Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 GTO A4

I'm getting a transmission from jasper engines. The mechanic that is going to install it says I need to reprogram my ecu. Is that true? I haven't seen anything about that anywhere on the internet. He's also saying I need to balance my drive shaft which I had replaced 5 years ago. He's also saying I should replace my crank shaft seal housing to prevent oil leaks in the future. He also says my oil pump isn't pumping out enough pressure anymore which I might believe because I keep getting a check oil light even though my oil is full. Does the check oil light come on for transmission fluid low level cuz I had a transmission fluid leak.

Will reprogramming the ecu do anything when getting a rebuilt transmission? Also do you think any of the other recommended fixes will help?

I drive my GTO easy

The reason I'm getting a rebuilt transmission is because I couldn't get into 3rd and 4th. From everything I've read it requires a transmission rebuild.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
If it's a stock replacement it shouldn't need to be tuned. If it's a built trans or an upgraded trans and you're replacing or upgrading the torque converter with it, you're going to want to dial it in correctly on the tune.

Things that can be tuned for trans/converter:

Shift Point Tuning
Full throttle shift speed
Full trottle RPM
Half Throttle Speed
Half Throttle RPM
Shift Pressures
Torque Converter Clutch Duty Cycle (max/min pressures)
Torque Converter Clutch Apply/Release speed (aka lock up)
Torque Management

Also, Always a good idea to do the rear main seal when the trans is out like the trans guy said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's a stock replacement it shouldn't need to be tuned. If it's a built trans or an upgraded trans and you're replacing or upgrading the torque converter with it, you're going to want to dial it in correctly on the tune.

Things that can be tuned for trans/converter:

Shift Point Tuning
Full throttle shift speed
Full trottle RPM
Half Throttle Speed
Half Throttle RPM
Shift Pressures
Torque Converter Clutch Duty Cycle (max/min pressures)
Torque Converter Clutch Apply/Release speed (aka lock up)
Torque Management

Also, Always a good idea to do the rear main seal when the trans is out like the trans guy said.
What about the check oil light I keep getting? Someone on GTO owners on facebook just told me the oil pressure sensor is known to go out on the new GTO's. Every time I floor it I get a check oil light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts