Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 6MT. Noticed a whirring noise in transmission/clutch, most prevalent during the CAGS forced 1-4 shift at low rpm. I can also hear it more faintly while cruising slowly in 1st or 2nd gear. At first I thought it was the ventilation fan running, same sort of sound but coming from below the shifter area. Other 6MT people experience this?

Sorry if it has been adressed before, couldn't locate with search.

Greg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Similar sound in my 04

I just got an 04 GTO w/ 23K miles on it last week and I notice a grinding/whurring sound in 2nd gear accompanied by a loud engagement into 3rd. The dealer told me this was normal, but I think he was just trying to brush me off.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
You are probably hearing the synchronizers doing their thing.

As for durability of the T56.....yes probably, but smoothness.... definitely not it's clunky.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm thinking you are hearing what I started experiencing about 3 weeks ago.. when i depress clutch and shift gears (at least 1/2 2/3/ 3/4 ) at about 4000rpms i get a noise i thought was a through out bearing or something,,, you hear it spinning down .. dealer looked at it and took the tranny apart and inspected everything.. talked to engineers.. engineers didn't know and suggested i shift at the shift points in the manual (yeah right and i'm never going to exceed the speed limit either).. i put rp in and that made no difference in sound but shifts like butter now.. i'm beginning to think like the 2 mechanics it's coming from the cooler line.. it's more like from the side of the tranny (passenger's side) than inside the tranny it seems... If y'all figure it out please post...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts