Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me throw out another question. I'm in central Iowa. I've been told by a few people that there is a guy around Omaha that specializes in Pontiac tri powers. But no one remembers his name or how to get ahold of him. First, does anyone know this person? Second, looking for opinions on converting to the tri power set up. I'm inclined to stay with the 4 bbl but could be convinced to switch, for a reasonable price.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Can't help you with references. Can say that a tripower is a bolt on upgrade that will add noticeable performance to the car and add visual appeal. That said, Tripower GTO's are getting to be like SS El Caminos: it seems like EVERY early GTO I see is a tripower convert. (I haven't seen a NON SS El Camino in about 25 years) . Four- barrel early GTO's are going the way of the Tempest and the Do-Do bird, which is sad. They are all being cloned into 'upgraded' verisions. My vote is to keep it original and run the 4bbl if the performance of your car suits you. A stem to stern tripower set-up for your car, parts alone in good shape will run you $1800 and up. If you are not a mechanic, or mechanically inclined, paying to have it installed and dialed in will cost you more.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer. That's been my leaning all along. I can't believe how many people are telling me "it's not a GTO without a tripower". Actually what I'd like to do is put on a good aluminum intake and edelbrock carb. They look good and should provide good trouble free driving. I know that's going to get some comments too..

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Very few GTO's came through with Tripower. Less than 20%. The Carter AFB is a better carb than the Edelbrock, (which is a copy of the AFB) and the Quadrajet is a better carb than the Carter. The best performing 4 bbl set up for the street would be a '68-'72 stock Pontiac intake and a Quadrajet, bar none. Far superior than the aftermarket stuff. Others may chime in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts