Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wouldn't bet the farm on that one. Those guys (Top Gear) are about as believable as O.J. :rolleyes:
Seemed like a believable race to me. Why would the guy in the Lambroghini hold back? He spun out trying to stay ahead of the Evo.

And what's with the 400 hp, 0 to 60 in 3+ seconds, I thought the Evos were 300 hp and 5 second 0 to 60. Are the ones sent to America de-tuned?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Seemed like a believable race to me. Why would the guy in the Lambroghini hold back? He spun out trying to stay ahead of the Evo.

And what's with the 400 hp, 0 to 60 in 3+ seconds, I thought the Evos were 300 hp and 5 second 0 to 60. Are the ones sent to America de-tuned?
I'm not saying it isn't possible, just that it would be more believable if it wasn't "Top Gear" doing the testing. They like to "stretch" the truth a lot.

That's a special EVO, the FOQ or FQ400. It's a tuner version that's only sold in the UK. Hence the reason for my skepticism, the tuner company on this car is in the UK as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I believe it... when I had my Evo I used to hang with Porsches, Z06s, etc etc in turns on offramps... but then once we hit the straights it was all over.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The FQ400 has a HUGE turbo that takes forever to spool up. There is more to this than what we saw here. Afterwards he takes it up against a cheap slow car and gets beat in a 30mph roll race starting in top gear (if memory serves me correctly), and they run out of runway before the turbo even gets spooling enough to add a significant amount of power to overtake the other car. It's a hell of a car, but just so long as you can keep the revs up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In other countries in the world you can get different versions of the Evo they make the evo 8. Production car in europe you just can't get it here in america. More specifically think of it as a Rally art version of the evo. just not a ralliart lancer.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
It behaves like a rally car because it is a rally car. Not something for public roads. It's still a cheap & noisy EVO platform. The turbo lag is apparently a real concern at anything less than 9/10ths. The ride was characterized as a leg breaker. In order to handle the top end power of the turbo they installed a clutch that stalls the little 2.0L no torque bugger at any normal launch speed. And the looks ..... gag, wretch, puke. It's not something I'd ever want to own. But if I could rent one for an afternoon at a track. Hmmmmm...........lotsa fun.

I just don't know who would want one as anything other than a garage queen / Sunday driver. Still, it's quite an achievement technically.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Evo is so easy to play with and swap parts on. I had one for 2 years before taking it back to stock and trading it in for my H3. Now I'm looking for a new black/black 6.0 manual GTO (kinda hard to find around here now). Here was my dyno, many mods but was still on the stock '04 turbo...

With the stock turbo, I only had turbo-lag until around 2500 RPM. After owning one it's not too hard to believe that it could easily hang with any car out there in the twisties...it just doesn't have the balls up top unless you beef up the turbo (and stroke it to help on the lower end).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts