Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have an '06 GTO with the M6 and i have noticed a problem that is getting worse. When starting from a stop in either 1st or 2nd depending on driving conditions it sometimes knock the shifter into nuetral when i'm not holding it in gear. This can happen several times a day around town or sometimes not at all. This sounds like worn gears to me but there is no way they can be worn with under 5,000 miles. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Chevypowered said:
So i have an '06 GTO with the M6 and i have noticed a problem that is getting worse. When starting from a stop in either 1st or 2nd depending on driving conditions it sometimes knock the shifter into nuetral when i'm not holding it in gear. This can happen several times a day around town or sometimes not at all. This sounds like worn gears to me but there is no way they can be worn with under 5,000 miles. Has anyone else had this problem?
Take it to the dealer. That is not normal operation.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Shifters popping out of gears is normally a synchronizer issue.

Many years ago I had a VW Beetle (old style) that popped out of 4th gear. At first I could hold it with light pressure, and it stayed in; it eventually got to the point I wasn't strong enough to hold it in- - crazy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are going to try and replace some springs in the shifter and see if it helps, but i think its a bigger issue than just some springs, we'll find out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts