Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home from work today and pulled up next to a Supra. It had the tall ass wing on the back like the sti's and evo's got. It was the first time I'd seen one. My buddy at work with the Lingenfelter Vette warned me about these cars, said that they can even take Vettes out. This one had a turbo badge on the back, I'm guessing they're all turbo charged? What makes this car so badass anyways? There was a cop 2 lanes over to the right about 200 yards ahead with my fuzzbuster screaming to beat hell and back so we didn't get to "play"...:(

·
Registered
208 Posts
They are not all turbo charged but the ones that are and are set up correctly are making 700+rwhp. Obviously that is upgraded turbos, etc. There are even some that are making 1000+rwhp. Usually with that high rwhp, they are running around 30psi or more of boost.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Stock they are fairly quick too. They run low 14's stock. With mild mods they are an easy low 13 high 12's car.

They're like the Mustang 5.0. You never know what the guy is running till it's too late. It's a good car to be careful with.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just watch out, I have seen many supras pulled on 500+ hp Cobras and Vettes. A twin turbo modified supra only weighing in at 3400 pounds including the driver is no joke. Also watch out for the non-turbo supras. There engines have higher compression than the twin turbo ones, so people have been bolting on single turbo kits and can easily make 500hp+ with just a single turbo kit. Hope this info helps anyone out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Stock they are fairly quick too. They run low 14's stock. With mild mods they are an easy low 13 high 12's car.

They're like the Mustang 5.0. You never know what the guy is running till it's too late. It's a good car to be careful with.
"Supras are like a box of chocolates...ya never know what you're gonna git"

And for the record, if they're running low 14's stock, then the driver sucks.
It's pretty effortless to get low 13's in this car STOCK.

No...mine is not stock, but when I first got it it was BONE stock, and it ran mid 13's all day.
Auto tranny to boot!
:lol:

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Can't understand why Toyota stopped making a car to showcase their technology and give the brand some sex appeal. They have successfully edged out Oldsmobile for the title of worlds most boring lineup.

Baffling. :confused

·
Registered
199 Posts
I beat a supra once, but it was non-turbo one, and I was in my Altima ... walked him pretty good, too. I was pretty happy with myself, till I found out that a stock supra (non turbo) did 15's in the quarter ...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can't understand why Toyota stopped making a car to showcase their technology and give the brand some sex appeal. They have successfully edged out Oldsmobile for the title of worlds most boring lineup.

Baffling. :confused
Agreed.

Although I thought the '99-'04 Celica GT-S was a pretty nimble and fun albeit underpowered little car.

I am pretty sure Toyota has plans in the future to release a follow-up for a high end sports car to replace the Supra MKIV as the halo car in their lineup.

Problem is, no one will be able to afford it...and it will fade away again, for the same reason the MKIV did.

Only way I could afford mine, was to buy it 15 years later!
rofl.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Agreed.

Although I thought the '99-'04 Celica GT-S was a pretty nimble and fun albeit underpowered little car.

I am pretty sure Toyota has plans in the future to release a follow-up for a high end sports car to replace the Supra MKIV as the halo car in their lineup.

Problem is, no one will be able to afford it...and it will fade away again, for the same reason the MKIV did.

Only way I could afford mine, was to buy it 15 years later!
rofl.
i still can't afford one 15 years later:lol:

·
Registered
377 Posts
The MKIV didn't fade away. Toyota didn't want to keep engineering the car to pass emissions and they were not satisfied with the sales in the coupe market. If I remember correctly, a '98 Supra could not be sold new in California due to emissions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts