Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - new to the forum but I am assuming if you are like other classic car automotive forums you probably get people asking about how to find a car they have previously owned :smile3:. A little background...My brother and I helped my dad restore a 1967 GTO in the early 2000's. While we all love the car very much my dad continues to talk about his (first car) 1970 GTO and for as long as I can remember he's regretted ever getting rid of it (hence why I don't plan to get rid of my first car, a 1999 Sonoma:wink3:). Of course it is a very long shot being from salt-road ridden Michigan, but I was wondering if anyone here has any tips for hunting the exact car down. Does anyone know if the DMV can look up cars within the state matching the description or give a history of cars a given person has owned? If anything, it leads to someone who doesn't want to sell or it being salvaged which would would bring closure for us, but at the very least I could set out to find one that is similar to his to deliver as a birthday present some day. Any tips or pointers on tracking this car down? I believe it was either a Coronado or Granada Gold hardtop from the one picture I've seen and I believe it had a his and her shifter by the way he's described shifting it. Not sure what motor it had in it. Obviously a 1 in 18,000 chance but I am up for a treasure hunt.

Thanks and will keep this thread updated if anything materializes out of this!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I recently suggested to another poster that they contact PHS to see if anyone had requested docs on the car they were looking for. Good news and bad news. Yes, someone had asked for the docs, but PHS said they didn't keep a record of who asked. Of course, you need the VIN for them to check. If enough people ask, maybe PHS will start keeping records of who requested the docs. Then, like an adoption agency, for $20.00 (or whatever), they will contact whoever asked for the docs and give them your info. It'll be up to that person if they want to contact you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion pjw1967 - I may look into this after I get my hands on the VIN number. I also stopped at the secy of state office yesterday and they said they could look up my dad's registration history, but only if he was present...so that would ruin any surprise if I go that route. Doing a little more digging I found a form on their website to request partial information with the report having personal information redacted (likely for insurance/employers/banks to look up info on an applicant)...which may be OK given I am only looking for the VIN number. We'll give that a shot next.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts