Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
that is quite a specific question, kinda like....... true or false, a chevy aveo is the fastest car in America you can buy (brand new/stock) under $9K

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tommycheng1728 said:
that is quite a specific question, kinda like....... true or false, a chevy aveo is the fastest car in America you can buy (brand new/stock) under $9K
Its a little different when we are talking about a car that will do 160mph, not to mention 0-60 in 4.7 seconds for under 34 grand. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
fullarmor2 said:
Its a little different when we are talking about a car that will do 160mph, not to mention 0-60 in 4.7 seconds for under 34 grand. :D
Don't dget me wrong, I love my GTO, but I have seen hondas that will do the same numbers for well under $10K, but to answer your original question, for $34K, the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII MR is faster than the GTO by 0.1 seconds 0-60 and 0.2 seconds faster than the GTO in the quarter mile, but oddly enough, 0-100, the GTO is faster by half a second. but if you want to save $2 grand, for $32K, the Subaru WRX STi is slower than the GTO by 0.2 seconds 0-60 but is 0.2 faster than the GTO in the quarter mile. Hope I answered your question, but if you asked me: true of false? The GTO is the fastest (*AMERICAN/AUSTRAILIAN*) new car you can buy in the world for under 34 grand. (New without mods.) I would say: YES!!!:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
fullarmor2 said:
I did not answer the original statement one way or the other, however, try finding a car with a v-8 that is in the same class please.:lol:
REVISED.........The GTO is the fastest new 2 door car you can buy in the world that has a V8 and is not Japan made for under 34 grand. (New without mods.)

Now you got me stumped.........:lol:

·
Registered
115 Posts
fullarmor2 said:
I should have specified v-8 in the first place. I mean who cares if a four or six banger can compete when you give up certain things like low end torque(usually). I'm just playing regarding this thread anyway!:)
I know, you caught me working late tonight:D , I personally would not trade my GTO for any of the imports, I dont car about tenths of a second speed wise, its all on the driver anyways, but I do care that my interior is 1000 times better and more comfortable than their stripped down interiors.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
tommycheng1728 said:
Don't dget me wrong, I love my GTO, but I have seen hondas that will do the same numbers for well under $10K, but to answer your original question, for $34K, the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII MR is faster than the GTO by 0.1 seconds 0-60 and 0.2 seconds faster than the GTO in the quarter mile, but oddly enough, 0-100, the GTO is faster by half a second. but if you want to save $2 grand, for $32K, the Subaru WRX STi is slower than the GTO by 0.2 seconds 0-60 but is 0.2 faster than the GTO in the quarter mile. Hope I answered your question, but if you asked me: true of false? The GTO is the fastest (*AMERICAN/AUSTRAILIAN*) new car you can buy in the world for under 34 grand. (New without mods.) I would say: YES!!!:D

I completely disagree with an STI being faster than our cars. I have never been beat by a stock car EVO or STI.

Also they claim a 4.9 0-60 on their site.

+ we get better gas mileage than their 4 cyl.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
The original question was fastest (top speed) not quickest (0-mullet or 1/4 mullet).

The GTO is faster than the little ricer 4 bangers.

Now back to the original question. Is the GTO the fastest new car you can buy for less than $34K.

Sorry, but no it's not.

If you have pictures of your local Chevy store owner in bed with his "assisstant". You can likely get a steep discount on a new Z06 that will net out below $34K.

Pictures of your local Chevy store owner in bed with his service manager, below $24K.

Pictures of your your local Chevy store owner with any Massachusetts politician plus a sheep, now you're below $10K.

:D

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Jeffs386 said:
Camaro and Challenger will NOT be under 34K
Say what? Grow up in Latvia Jeff?

I'd be extremely surprised if GM did not position the Camaro to do battle with the Mustang for the Mullet Market. That is what the Camaro brand represents. Cheap, low tech, poor taste, pony cars. That's a market that GM has completely abandoned at the moment. Ford is cleaning up.

Didn't you hear the collective Mullet-moan when the GTO was rolled out and the F-body faithful lined up to buy a Trans-Am replacement only to find out they needed a few more hours of overtime to pay for it. Not to mention, there was no plastic, where's the plastic!!! There was total confusion.

Dodge will likely position the Challenger as a "musclecar" in the $34-$38K range specifically to separate it from Mustang/Camaro.

But the Camaro....it will start around $23K and top out around $30K with the really big front air dam and cool decals.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Another reason the GTO should have never been named the GTO.

It's not the same as the bigass, handles like ****, solid rear axle, plastic everywhere and built with log-cabin tolerances stang.

It should have been called the Pontiac Monaro or whatever. Calling it the GTO, imho, was always a bad idea.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
The original question was fastest (top speed) not quickest (0-mullet or 1/4 mullet).

The GTO is faster than the little ricer 4 bangers.

:D

Sorry, but how is an STi or EVO a "ricer?" Everything you see on the car from the factory is functional and benefits the respective car in the performance category. The defenition of "rice" is unnecessary modifications to a vehicles interior or exterior that not only make the car uglier, it also drops the performance potential of the vehicle, i.e. big heavy wheels, stupid body kits, etc.

One of the things I hate the most about vehicle specific "enthusiast" sites is the absolute ignorance of other vehicles especially when it comes to American V8 owning people trying to play down Asian cars. I don't know if that was your intention, but I see it a lot here and it is really getting lame.

·
Registered
850 Posts
jacobyb said:
Sorry, but how is an STi or EVO a "ricer?" Everything you see on the car from the factory is functional and benefits the respective car in the performance category. The defenition of "rice" is unnecessary modifications to a vehicles interior or exterior that not only make the car uglier, it also drops the performance potential of the vehicle, i.e. big heavy wheels, stupid body kits, etc.

One of the things I hate the most about vehicle specific "enthusiast" sites is the absolute ignorance of other vehicles especially when it comes to American V8 owning people trying to play down Asian cars. I don't know if that was your intention, but I see it a lot here and it is really getting lame.
jacobyb, I don't think he was referring the STi or EVO as a "ricer", he was just stating that the GTO is faster than 4 cylinder "ricers" in general...or, that is at least the way that I interrpeted.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
jacobyb said:

imports suck!!!!!

z06 dominates all!!!!

AHAHAHAHA!!!!!! just kidding.

Seriously though. I have all respect for the STI, EVO, and the 350z. But I personally hate their styling, interior. A 4/6cyl can be an awesome engine if built right, which the above are. One of my top 3 cars is the legendary Supra Twin Turbo.

Its not that we are import haters, but there is a very legitimate stereotype with the majority of the owners of those vehicles.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
jacobyb said:

Thanks for the defense Goatgirl but, yeah, I was lumping the STI, EVO into the ricer category. Neon blue paint and giant rear wings that serve no purpose = rice. Only function there is to excite teenagers.

Fast? Yes.
Handle well? Yes.
Look like a kids matchbox car? Yes
Feel and sound like a tin can from the eighties? Yes.

Oh yeah, I've driven an STI. It's a joke. A friend owns an EVO. Another joke. I wonder how many 20 somethings that buy those things still own them 3 years later? Gotta wear on your nerves.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.