Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
w00t!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6539111.stm

Great show. None better for we true gearheads.

But:

Good news:

It said the US show would be the same as the UK version,
Bad news:

...but focusing on American cars, such as Cadillacs.
WTF?

Who gives a frack about the increasingly irrelevant "American" cars, and WTF does that even mean anymore?

The BMW Z4 M-Coupes I'm looking at are built in South Carolina and have twice the US/Canada parts content of my Australian designed & built Monaro/GTO...

It's not a factor in my decision-making at all, but is the Bimmer an "American car" now? Why is the Holden an "American" car when somebody in Australia slaps an Australian-made P-P-Pontiac badge on it?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
If a network like TLC or Discovery's picking it up, they're going to want American cars on it to draw the largest possible audience. Hopefully, they'll do some stuff like take the American Ford Focus and compare it to the European Ford Mondeo and show people just how bad the swill that's sold to us is.

As for the import/domestic car thing, about the only way you can classify them anymore is by where the manufacturer is located. Yes, BMW does have plants in the US and does by parts -- but their overall domestic presence is still pretty small compared to GM and Ford. Toyota's running ads saying how great they are for America -- yet they only employ 1/6th of the people GM does.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clarkson had a hilarious writeup on the Vauxhall Monaro VXR, BTW. He nailed it, too. If you can really fault what he says about the car, please collect your fanboi hat at the door.

Vauxhall Monaro VXR
It's back-breakingly marvellous

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article541835.ece

A couple of my faves:

The thing is, though, that the original Monaro was a little gem. Or to be more specific, a rough diamond. With a 5.7 litre V8, and 19th-century technology feeding all that torque to the road, it was a crude but devastatingly effective mile-muncher.

Think of it as an Aussie from the outback. Maybe he can’t quote Shakespeare. Maybe he’s never heard of Terence Conran. But he can smash all the teeth clean out of your mouth with a single punch.

My favourite part, however, and you’ll only really trip over this on a track, is the way it goes round corners. The angles of oversteer it can achieve, thanks mainly to its long wheelbase, are absolutely ludicrous, and if you keep your foot planted, so too is the volume of smoke from the back wheels. If you have the mental age of a six-year-old, and I have, you would never tire of sliding this massive car from bend to bend.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I lost all interest in the show when they went to Alabama. They seem like a bunch or arrogant brits. They did do some great skits on the Z06 and Vauxhaul/Monaro though.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I lost all interest in the show when they went to Alabama. They seem like a bunch or arrogant brits. They did do some great skits on the Z06 and Vauxhaul/Monaro though.
I saw that video. Umm, all the rednecks had to do was nothing, and it would have been stupid on their (top gear's) part. Oh, but noooo, you can't stop the redneck from coming out in a redneck.

Come on, if you saw a car that said Country Western is Rubbish, you would care? Or how about the car that said I'm Bi, that would get you worked up?

I don't know about you, but I'd laugh my a$$ off.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I saw that video. Umm, all the rednecks had to do was nothing, and it would have been stupid on their (top gear's) part. Oh, but noooo, you can't stop the redneck from coming out in a redneck.

Come on, if you saw a car that said Country Western is Rubbish, you would care? Or how about the car that said I'm Bi, that would get you worked up?

I don't know about you, but I'd laugh my a$$ off.
The thing is though, you go into any low-income, violent neighborhoods and talk trash about them..... what do you honestly expect to happen??!?!? a civilzed debate of the virtues of country music?!?! it was kind of funny but also just stupid at the same time. like I said before it would have been the same thing if they went to a black neighborhood with "I hate n*gg***" written on their cars. Would the results be amusing? maybe, but I'm an @$$hole and would laugh at someone getting beaten for their stupidity. Is it still stupid? Yes. JMO, though.

·
Registered
944 Posts
it would have been the same thing if they went to a black neighborhood with "I hate n*gg***" written on their cars.
You're arguing a car displaying a racial attack equates to a car with NASCAR SUCKS written on it - that's nowhere near valid. Maybe saying RAP sucks or BET's crap would be a better comparison.

As far as low income, those guys must have driven tens of highway miles before and after they stopped at that gas station. I wouldn't call the areas I saw low income.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You're arguing a car displaying a racial attack equates to a car with NASCAR SUCKS written on it - that's nowhere near valid. Maybe saying RAP sucks or BET's crap would be a better comparison.

As far as low income, those guys must have driven tens of highway miles before and after they stopped at that gas station. I wouldn't call the areas I saw low income.
OK. I concede on that. It was an exaggerated analogy. But it still remains that they were insulting the people there in some degree, but I knew the outcome way before they decided to stop at the gas station. I still laughed when the hill billy gang came out in the pick-up truck to whoop some @$$, but that doesn't change that it was just plain dumb on their part. ( I still laughed at them though. *AT THEM NOT WITH THEM :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts