Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, looks like I might tackle the trunk pan replacement on my classic `65 GTO. A "friend" (who I`d like to deck if I see him) cut out the old pan and scab welded in a 7 piece kit. Problem was a blind folded 4yr old welding with his toes could have done a better job. He wrecked the new pan by cutting off the inner well lip. I ordered a new USA made kit and will probably install it myself. I have just a few questions for you body shop guys.
Looking at what`s left after I took the new wrecked floor pan out, I`m guessing I`m going to have to cut where I have the white dashed lines and drill holes in the replacement pans where the yellow circles are then fill the holes with weld?

I`m thinking I`ll have to cut off the rest of the trunk floor flange along the inner fender well....and drill holes in either the fender well or the new floor flange to weld together?

Also, how would a guy patch those lower inside inner fender wells?
Thanks for any responces.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts

Also, how would a guy patch those lower inside inner fender wells?
Thanks for any responces.
The trunk brace has a lip that will cover most of the circled rusted area and attaches to the inner fender well. I had to replace both of my braces and I had the same problem as in your picture. The area that is marked on the other pictures, Is that the old trunk floor?

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try a spot weld cutter to drill out the welds and remove the rest of the pan. I found this kit at Northern Tool.
Thanks, I just ordered one from NAPA, should have it this afternoon. So then I`m going to be looking for spot welds along were I have the white dashed lines to drill out?

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of products there...
I was thinking some sort of etching primer and a rubberized undercoating underneath and the speckle paint over the primer inside. Wash it with some thinner first. Would a guy have to sand the primer before undercoating and speckle painting? And I know the seam sealer goes around the outside seams, but do I use it on the two seams of the three main sections?

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The trunk kit went really well. I drilled holes in all the overlapping parts and spotted them all together. The guy who gob welded in the first kit cut about two inches too much from the top edge by the back seat area, I had to weld that back in too. I sealed up the edges and under side edges with the seam sealer and after it sets for a couple days I`ll sand it down and paint it with the spackle paint. That went so good I decided to do the floor pans too. Both sides, full length. Those went in soo good, I ordered the two panels that repair the under the back seat area too. The body shop that was going to do the work left tons of sand from sand blasting everywhere in the car, then left the car out in the rain for weeks, so now those panels are in need or replacing too.
Yesterday I painted the firewall and front frame horns/front suspension and set the motor/tranny back in. Today I'm going to finish hooking that up and try to paint the gas tank, radiator support and inner fender wells and bolt them back up too. I ordered a DA sander and some sand paper...might as well start on the rest of it too.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
Wow, Impressive work, everything looks great.

The surface rust on the floor pans doesn't look that bad, in addition to the frame and firewall I sprayed 60% black on the areas marked by the red line on my 67.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, Impressive work, everything looks great.

The surface rust on the floor pans doesn't look that bad, in addition to the frame and firewall I sprayed 60% black on the areas marked by the red line on my 67.
Thanks!
You can`t see in the pic, but I can see the road in a half dozen pin holes in that rear seat pan. And I was wondering if that area you marked should be black or the body color. How am I going to keep that area black when I shoot the color and that valance panel is on there?? Or shoot that panel off the car and assemble afterwords? Or tape the area and place the panel over the paper? Seems like stupid questions...sorry.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
On the 66, I'm going to spray my fenders, valiance, header panel, deck lid, doors and hood off of the car and assemble afterwards. I'll spray the trunk after the car to cover any overspray in the trunk.

Under the hood I'll be spraying 30% gloss black and the areas marked in red and the wiper linkage and brackets I'll spray 60% gloss black.

Here is a pic of the 67 when I sprayed the frame and firewall last fall,

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the top of that section there is a couple inches before that header/valance panel screws down that looks like it should be black too. But what about under that valance? Where the wiper tranny`s are...should that section be black? Or body color? Thanks for helping 05GTO, I really appreciate it. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
On the top of that section there is a couple inches before that header/valance panel screws down that looks like it should be black too. That strip just in front of the windshield which the cowl valence fastens too is the color of the car.

But what about under that valance? Where the wiper tranny`s are...should that section be black? Or body color?
Everything below the valence I sprayed 60% black, including the linkage and wiper braces.

Thanks for helping 05GTO, I really appreciate it. :)

No problem,

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did the black all the way up to that windshield tin. I put the radiator support, inner fenders, radiator, shifter, driveshaft and front wiring in. I`d like to get it so I can move it to and from another shed on it own. From there I was thinking I`d prep and paint the inside parts of the doors, trunk lid, fenders, inside door jams and then put the fenders and doors back on. Then tape off all the inside parts and paint the whole outside at once, or pay someone to shoot just the outside for me. MAACO?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts