Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a '02 GT Mustang Conv. For my next car I have come down to two choices, the '05 GTO and the '03/04 Cobra. I wanna get you guys opinion on both cars personally as well as the positives and negatives of both. Throw the styling issue of the GTO out the window because I don't mind that.

Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
It's hard to beat the exclusivity of the Goat. You won't see yourself driving down the road every 10 min. Plus the GTO is a sleeper, you can just about blow the doors off anything you want to and they won't know what hit them. The only Stang I'd consider would be the new GT500 that's coming but it screams for attention. The only negatives would be a lack of aftermarket support for the LS2 as it's so new. Build quality, especially the interior is on par with much more expensive European makes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ftlfirefighter said:
It's hard to beat the exclusivity of the Goat. You won't see yourself driving down the road every 10 min. Plus the GTO is a sleeper, you can just about blow the doors off anything you want to and they won't know what hit them. The only Stang I'd consider would be the new GT500 that's coming but it screams for attention. The only negatives would be a lack of aftermarket support for the LS2 as it's so new. Build quality, especially the interior is on par with much more expensive European makes.
I agree with you especially about the GTO being exclusive. That's probably the biggest issue for me when it comes to the '03/04 Cobra. It looks too much like the body style of my '02 GT and I see at least 10 stangs a day. I would love to know what's it's like to own a car with an LS engine on a daily basis. I'm leaning toward the GTO but I need more opinions.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
ftlfirefighter said:
:agree

·
Registered
156 Posts
Basically, if you wanna go really fast really cheap... but feel like you are in a really fast really cheap car, get a Cobra. If you don't mind planting your butt on the Pleather and Fuede seats that is.

Now if you wanna go a little bit slower, but do it in a much nicer vehicle (and don't like hearing WWWWEEEEEEEEE everytime you mash the gas) get a GTO.

So the question is, is the car gonna be a racer or a cruiser?

And plus if you want to mod the GTO, there are plenty of parts for it. Heads, cams, longtubes. That right there is 450 wheel hp. Now true, it only takes exhaust and pulley to get that from a Cobra, but the GTO sounds alot cooler hahaha.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would go with the GTO. I have been looking for a 4 seater sports car, and the Cobra really never even came into mind. The same reason, too many of them. Also, I do not like the quality of them or the problems associated with them.

Cobra does come in a Vert though. So that's could be a bonus if that's what you are looking for.

Either way, I think you'll be happy. Personally, I will be happier with a GTO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
slonlo_350 said:
Basically, if you wanna go really fast really cheap... but feel like you are in a really fast really cheap car, get a Cobra. If you don't mind planting your but on the Pleather and Fuede seats that is.

Now if you wanna go a little bit slower, but do it in a much nicer vehicle (and don't like hearing WWWWEEEEEEEEE everytime you mash the gas) get a GTO.

So the question is, is the car gonna be a racer or a cruiser?

And plus if you want to mod the GTO, there are plenty of parts for it. Heads, cams, longtubes. That right there is 450 wheel hp. Now true, it only takes exhaust and pulley to get that from a Cobra, but the GTO sounds alot cooler hahaha.
You're on the money here, Terminators are incredible cars if you're planning to add mods and going fast is what you're into. They can make staggering power (500+ rwhp) with less than $3K in mods.

I had an '03 convertible for about 18 months. I loved the look of the car, the blower whine, and the fact that it was inexpensive to maintain. That said, I could never get used to the fact that the car rattled like crazy over even slightly bumpy roads, the interior and ergonomics were mediocre at best, and the overall build quality was inexcusable for a car that stickered new for $41K. And at 6'3", the car just wasn't very comfortable for me.

I personally keep my cars stock or mostly stock for warranty and resale purposes. I found it difficult to do that with the Cobra because those cars have so many things that need to be corrected as they come from the factory. Case in point, my car suffered from terrible wheelhop, to the point where I couldn't give it more that about 80% throttle in 1st without the car feeling like it was going to shake itself to pieces. Sure that can be reduced, but you're into a bunch of suspension mods and a set of drag radials to get there (which creates a whole different set of issues). After lots of debate I finally sold it, as I wasn't happy with the car as it was and didn't want to go down the path of having to spend a bunch of money on mods that I knew I would never get back when I moved on to something else.

Having driven an '05 Goat I can say that I wish I had known that these cars were going to get the LS2 and cosmetic changes when I bought the Snake. I would have definitely waited.

So if pure speed is what you want and you plan to race and modify the car, the Cobra is for you. They're faster (albiet very marginally) in stock form, and that difference increases with mods. If you want a comfortable daily driver/weekend cruiser that sounds great and goes like hell, the Goat is probably a better bet.

I'd drive both and see what appeals to you, even though these cars are aimed at a similar market they have completely different personalities.

Also, if you're looking at Cobras, keep in mind that many of them have been driven *very* hard. I'd try to find one that hasn't been pullied and has been kept in good shape, even if you have to pay a bit more for it. And keep in mind that you're going to get a biased perspective here. I'd do some reading over at SVTPerformance.com, you can learn a lot about Terminators over there.

Good luck with the decision :cheers

·
Registered
163 Posts
I love both of those cars. I would have to say a vert cobra would give make me lose sleep trying to decide between the two. Since those cobras are blown and have a 6 speed w/ a vert I would be very tempted. That being said, I bought a GTO. I love it and it is much more practical, there are actually usable rear seats which is nice in my situation since I have a 3 year old I need to drive around a lot. As was stated before, there are not many GTOs out there. Plus you can get a new GTO vs a used Cobra.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Straight ahead speed? The Cobra with mods. Speed and handling? The GTO. Interior design and comfort? GTO. Build quality? GTO. Upside potential? GTO.

The bones of the Cobra are based on the 1970-something Ford Fairmont. It flexes like a kiddie sled in corners (turn it hard enough at speed -- and the dashboard actually lifts up toward the windshield -- surprised the doors don't pop open like a Triumph TR-7s). The interior design and materials are awful. The seats? Terrible.

If you want to blow away idiots at traffic lights -- get the Cobra. If you want a great car -- get the GTO. You'll still pound 90% of the folks you come up against -- even more if you've got good R/Ts and can drive. Why punish yourself with a crappy car all the time just for a little more acceleration that you'll hardly ever use?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Straight ahead speed? The Cobra with mods. Speed and handling? The GTO. Interior design and comfort? GTO. Build quality? GTO. Upside potential? GTO.

The bones of the Cobra are based on the 1970-something Ford Fairmont. It flexes like a kiddie sled in corners (turn it hard enough at speed -- and the dashboard actually lifts up toward the windshield -- surprised the doors don't pop open like a Triumph TR-7s). The interior design and materials are awful. The seats? Terrible.

If you want to blow away idiots at traffic lights -- get the Cobra. If you want a great car -- get the GTO. You'll still pound 90% of the folks you come up against -- even more if you've got good R/Ts and can drive. Why punish yourself with a crappy car all the time just for a little more acceleration that you'll hardly ever use?

:agree

·
Registered
76 Posts
i was having the same problem about a year ago. was all set to buy a cobra but the dealer was being rough with the sticker. i stopped into a pontiac dealer monday night..test drove it tuesday morning and drove home that night. the raw power of the cobra is incredible, that and like it was said before for about 3,500 it will 575hp.
but the build quality of the gto is awesome. i bought mine alone for the interior. rear seats that you actually use. and if you have to put car seats in.
i trader in a harris motorsports gtr mustang for the goat and have no regrets.
the overall quality and comfort is hard to beat and once it gets back from having the turbo installed it will hold it's own on most streets

·
Registered
156 Posts
That is great advice. Drive both and make a decision based on that. But I have a GTO now and still have yet to even sit in one (going to pick it up tomorrow though). BUT I am dumb. Cobras are nice cars, they just appeal to different tastes. Like those who say I have an oversized rear drive Cavalier...well maybe they would rather drive a Fairmont with IRS
. ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
NT91 said:
Get the Mustang Cobra.. it looks so much better. If you have kids get the GTO...
Why are you even on this forum if you think the Cobra looks so much better. I can help you find the Cobra forum if you want. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
NT91 said:
Get the Mustang Cobra.. it looks so much better. If you have kids get the GTO...
Someone help this poor lost soul. Maybe if we each send him a dollar he will be able to buy enough clues to find his way to a Cobra forum.

Honestly NT91 I have yet to hear you say anything nice about the GTO. We give Cobras and Mustangs props where they are due. If all you're here to do is flame, go elsewhere. Try www.mustanginmymirror.com.Thats the most common place to find your kind.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I too looked at the C6, Cobra and GTO. I agree with most post here, but I can tell you after driving a 2004 Cobra.... they do handle very very well. With my sway bar set-up I handle just as good as the Cobra for very little money. The Cobra is et-up as a "Street Legal Racer" in my opinion and you can tell when you drive it. That said, the fit and finish just isn't there. If I am going to spend that kind of money on a car, I want better quality than that of a GEO. Look and drive both and you will see what I mean.

The Cobra is a hell of a fun car to drive and commands respect. The GTO on the other hand is also a hell of a fun car to drive, yet is somewhat "anonymous"... and most people have no idea what blew by them when I hit the gas.

I am sure you would be happy with both for the first year or so, but after 5 years when your payments are over I will bet that the GTO will still be in much better condition.

Good luck!

·
Registered
170 Posts
It all comes down to what you like.

If the Cobra is NOT a vert, I wouldn't consider one. Just too poor quality, and too many on the road, as well as the other 2 million Stangs out there. But that's just me.

Either way you'll be getting a new ride that's alot of fun :cheers

·
Registered
229 Posts
fergyflyer said:
Someone help this poor lost soul. Maybe if we each send him a dollar he will be able to buy enough clues to find his way to a Cobra forum.

Honestly NT91 I have yet to hear you say anything nice about the GTO. We give Cobras and Mustangs props where they are due. If all you're here to do is flame, go elsewhere. Try www.mustanginmymirror.com.Thats the most common place to find your kind.
The GTO is much nicer inside.. but it does not look as good as the 2000-2004 mustangs. I do not like the looks of the 2005 stangs. I think the 03-04 Mach 1 looks better than the Cobras.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.