Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of tranny would u suggest for a 64 GTO with a crossbred 383 motor in it that will be dragging the 1/4?

·
Registered
23 Posts
baja said:
what kind of tranny would u suggest for a 64 GTO with a crossbred 383 motor in it that will be dragging the 1/4?
Well.....It really depends on alot of variables. It's hard to beat a TH400 for durability. A well built TH350 will do the job, too, with the benefit of a lower first gear. I had a Powerglide in my 64 that was awesome, but I also had the torque #'s to pull it off.

EDIT - I forgot to mention that the Powerglide with the B-O-P bell housing was called a Super Turbine 300........lol

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I heard it actually takes more power to "run" the larger TH400 tranny, so with that in mind, the parts they have available for the TH350 would make it the better choice. If you think about it, it's lighter and just as strong if not stronger (modified) then to me it's a no-brainer, btw they are cheap as hell to find too! :cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
GTODEALER said:
I heard it actually takes more power to "run" the larger TH400 tranny,
Well.......fractionally so. Not much. But I agree, if it were me, and I wasn't making 5-600 hp+, I'd use the TH350.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it has an original muncie 4 spd in it as it stands. i want to restore the car to stock specs later on, so i think i want to save this tranny for the restoration. my friend and i are working on this together....he says use the muncie. that it is built for power and will stand up fine. i say it will get torn up and then be less valuable in the restoration.
opnions please

1 - 5 of 5 Posts