Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A member had a noise coming from the front end of the car while driving:

"Bought my 65 in 2011. A 10 year frame-off resto had been completed in 1998.

About a month ago, I started to notice a rotational noise that seemed to be coming from the left front. Sounded like a wheel bearing. Pulled the bearing and examined it. Bearing - less than a year old - was fine.

Noise is intermittent (comes and goes). Metallic in nature. Increases, decreases with speed of travel.

Transmission was completely rebuilt in 2018, plus new driveshaft was installed.

I'm stumped. Anyone got a suggestion as to what to check next?"

The suspected sound was thought to be a possible wheel bearing, brake dragging issue, and a front end part worn out, or even a bearing going bad in the water pump or alternator.

The noise turned out to be coming from the original Rally I trim ring and its installation clips.

https://www.gtoforum.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=892871

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was the new member with the front-end noise in my 65 Goat. After pulling the inner and outer bearings on the front left wheel and finding they were in perfect shape, I posted to this forum seeking advice and got some very sound suggestions as to what might be creating the noise.

Oddly, the problem turned out to be the cheapest and easiest thing of all to fix. I popped off the Rally 1 trim rings and the noise disappeared. The rings were improperly installed (i.e., "lopper-jawwed", for lack of a better term). Reinstalling them in secure fashion solved the problem.

THE BIG PICTURE: Fixing problems on 50-plus year old cars isn't easy for people who primarily deal with automobiles built with modern technology. Make no mistake about it, it often takes an OLD SCHOOL MECHANIC to properly diagnose an OLD SCHOOL PROBLEM.

If you're "old school" and have been wrenching on cars since you were a teen, don't let the talking heads on TV try to convince you that you're no longer relevant. People like you are the main reason old cars are still occasionally seen on the road and why many of us still manage to gather at car shows and cruise-ins.

Give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back, maybe have some Holiday cheer and, above all else, keep contributing to this Forum.

Sincerely,
65 GTO Jim (currently 74 and still walking and talking)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts