Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of a trailer hitch for the GTO. I would be willing to import from Aussie land if necessary.

WHY: i have a jetski

·
Registered
87 Posts
On Holden's web site, they show a hitch option. I was underneath the car the other day and noticed four threaded studs sticking down under the car from the spare tire area. Wonder it they might be for a hitch?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was also looking at putting a trailer hitch on mine. Not to tow anything but to be used to to attach a bike rack to the car so i can transport my downhill bike to the mountains up north.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
There will be at least one hitch for the GTO. After doing some research, I discovered that Curt Manufacturing will be making a GTO hitch. The hitch is currently on their engineering list and has a number assigned to it. Could be up to three months away.

You can check on it at their website: www.curtmfg.com or call 877-287-8634.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used to have a Porsche 944 that I ran at Porsche club drivers education events. I pulled a 5x8 trailer to haul my track tires and wheels, jack, fuel, tools, lawn chairs, cooler, etc. I would take my entire upright tool box with me. Worked great. Sure beat trying to stuff everything into the car.

At that time I lived in northern Indiana and I pulled it as far away as Road Atlanta.

I have a motorcycle trailer now that I may want to pull with the GTO.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Am I strange for having a hitch and towing a trailer with race tires and equipment on our Corvette? : )

Actually, Schulin or Schuling here in town makes one I'm pretty sure, and I'm sure I'll be installing one soon enough. I plan to go to Pro Solo events next year, therefore I will need a way to transport my racing things!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let me just say I am not anti-trailer. But the the idea of a hitch, conjures up an image of someone, somewhere, trying to pull their "house" with this car. oh no..another bad image just came to mind...4X4 GTO.
:eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
IdirecTV4u said:
Let me just say I am not anti-trailer. But the the idea of a hitch, conjures up an image of someone, somewhere, trying to pull their "house" with this car. oh no..another bad image just came to mind...4X4 GTO.
:eek:

Any one know where I can get some Mudders for my Goat?
:party

·
Registered
87 Posts
Whiteshadow said:
Am I strange for having a hitch and towing a trailer with race tires and equipment on our Corvette? : )

Actually, Schulin or Schuling here in town makes one I'm pretty sure, and I'm sure I'll be installing one soon enough. I plan to go to Pro Solo events next year, therefore I will need a way to transport my racing things!
It was back in the early 90's when I was hauling a trailer behind my 944 and I was a rarity. Wasn't too long before I saw more people doing it. At least three of my track buddies were soon pulling their own trailers.

Now it is quite common to see trailers being pulled to both autocrosses and track events behind all types of sports cars. They make some really nice, small open trailers for this, but I liked having all of my stuff dry, clean, and protected from prying hands. That's why I pulled an enclosed utility trailer. It also was a great place to go in case of a sudden rain storm or to change into my driving suit.

The alternative would have been to get a car trailer and a truck, which I did later on when I had a track car that was not very sreetable. However, by pulling the utility trailer, I got to drive my Porsche to and from the event rather than drive a truck. Other than driving into a headwind, I really didn't notice the trailer was there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would love to be able to tow with my goat. I have a motorhome, but my wife doesn't allow me to take it to the week-long firemen's convention I go to every year because the RV is "too nice". I'd like to get a crappy old trailer that I can swank up just to take to the convention, but I don't have anything I can tow one with other than the motorhome. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Curt hitch is pretty easy to install and is pretty low profile. The cutting part involves trimming away around a bolt hole in the plastic piece so the hitch will fit.

I had one issue with the hitch I received from Drophitch.com. One of the bolt holes was slight off. I had to use a file to enlarge that hole on the hitch so all of the bolts would go through their respective holes; it was a little annoying but not too much effort to correct (about 10 minutes filing the hole).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts