Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the track tonight. Here's the twist, I took the Cavalier.

Watched some friends run their Mustangs and some other cars run.

I did two passes with the Cavalier. Just wanted to see what it does.

First run was against a Dodge Ram full size regular cab 4.7 V8 automatic.

I ran a 16.4 at 84.14 with a 60' of 2.422. I bogged the car by launching at too low an rpm. The Ram ran a 16.933 at 82.13.

Next pass was versus a Scion TC. I ran a 16.125 at 84.79 with a 2.354 60' and hit the sweet spot on the launch. I shifted to 4th a bit too early or I might have seen a 15.9xx run. It just takes way too much time for the car to wind out third if you know what I mean. The Scion ran a 16.534 at 82.19. It looked worse than it was because the Scion driver cut a .430 reaction time versus my .042. So at the big end I was a full 10 cars ahead and pulling away.

My reaction time versus the Dodge was .067 and his was .841. He wasn't even in the same zipcode as me when we finished.

It was fun to see what the car could do with a paper air filter that has 12,000 miles on it since it was changed and 81,000 miles on the odometer.

Best part was a guy I work with bet me $100 that his Lincoln Mark LT pick-up truck was faster than my Cavalier. His best run was a 16.7 at 80.9 mph his worst was 17.1 at 80.2.

I filled up with gas when I got home and averaged 32.8 mpg on the tank with the two runs on it. That's about 70% highway 30% city/dragstrip. Used someone elses money to pay for the gas and the racing too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Dodge 4.7's are dogs. Beat one easily with my 5.3 Sierra. The 5.7 Hemi's on the other hand is a different story...

Nice kills, I bet they were embarrased. :lol:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sounds like fun. You can't always be the fastest guy at the strip but it's always a challange to get the most out of any car. I Use to drive this slow ass late 70s Z28. I would race against my buddies with more modern & better modded cars. So the bet would be that I would out tree them and out sixty them. I knew going in they were going to beat me by 2 or 3 seconds down the track.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like fun. You can't always be the fastest guy at the strip but it's always a challange to get the most out of any car. I Use to drive this slow ass late 70s Z28. I would race against my buddies with more modern & better modded cars. So the bet would be that I would out tree them and out sixty them. I knew going in they were going to beat me by 2 or 3 seconds down the track.
There was a writer for Car and Driver back in the early 80's by the name of Gordon Baxter. He wrote about the slow car as a moving experience. He talked about how much fun it was to drive a Renault LeCar at full throttle most of the time and never get the attention of the police.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts