Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here... Love the forum!

I previously saw the thread where the GTO was pulling a little guy camper, so I just thought some may want to see the GTO pull other things too... I was even able to tack on a bike rack too.

The story is... I wanted to get better gas mileage than my Suburban for a few small trips. I decided to run a vacuum gauge to make sure I was not stressing the engine and also to let me know when I need to downshift ;) (You can see the red tube going into the cockpit in the final picture). I get a solid 20 MPG with the A/C on all the way. (Way better than my 10MPG with the truck :) Just got back from a 650 mile trip, worked great! I took it to my dealership (location for pics) just for kicks and giggles, the result, open mouths... :cool

Also pull an 8ft popup camper nicely. A GTO at work may seem wrong to some, but actually seeing one pull a trailer puts the competitors to rest... Let's see a ricer pull that off... :cool

If you are interested in towing, let me know, I'll help you out.

Thanks,
Dan
2005 GTO - 6M

·
Registered
140 Posts
Recommend a bra to keep the bugs off.

Other than that nothing wrong with towing except that I don't think the trailer was designed to go 0-60 in 4.6 seconds so be light-footed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As stated in the thread:

"I decided to run a vacuum gauge to make sure I was not stressing the engine and also to let me know when I need to downshift (You can see the red tube going into the cockpit in the final picture)."

There is the answer to the "amp power cord."

Dan

·
Registered
201 Posts
Close,Do you ever toast the tires at the ramp?I used to see an mid 60s Chevelle pulling a jet boat at the local lake it looked sweet.I wonder if he had disc brakes?I would think the Goat would tow 3500 lb great and drag bags would be a plus.:cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have installed a hitch yet, but I fear the steep, wet ramps. Sure, I never used 4WD with my truck, but it was there just in case. Plus, the truck was a lot taller, such that when 1/2 of the back tires were in the water, the bumper was not... That won't be true with the Goat. Thus I'm going to fab up a removable tongue extension for my trailer, so I can space the trailer away from the car another 10 feet when I'm at the ramp. That should give me enough clearance to keep the rear tires out of the water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.