Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a guy with a new Toyota Tundra with my F-150. I've got the 5.4L and it's got the 3.73 rear end. My truck is a regular cab 2wd, the truck i ran was a 4wd 4dr extended cab. I figured my weight difference from not having the extended cab and the 4wd would equal things up. Wrongo!!!! As much as I dislike Toyota, those Tundra's are quick.

It was a 20-75 run and by that point he had 3 truck lengths on me and was pulling pretty good. He stepped down so I mashed it. He had only gone most of the way into it, and when I mashed it he planted his foot, so it wasn't a clean start. No matter how you look at it though the Ford didn't have the grunt to get the Toyota.

As a comparison I played with a guy I work with's Dodge Hemi 2wd extended cab and we are just about equal. It's a seesaw race between those two. Remeber my truck is a bunch lighter with no extended cab.

I'd say that Toyota is definately the fastest truck out there till you get into specialty stuff. Still wouldn't buy one though with all the problems Toyota is having right now.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Those Ford modular/Romeo engines stink. The 5.0 was far better than the 4.6 that replaced it. With both the 4.6 and 5.4, you have to rev the crap out of them before you hit peak horsepower and torque. Think of any 4.6 or 5.4 powered car that does anything without a supercharger. Exactly.

Wonder how that Tundra would do against a couple of the larger Vortecs...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say the Tundra is Toyota's fastest vehicle on the market currently. It's sad, that a truck is your company's performance leader.........

·
Registered
199 Posts
HMMM Fergie, ya got me thinkin ... what kind of bolt-on's are available for a 4.9L straight 6? I've got an 89 F150 /300 ci straight 6 ... it's got quite a bit of torque as it is ... but I can't break the back end loose .... yet ... I've got just shy of 94K miles on her ... so it's just broke in. and yes, I've had the front end rebuilt once so far ... ;)

·
Registered
730 Posts
there is the trd performance stuff for the toyotas which makes them even nicer to own although recalls stink. the ford modular engines don't have what it takes to make them performers as ba says without FI. now with FI they can become pretty nice motors. the 5.0 should have been updated so it doesn't split when it sees 500 hp. good to see someone felt like there was some competition out there even with the escalating gas prices :cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, I saw a video of one doing low 14's in the quarter stock. Not bad for a heavy truck. :cheers

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say the Tundra is Toyota's fastest vehicle on the market currently. It's sad, that a truck is your company's performance leader.........
The Lexus sedans are likely the performance leaders for Toyota. The IS350 has a V6 six with over 300HP in a small package. I'd bet the suspension would feel familiar to a mid-nineties Buick owner though.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Lexus sedans are likely the performance leaders for Toyota. The IS350 has a V6 six with over 300HP in a small package. I'd bet the suspension would feel familiar to a mid-nineties Buick owner though.
Funny you should say that. My brother bought the Avalon he has for his wife. Her parents drive Buicks and she doesn't want to have the same car as her parents so she always drove Oldsmobiles. When Olds went away she wanted something that felt like a Buick or Olds but wasn't her fathers Buick. They bought an Avalon and she loved it. I bet it makes it back to the dealer for service work just as fast as the Tundra does too. LOL

·
Registered
289 Posts

And the new IS350's actually have a really sharp, sporty suspension setup. The IS's aren't made to be kuxury coddlers. They're much more sport orientated. Kinda Lexus' answer to BMW's 3 Series.

And BTW, the new Lexus IS-F has a 400+hp 5.0 V8.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Those Ford modular/Romeo engines stink. The 5.0 was far better than the 4.6 that replaced it. With both the 4.6 and 5.4, you have to rev the crap out of them before you hit peak horsepower and torque. Think of any 4.6 or 5.4 powered car that does anything without a supercharger. Exactly.

Wonder how that Tundra would do against a couple of the larger Vortecs...

The Cobra R had a 385hp NA variant of the 32v 5.4. That car was badass.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Cobra R had a 385hp NA variant of the 32v 5.4. That car was badass.
That is a very peaky motor with no torque. Typical of Fords less efficient OHC design.

Compare that motor with the LS6. The LS6 is only .3 liters larger. The exterior dimmensions of the LS motor are smaller. The LS motor weighs less. It makes way more torque and it makes it's hp and torque at lower rpms so it is more usable than the 5.4 Ford motor. Just goes to show that the pushrod motor is still a viable powertrain and a poor design is hard to overcome. Lets face it, Ford was more concerned with production costs than power output when it designed the Modular motors.
The LS motors are lighter, simpler, cheaper to produce and more efficient than the Ford modular motors. What B A is saying is, Ford would have been money ahead to focus on a redesign of the Windsor motor than to do what it did.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
And the new IS350's actually have a really sharp, sporty suspension setup. The IS's aren't made to be kuxury coddlers. They're much more sport orientated. Kinda Lexus' answer to BMW's 3 Series.

And BTW, the new Lexus IS-F has a 400+hp 5.0 V8.
I've never driven an IS350 or even ridden in one. I was making gross generalizations about Toyota product based solely on their generally bland styling and their seeming desire to design for the "middle of the road" with every single platform. If they've broken that rule with the Lexus models, good for them.

I realize it's good business to go with what the majority of people will buy. But, I believe it's also true that at least one halo car can help sell the technology of a brand. C'mon Toyota, not even one fun car? MR2? Supra?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've never driven an IS350 or even ridden in one. I was making gross generalizations about Toyota product based solely on their generally bland styling and their seeming desire to design for the "middle of the road" with every single platform. If they've broken that rule with the Lexus models, good for them.

I realize it's good business to go with what the majority of people will buy. But, I believe it's also true that at least one halo car can help sell the technology of a brand. C'mon Toyota, not even one fun car? MR2? Supra?
Perhaps if you actually drove the cars before offering an opinion. Standing on the gas pedal on the highway doesn't count.
i don't do lexus myself. :lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I recently bought a '07 classic with a LBZ Duramax in it and was really impressed with the power (650 ftlbs @ 1600 rpm and 360 hp) even though it is a crew cab dually. I got on some Duramax forums they claim it takes a Lightning or a HD F150 to hang with a 2500 4x4 w/ a LBZ in it. And a $300 Predetor tune set at 120 hp takes care of them. They take great pride in wasting Tundras and Titans. I just watched a clip of a stock looking Silverado crew cab 4x4 run a 9.84 on Sun Coast Transmission's web site. These new diesels are awsome.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That is a very peaky motor with no torque. Typical of Fords less efficient OHC design.

Compare that motor with the LS6. The LS6 is only .3 liters larger. The exterior dimmensions of the LS motor are smaller. The LS motor weighs less. It makes way more torque and it makes it's hp and torque at lower rpms so it is more usable than the 5.4 Ford motor. Just goes to show that the pushrod motor is still a viable powertrain and a poor design is hard to overcome. Lets face it, Ford was more concerned with production costs than power output when it designed the Modular motors.
The LS motors are lighter, simpler, cheaper to produce and more efficient than the Ford modular motors. What B A is saying is, Ford would have been money ahead to focus on a redesign of the Windsor motor than to do what it did.

Dude, I'm not saying the motor was the greatest thing since sliced-bread. I was just using it as an example. I wouldn't exactly call it peaky and say it has no torque, but to each their own. I know the LS6 is a better engine, but the discussion at hand wasn't about the LS6. And although is kinda straying away a bit, you cannot even talk bad about the '03-'04 SVT Cobra, better known as the Terminator.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dude, I'm not saying the motor was the greatest thing since sliced-bread. I was just using it as an example. I wouldn't exactly call it peaky and say it has no torque, but to each their own. I know the LS6 is a better engine, but the discussion at hand wasn't about the LS6. And although is kinda straying away a bit, you cannot even talk bad about the '03-'04 SVT Cobra, better known as the Terminator.
Your right back to my point. The only way to get decent performance from the Modular V8's that Ford builds is to use FI. They don't flow very well without help.

They do respond very nicely to FI though and they hold up well. I guess part of the problem is the OHC design too.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Your right back to my point. The only way to get decent performance from the Modular V8's that Ford builds is to use FI. They don't flow very well without help.

They do respond very nicely to FI though and they hold up well. I guess part of the problem is the OHC design too.

I agree w/ you to an extent. The 2v's found in the New Edge (99-04) GT's have fairly restrictive heads that don't flow well. The 4v setup found in the 99-01 Cobra's and '03-04 Mach 1's, however, are MUCH better. They're capable of low 13's from the factory, and respond to bolt-ons quite well. The new 3v's in the S197 GT's are also pretty good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hmm toyotas "supposed" to be putting out a new supra around 2010..something like 400 or 500 hp....idk rumor..it was on a website i saw awhile ago..hmm

1 - 20 of 29 Posts