738 Posts
Number One reason Every other state is better than cali......

87% of the population are NOT self-prentous *******s or jerks :) and srsly Cali has some of the dirties beaches.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Number One reason Every other state is better than cali......

87% of the population are NOT self-prentous *******s or jerks :) and srsly Cali has some of the dirties beaches.
This is exactly why I don't participate in such a thread. It starts out 'fun and games' or 'tongue-in-cheek' but always seem to end up moving in this kind of direction. Did you mean 'self-pretentious'? (note spelling). How is the figure '87%' derived? Dirtiest beaches? Based on what research? I understand it's 'The Lounge' but, come on! I'm definately not here to toot California's horn but, to me, name calling always casts dispersions on he/she who is doing it rather than that which is being referred to. Everyone is entitled to his opinion but keep it real. (Climbing down off of soap box with nothing more to say on this subject)

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
From my perspective, California seemed "normal enough", either that, or Milwaukee is just as crazy. Expensive as hell though, I remember paying $6 (when they were barely $3 in Wisconsin) for a pack of Marlboros in Palm Springs way back in 2003 yet.

Yeah, there was premadonna crap out there, but hey, I see that everywhere. Lots of guys have the blingy cars with the blingy spinner rims and the subs, and the dvds in the headrest, blah, blah...

The only thing I didn't enjoy about California was it was DRY. Of course, that was in the southern part... Frisco was pleasant.

·
Registered
738 Posts
This is exactly why I don't participate in such a thread. It starts out 'fun and games' or 'tongue-in-cheek' but always seem to end up moving in this kind of direction. Did you mean 'self-pretentious'? (note spelling). How is the figure '87%' derived? Dirtiest beaches? Based on what research? I understand it's 'The Lounge' but, come on! I'm definitely not here to toot California's horn but, to me, name calling always casts dispersions on he/she who is doing it rather than that which is being referred to. Everyone is entitled to his opinion but keep it real. (Climbing down off of soap box with nothing more to say on this subject)
I've been there, and sold tons of stuff on ebay. There was a valid reason i said what i said 87% seemed right but i will bump it down to 78% :). And the beach I went to was f'ing filthy. Now there are a few cool lax people like yourself and few bud's of mine BUT excluding you(because i don't know u personally) none of them were born there.

Not to mention it's damn HOT there

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I lived in California. IMO it definately earns the title a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

I was there in 2004. Ralph Nader got more votes than George Bush in San Luis Obispo. Can you say nutjobs????

SLO is proud of not having any large box stores and doesn't allow businesses like McDonalds to operate a drive thru. Can you say boy you just paid way too much for everything??? Can you say excessive government regulation???

Most of California is extremely hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

California is the only state that raises the withholdings on peoples personal income tax to give the state an interest free loan. That should be illegal, but in the land of Pelousy it's probably applauded.

9% state income tax.

If you didn't get yours in the 80's the housing market is untouchable and thanks to the Liberals welcoming illegals the wages are held down.

Plain and simple to many Liberals that believe the government knows how to run your life better than you do.

I'll take Texas, or Florida or any other state.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
I'm telling you guys, Wisconsin is the place to be. We drink, we smoke, we hunt, we fish, and we like our cheese and smoked meats. And so far, its only $75/year to register your car. Every town has at least, AT LEAST, three bars.

Another plus is that Great Lakes Dragway in Elm Grove has been out of the NHRA circuit for years, so it's pretty open for runs.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I'm telling you guys, Wisconsin is the place to be. We drink, we smoke, we hunt, we fish, and we like our cheese and smoked meats. And so far, its only $75/year to register your car. Every town has at least, AT LEAST, three bars.

Another plus is that Great Lakes Dragway in Elm Grove has been out of the NHRA circuit for years, so it's pretty open for runs.

Hmm, may have to think about Wisconsin.

Some views on California may not be welcome, but much of what was said above is fact, although some is said in humor and not intended to be factual. Listen to Fergy, he lived there and says many of the same things others, including me, said. Another fact -- I am a general partner in a firm that does business in California and I pay more taxes to California as a NON-resident than I pay in my home state of Connecticut. Figure that one out. Another fact -- the NY Times said today that there are 6.8 million uninsured people in the LA area and 1.4 million are illegal aliens (a mere 21%). No wonder my non-resident income taxes are so high. As Fergy said -California is a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there.

P.S. In order to not be accused of making up facts, the article referred to above is entitled "Congress Quarrels on Covering Immigrants" and appears in the Nov. 4, 2009 edition of The New York Times.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
This is exactly why I don't participate in such a thread. It starts out 'fun and games' or 'tongue-in-cheek' but always seem to end up moving in this kind of direction. Did you mean 'self-pretentious'? (note spelling).
Yet you still did..... And you're an english major... Glad I don't make mistakes...:lol:

ps. I belong to a boating forum too. This thread would have been closed a long time ago due to the back and forth banter. I'm glad this forum's moderator's are truely "moderate". After I'm on the "other forum" and come back to this one, it's like coming home......

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
LaCrosse has the most bars per capita, Wisconsin for the WIN! :cheers

I don't know Rukee. I went to college in upstate NY where I played hoops and we used to play against schools in Oneonta, NY. In the Early Seventies, two colleges with about 10,000 kids and 85 bars. Take that! Hopefully, that's not politicially incorrect.:lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts