Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
qonoximiento said:
I read that its top speed is 160...has anybody tested this fact? I reached 140....then slowed down...too many troopers in Jersey!
I've read, 162, 165 and 169 :confused

·
Registered
212 Posts
I ran the car a couple times soo far to it's top speed, or so I thought.

I believe I was at 159 but couldn't really tell... I wasn't paying too close attention, the car is a handful going that fast. It's really really loose. My old honda was more stable at 155mph than this car is at 125. Just the more reason to start adding money into the suspension of the car!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thats strange, I've had mine over 150 several times and have found it to be an amazingly smooth ride. Once I even had a minivan pull out in front of me when I was making a 150 run. Of course, I was on top of them in about 3 seconds and succesfully passed them at about 140mph no problem. To bad I couldn't see the look on their faces as a black lightning bolt shot past them. :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
Whiteshadow said:
I ran the car a couple times soo far to it's top speed, or so I thought.

I believe I was at 159 but couldn't really tell... I wasn't paying too close attention, the car is a handful going that fast. It's really really loose. My old honda was more stable at 155mph than this car is at 125. Just the more reason to start adding money into the suspension of the car!
155 mph honda :confused wow.

i've had the GTO up to 145 and found it smooth, quiet, and almost no buffeting.

i'm comparing it to my 02 SS Camaro, on stock supsension and there was a lot of air underneath the car, i ran that car 155 at times

·
Registered
212 Posts
westell said:
155 mph honda :confused wow.

i've had the GTO up to 145 and found it smooth, quiet, and almost no buffeting.

i'm comparing it to my 02 SS Camaro, on stock supsension and there was a lot of air underneath the car, i ran that car 155 at times
I had a lot of money wrapped up in the motor of the car, and beat the piss out of it almost every day. I didn't rice the car out with wings, body kits, or ridiculous tv's and all that crap. I just spent my money on the motor and suspension.

It was quite fun going real fast in that... 9600rpms in fifth gear for a few miles at a time! I'm very suprised the motor never popped on me. I built it to last, but damn I beat on that thing!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've had mine up to 135 but found out very quickly the wheels needed to be re-balanced. I have the aftermarket rims from GMPartsDirect.com. I don't think the dealer did a good job of balancing them. Had a friend re-balance them for me. Much smoother now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have'nt run mine up that much yet. I guess no factory speed limiter ? In my SS it's set at 109 factory.
Also had to do a "Road Force" balance

·
Registered
98 Posts
05GTO,
Your "theoretical" calculater may be correct if you could pull redline in top gear. However, the new 2005 Corvette with 400HP a more slippery shape and less WEIGHT is not limited. It will reach 186 MPH. The GTO 04 or 05 will not make 186 MPH. It takes tremendous amounts of HP to get to 200MPH in a CAR.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
GTO TOO said:
05GTO,
Your "theoretical" calculater may be correct if you could pull redline in top gear. However, the new 2005 Corvette with 400HP a more slippery shape and less WEIGHT is not limited. It will reach 186 MPH. The GTO 04 or 05 will not make 186 MPH. It takes tremendous amounts of HP to get to 200MPH in a CAR.
Actually, it's ultimategto's "theoretical" calculater, the calculator does not factor in wind resistance and I agree with your statement, " GTO 04 or 05 will not make 186 MPH." I haven't heard of anyone topping 160 in the 04 GTO.

·
Registered
353 Posts
SO the 05 GTO is limited to 155 also. Is there a way to limit the speed limiter and also i saw somewhere where the 05 would do 175mph.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts