Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
From what I was told, by the guy who dyno tuned my car, torque management is there to protect your drivetrain and driveline components from taking a beating when you're getting on it pretty hard with traction control off. Supposedly, it is more noticeable in the autos than the manuals. Having it totally removed won't make that big of a difference in ET's for street applications. But for heavily modded, high horsepower engines used mainly for drag racing, having it taken off will aid in the every-little-bit-counts aspect of racing.

Maybe there's another explanation out there but that's what I was told.

As far as how the computer manages it, I didn't ask that. But I think that it's probably controlled the same way traction control is. Just at a lesser rate.

·
Registered
556 Posts
:agree

Well, I'm no engineer, but I believe TM is designed to reduce the amount of abuse the drive train receives during very aggresive acceleration. In otherwords, the ECU will back off on the electronically controled throttle and/or take some timing out between upshifts. After a brief delay, the power will be restored to "full throttle" status. Anyone else wanna chime in?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I drive my 6-speed a bit of "aggression" shall we say, and can tell you that my balls are occasionally squeezed in check by more than the traction control. Only drove an autmatic during test drive so cannot speak on that setup. It is definitely noticeable even in the manual

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hmmm...so would it really hurt anything to turn it off??:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
do what ya want with it its warrantied til 36k miles but if you are worried then dont do it...
but i only have done this when racing another car. i havent been to the track with it yet, but i also didnt buy this car to baby it because once the warranty is up im modding the hell out of it anyway :willy:

:party:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have read that both the autos and manuals have something called an "anti-wheelhop algorithm". Now whether this is part of the torque management system, I don't know, but it seems likely. I don't know anything more specific about this algorithm.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
05 goatman said:
do what ya want with it its warrantied til 36k miles but if you are worried then dont do it...
but i only have done this when racing another car. i havent been to the track with it yet, but i also didnt buy this car to baby it because once the warranty is up im modding the hell out of it anyway :willy:

:party:
I seriously doubt if GM will cover a damaged drivetrain after they figure out that the torque management that THEY put on your car to protect it was removed. Maybe I'm wrong but that is hard to believe.

·
Registered
228 Posts
is the power increase noticeable on the street if you don't take it to the track or only when you are trying to squeeze out that "hundredth-of-a-second-faster-in-the-quater-mile" time?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.