Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Hey Scott, I made my own trans crossmember out of tubular steel and made it a true bolt in rather than the factory "floating" crossmember. To bolt it in I welded in boxing plates on either side of the frame that are flush with the inside channel opening. On either side of the new crossmember I fabricated some simple plates that welded on each end to bolt to the boxing plates. The crossmember has a dip in the center with the transmission mount welded on it.

This unit from Speedway Motors looks pretty identical to what I fabbed (and would have probably saved me some time :tongue:) except I have 4 bolt flanges on the ends instead of 3.

Tubular Transmission Mount with 2 Inch Drop - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Scott, I made my own trans crossmember out of tubular steel and made it a true bolt in rather than the factory "floating" crossmember. To bolt it in I welded in boxing plates on either side of the frame that are flush with the inside channel opening. On either side of the new crossmember I fabricated some simple plates that welded on each end to bolt to the boxing plates. The crossmember has a dip in the center with the transmission mount welded on it.

This unit from Speedway Motors looks pretty identical to what I fabbed (and would have probably saved me some time :tongue:) except I have 4 bolt flanges on the ends instead of 3.

Tubular Transmission Mount with 2 Inch Drop - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop
Thanks
Is there any dimensions published anywhere?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the steel to make the one in my post.

If anyone else made one, I'd be glad of any advice.

The one at speedways does seem like a good cheap alternative though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts