Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just curious to see how many miles most owners have on their cars. i am at 11,500. i have a feeling i am at the upper end of the range. i also reset my electric oil life schedule when i put synthetic in it at 2000. by 9000 i was too nervous to keep going, so i changed the oil anyway and left the computer. well, it finally came on yesterday. freaked me out. i thought it meant i had a problem like low oil or something. anyway, that would be over 9000 miles on the same oil. doens't that seem a bit much? there were two tirps from seattle to montana, but still, a good bit of it was city driving. i just don't think i'll follow the computers schedule, but am open to the opinions on this board. thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have 6500 or so since mid Sept. I am not sure when it is appropriate to change to synthetic oil or what the change interval should be. Did you change filters in between oill changes.?
Even though I live in Indiana I listen to KEXP radio on my computer. I wish I had moved to Seattle instead of here :rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got about 9200 miles on mine. I changed the oil at 4900, but did not reset the oil life monitor. It still has not tripped yet.

Most of my driving is highway use, but in heavy Los Angeles traffic. I agree, this seems like a long time between oil changes, since the normal oil is not synthetic.

Frankly, I think it's fine to follow the oil life monitor. GM doesn't purposely lengthen service intervals without good reason. Nonetheless, I generally change my oil at 5000 miles. Just a little retentive, I guess.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
15,800 miles.

n00bs. :D

Last oil change I put Mobil One in it at 9000 miles...it still looks fresh and clean. She leaks or burns nary a drop. Every 3k mile before then was regular "mineral" oil. Will change it again this weekend...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
seattle

Don said:
I have 6500 or so since mid Sept. I am not sure when it is appropriate to change to synthetic oil or what the change interval should be. Did you change filters in between oill changes.?
Even though I live in Indiana I listen to KEXP radio on my computer. I wish I had moved to Seattle instead of here :rolleyes:

hey don. yeah, seattle is an awesome place. i moved up here from utah last year just cuz i love it here so much. lots of people here listen to kexp. i personally love kgrg. it's one of the few punk stations in the country. it's out of green river community college. you can stream it on your computer at kgrg.com, if you want to venture into the punk world for a moment. :D if you ever do want to move here, we could definitely tolerate some more gto owners. i've only seen 4 over the last 5 months! at least my car is a bit of a novelty around here.

·
Registered
161 Posts
7700 miles on the M6. Changed to Red Line synthetic at 1500 and also changed the differential lubricant to an Amsoil synthetic. The wifes A4 only has 1100 miles. At 1500 will change to Red Line and Amsoil (differential and transmission). I go 7500 in between oil changes with the synthetic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.